The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fog Machines and smoke detectors...handling? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to fog machines and was concerned about how these two systems would impact upon each other. I'm thinking of using it for a school assembly show with a quick change and so it would be on for only a few seconds.

Can anyone offer me any insight into this?

Thanks!

jeff
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Be careful what fog juice you use. I hear that the oil-based stuff causes respiratory problems in some people.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
There's different types of fire detectors, the main being particle or rate of rise. Particle sensors pick up on smoke (and sometimes steam or dust). Rate of rise sense a rapid change in the temperature in that area. Most theatres and performance venues have rate of rise fitted for obvious reasons. Schools are very different. If the school frequently puts on productions that use smoke, pyros, etc then you should be clear to go (but check first). If particle sensors are installed, you could be liable for paying the bill when you trigger the system and the fire service are summoned (and its a fair cost too!).

I don't use smoke effects in school unless its been cleared with the Head and the Caretaker or Site Manager. Remember, its a school, a lot at stake. If particle sensors are fitted they'll be on max sensitivity in most cases!

Some systems can be temporarily disabled by entering a code and calling the watch centre to take it off fire service autowatch, but some venues don't want to be bothered with it all, or maybe just don't know.

Mark
Mark Daniel
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I've got a simple solution for you .. skip it. Believe me .. it's not worth having the fire department come out for a visit. If smoke detectors are present .. you will set them off. Most operate with a beam of light inside the unit. Once the beam is broken, the alarm goes off. It's not worth having to deal with all of that, not to mention any fines that may be involved.

You're talking with the king of smoke and fire .. I've been there, done that.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Fog Machines and smoke detectors...handling? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL