The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Do It Again! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
I've been performing magic for about two years now. Usually, I'll carry around a deck of cards or a couple of coins in my pocket to perform with. Lately, I've noticed that after almost every single effect I perform, I'm always asked the same question, "Can you do it again". I usually avoid repeating an effect. What do ya'll do?
Matthew
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Tell them you never repeat a trick because then there's no surprise.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Be prepared.
Do tricks that lend themselves to repetition, like mind reading with an 8/King stack - this is even better when it's repeated.
If you present an ACR routine, pause after the card appears on top of the deck the first time and let them say "do it again" (they don't' know you were going to anyway!).
Coins across can be presented the same way, if you pause after the first migration, get the idea?
You can also just say, "sure" and then do something else. I hate saying no to a spectator, but I also like to keep things on my terms and keep the surprises coming.
dabah2014
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
157 Posts

Profile of dabah2014
Well DDecae, there are certain effects you can repeat like 'coins across' and the Ambitous card routine. Unfortunately, many of the effects I perform do not have several phases like the two routines you mentioned. I thought it would be easy enough to just say 'sorry, but no' and not perform an effect again when someone asks me to. The only problem is a lot of people will dare me and say something like 'I bet you couldn't do it again' or they'll get annoyed.
Matthew
howie3
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of howie3
You tell them first time it's magic the second time it's educational.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Matthew I feel your pain. You've got a tough crowd there - I think kids are probably the worst at this, they are always saying "do it again". But I guess I hear that from kids because I'm just doing quick little impromptu tricks for kids.

I'd like to help you. Can you give an example of tricks you are doing that are always asked to be repeated?
JoeBlack
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JoeBlack
The best way to deal with this is to say "well if you liked that, check this one..." and do another routine.
If you don't want to do anything else just say something like howie3 suggested, just don't be rude while you are saying "No!".
MagicRocks
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of MagicRocks
Reject the audience with a joke like "Oh! My doctor says I can only do this once per day. "
They know what you are trying to say and probably stop asking you to do it after a short laughter.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Something along JoeBlack`s line works fine and be ready to do another trick, usually with the same props, if possible. Maybe as I sometimes explain: "that one was one of my older tricks, here`s a newer one", indicating that you want to show them the latest magic. In other words just keep the magic moving along. To end sometimes I let them know that I`m about to pause or finish by saying "and now for my last trick".

John
Nothing is better than more.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
828 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
So go ahead and do it again!
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I hear this a lot, and usually reply to "Can you do that again!" with "Absolutely!" and then a grin.

or

"Even better, I can show you something more incredible!"

Somtimes though it is inevitable that you have to kind of ignore the loud mouth who keeps saying. "Hey do that trick with the glass again" with a sideways look telegraph that you really can't repeat a trick. His wife or someone will explain it to him.
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Joe & Tom have given the best advice here. As Tom said, say something like "if you liked that you'll love this" & move on to another effect. Some effects are made to be repeated so maybe have a couple of those in your arsenal.
Another tip is to walk away while their jaws are still gaping in disbelief from what you've just done.
TopChange
View Profile
Regular user
Connecticut
166 Posts

Profile of TopChange
Do a different version of the same effect.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I have made it a personal policy to walk away if someone asks "Do it again!" because it makes certain I end on a high note. So... I thank them and put my hands in my pockets.
Bastien
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Bastien
Well said ToasterofDoom.

Sometimes it bears repeating that as the magician, you are the one in control. It's a hard lesson I've had to learn. It's my own preference to do one very strong effect I know I've mastered and then stop.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
I usually say: "Sorry, but I've practiced these all together.." then go into the next one.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I say sure ok and then do something different
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
dmueller
View Profile
Loyal user
Central Illinois
227 Posts

Profile of dmueller
I usually use a phrase along the lines of "the magicians code prevents me from performing the same effect twice in a row, because the first time is entertaining, the second is educating" This is always said with a smile, never rudely. 99% of the people I have come across let it go at that. As you know though, there are some who are just never satisfied.
Paco iglacias
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Paco iglacias
"sure I *can* do it again, but will I? Probably not, I got some better stuff."
Mike Ross
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
61 Posts

Profile of Mike Ross
"Well I can do that, or I could say **** you"
(jokingly though)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Do It Again! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL