The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Paper to Money - Color the paper? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Garrett
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
258 Posts

Profile of Garrett
I tried searching for this, but didn't want to weed through 100 pages of stuff.

Anyhow, I'm in the process of making up an "easy money" gimmick (the Prophet version) using paper to money. The paper is white, so I'm worried about the difference in border color, as it seems like it will be very noticeable, even from a distance. For someone who has made a gimmick like this before, did you color the borders of the paper? If so, what did you use to color them?

Thanks for the help!
Garrett
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
258 Posts

Profile of Garrett
By the way, I know there's a thread right below this one about using colored paper, but I'd like to stick with white (for the sake of contrast). I just need to figure out a way to deal with the borders.

Thanks!
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1087 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Hi Garrett
I saw yourSteve post and wanted to mention,you could use highlighter markers for the edges(the same width as the boarders).
If you don't get a perfect match,you could color the edges of the bills the same way,which would not hurt the effect at all and in some ways possibly help it.
All the best,
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5949 Posts

Profile of motown
You might also try a colored pencil or pastel chalk. You can find these at a good art supply store. You might also want to get a blending stick.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I made up Pat Pages Easy Money using Coupons instead of blank paper. The premise being that if you spend some time organizing your coupons you may end up counting your cash. I feel it provides a reason that the coupons turn into cash.

The coupon books from Costco are very nearly the right size as they come, just trim the ends a little. Because they are printed on a more news print like paper (not a stark white) and they often have a green border on one side they are less visible.

I perform It in Parlor Size Stand-Up, fairly Close but not Close-Up. I haven't had any problems with it.

-Mary Mowder
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2741 Posts

Profile of John Long
I used old resume off-white/slightly yellow paper, and it seems to blend well, and this does seem to give a good contrast in color. The problem was that the resume paper gradually develops tears.

Next, I tried tyvex (cut up an old mailing envelope). This stuff lasts longer than the bills, but the color was an issue. I used a highligher to color the edges and trimed them a bit. The next problem was the handling; I have dry hands and that stuff is very slippery.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Charcoal... it gives a textured look to the edges... the paper type is important too. You want something that is more fabric like and paper. Tyvek is a good type as mentioned above. Take a trip to the office supply store and see what you can find in the specialty paper section.

But charcoal works well... just make sure you handle it some so the loose particles wear off so youre hands don't get too messy.

Losts of different ways though... basically you are looking to add visual aging to paper since most money is worn and aged. Might take a trip to the craft store too.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-11-09 06:14, Mary Mowder wrote:
I made up Pat Pages Easy Money using Coupons instead of blank paper. The premise being that if you spend some time organizing your coupons you may end up counting your cash. I feel it provides a reason that the coupons turn into cash.

The coupon books from Costco are very nearly the right size as they come, just trim the ends a little. Because they are printed on a more news print like paper (not a stark white) and they often have a green border on one side they are less visible.

I perform It in Parlor Size Stand-Up, fairly Close but not Close-Up. I haven't had any problems with it.

-Mary Mowder

Thanks Mary!!!!
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I print up my own money for money magic and through trial and error I have fond that 100% cotton paper at the 24 weight feels like the real thing after printing. I also overspray a very light coat of sealer for obvious reasons.

I print double sided bills, or an odd corner on a bill or a mismade dollar where the serial number matches on both sides.

This worked the best for me.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I was able to find something that looked like bill stock at an office supply store, years ago. Just shop around.
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
I found using glossy paper helps this issue. It's actually harder to see through (it may be thin!) due to the reflection of paper property.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Paper to Money - Color the paper? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL