The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Most visible colour for billiard ball? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
514 Posts

Profile of travisb
White or yellow? Or something else?

-Travis
MagicByTJ
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of MagicByTJ
I love yellow especially in a blue/blacklite lighting, but if your gonna go classic white is your best bet!

-T.J.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Dunno, I'm daltonic.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-11-08 17:14, travisb wrote:

-Travis

Both are highly visible but it also depends on the color of the backdrop or background.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-11-08 17:14, travisb wrote:

-Travis

What are you wearing when you perform? Red is the classic for years. Then came white, but you must keep the balls in from of a dark color of your clothing. Do not hold against a white shirt.

It is said that yellow is a good replacement for white; as from stage, and with the bright stage lights, yellow will look white.

With the little information you give that is all I can comment on. Today we have such a large choice of colors and dayglow colors. Balls made out of different materials, I do not what to guess, as to what you are refering to in your question.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I always used to think red was the way to go. But then I read somewhere that white balls look bigger for the same size in red.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Somehow white and yellow looks brighter and bigger. This does not mean other colors are no good.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Wmhegbli and James Tong said it right. the colour of the ball means nothing if the color of your attire of backround doesn't compliment it. black clothing with white balls works well.

heres a great video of Arthur Trace performing for a real audience. It may give you insight on colours....
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I totally agree that contrast to your attire is the most important thing.

Regan
Mister Mystery
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-11-13 00:50, Nick W wrote:
Wmhegbli and James Tong said it right. the colour of the ball means nothing if the color of your attire of backround doesn't compliment it. black clothing with white balls works well.

heres a great video of Arthur Trace performing for a real audience. It may give you insight on colours....

I don't see a link to the video.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Nick.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The main thing you need is contrast. The most visible contrasts are black on yellow, yellow on black, black on white and white on black, in that order. That's why school buses are generally painted yellow with black lettering.

Yellow will not necessarily appear to be white under stage lighting, unless you have a lighting man who doesn't know how to keep colors true. However, if you are wearing black, yellow shows up beautifully against it.

However, if these are supposed to be billiard balls, then red or white would be the correct colors, since these are the actual colors used in billards. (not "pool". Pool is a different game), I would go with white.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bill is right, besides, you get really wet with pool! Smile

Regan
Mister Mystery
Townsend1
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Townsend1
After working on cruise ships for many years I found it helpful to carry a set of white and a set of orange. That way I would use the set that had the greatest contrast with the backdrop of the current ship.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Great stuff and thanks for chiming in Bill. You always know your stuff my friend. I go with white because of what I wear and the contrast of it against my attire and backdrops I use in the show.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Yes white balls look nice against that ultra bright blinding red coat.

Turn the coat down though, because Its burning my eyes. Smile

Steven
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
In "The Magic of Alan Wakeling" Steinmeyer reports that Roy Benson told a young Alan Wakeling to switch from red BBs to white BBs because "they'll look bigger on stage." He also suggested Wakeling use a 2" ball that, if white, "will look like 2-1/8".

The book also reports that Wakeling eventually moved up to 2-1/8" BBs, and for a while he even used BBs that were 2-1/4".
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1140 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
I vote White and Yellow. Smile
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Robert The Magical Radway
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Robert The Magical Radway
I would agree that it depends on the situation, backdrop, costume etc... but either white, erd or yellow work fine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Most visible colour for billiard ball? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL