The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Any recommendations of bizarre books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Hey there, I've just started getting into more bizarre effects. I've recently read Strange Ceremonies by Burger, Handbook of Horror by Cameron, and ...Dopplegangers by Tony Shiels.

I've also read a lot of Peter Marucci's effects from visions.

Anyone recommend some other good reading material?

Thanks in advance,

Liam
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
A couple of names for you to check out : Punx and Tony Andruzzi. Both put out some great stuff. Unfortunately, both might be difficult to find. If nothing else pick up a copy of the Complete Invocation. Indispensible for sparking your thinking.

But don't limit yourself to magic books. Any good book of mythology can be great for story ideas. Then, there is so much literature out there (scary and otherwise) that can be inspirational. I've always been a big fan of Ray Bradbury. I'd love to someday workout a whole close-up routine from Something Wicked This Way Comes. Maybe when I retire...

Mark
What would Wavy do?
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Thank you Mark.

I know of Tony Andruzzi, but can't find any of the books anywhere, even under the maskyln ye mage alais.

I have never heard of Punx though, thank you.

chat soon,

liam
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
Liam,
Here is an indispensible list:

The Compleat Invocation

Jim Magus Books
The Arcana of Bizarre Magick
Raising the Dead for Fun and Profit
Turn of a Friendly Card
Mysteries of the Runes
Tales from the Talking Board
The Jim Magus Video

Tony Doc Shiels Books
Something Strange
The Surreal Sorcery of Tony 'Doc' Shiels
Daemons, Darklings, and Dopplegangers
The Cantrip Codex
Then there were 3

Capricornian Tales by Christian Chelman

Peter Marucci's Bizarre Magick Lecture Notes

Eugene Burger's Books
Spirit Theater
Strange Ceremonies
Mastering the Art of Magic
Magic and Meaning

Eugene Poinc's The Practitioner Journey into Grey

Docc Hilford's Books
Band of the Hand
Mephisto's Journey
Mountains of Madness
Sign of Four
The Richey Technique
The Hermit of Dreams
The Lolita System
Fem Fatal

and there are many others.

Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
That is perfect Doug, thank you...

And I'm happy to say that although I haven't been concentrating on bizarre magic for very long, I've read a few of those already.

Your help is greatly appreciated, Doug.

Keep up the good work.

Liam.
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
Another good book is:
The Book Of Haunted Magick. By Rick Maue.
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are you looking for routines? Inspiration? Any particular flavor of imagery or technology?

Once you leave the confines of the dandy in a tuxedo, tophat and cane... the urban maze becomes a forest dark and deep. And most of the forest is uncharted.

Many who leave the limelit stage in their tuxedo with their rabbit on a leash to take a quick walk in woods are not heard from again. Some people tell stories of magician's rabbits that take revenge out in the woods. Others tell of ex-assistants waiting to saw their tormentors in two.

I now live in the woods. Perhaps we'll meet and swap stories one day. -Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
sokarnl
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of sokarnl
I would like to add the book "Seance" to the list.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2003-06-14 10:40, Doug Byrd wrote:

Jim Magus Books
The Arcana of Bizarre Magick
Raising the Dead for Fun and Profit
Turn of a Friendly Card
Mysteries of the Runes
Tales from the Talking Board
The Jim Magus Video

Hi Doug,
I was recommended to your site by Necromancer.
Unfortunately the link to Jim Magus products was not working.
I'm after descriptions of the contents of the above materials (ie which ones are marketing plans and which ones contain effects). Can you help? Smile
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
teejay~

I have all the books you listed, I however do not have the video. I am not at home at the momment, but I will try and help you out:

The Arcana of Bizarre Magick: This is a must have book - a nice collection of effects covering a wide range of disciplines, and will give you a nice foundation to build upon. There is also a bit on character developement. Nice read, for some reason this book does not get a lot of recommendation?? My only problem with this book and many of Jim's books, is he refers you to other books, which may or may not be hard to find, but he does explain how to do whatever the effect is. Start here if you want a good idea of what Jim is like.

Raising the Dead for Fun and Profit: I recommend this book, only if you have read Spirit Theater. Lots of good material, but the background information is just not there. Good do-able material and practical, if you have a working knowledge of seances. Very Portal material. He does offer examples of ads that he and others have run. Useable..? Depends on the person. Get Spirit Theater first, then this one.

Turn of a Friendly Card: Pretty good book - card trickery using Tarot cards. Not my thing and not recommended, if you do any real readings. If you use tarot cards as s prop, then this book has loads of material in it.

Mysteries of the Runes: This was the first book I bought from Jim. Get this for the bleeding rune stone alone! I am not sure how useful this book is, for someone not into runes, but I like the above effect, worth the 20.00 for that alone, at least for me.

Tales from the Talking Board: This book did not do anything for me?? There is material there for the right person, it however read cold for me. I did better with Lee's Beyond the Otherside effect, but that is me. Maybe in a year, I will reread this book and see something, I missed.

I do like Jim's stuff, but it is not for everyone.

Kevin Smile
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
Capricornian Tales is excellent. I like Bizarre with a lighter touch myself. Check out the Eugene Burger Spirit Theater video for a great example of how he achieves this.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
Without reservation I recommend "Sheherzade" by Borodin. Available from the translator. H&R and other fine specialty book handlers. GC Smile
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Hey guys, thank you for your help. Ultimately, I'm looking for inspiration to create my own material, but it seems that most bizarre books (at least the ones I've read) are very inspiring.

Now I'm going to have to save and buy stack loads of books!!! How terrible!!!!! hehehehe!

Thank you again for your help gents,

Liam
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Good reccomendations all.
I will add that one book that
really inspired me early on
was Lovecraftian Ceremonies
by Steven Minch.

Good luck as you begin this
strange and wonderful journey.

Dave
Martin Carli
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
110 Posts

Profile of Martin Carli
Hello,

One of the masters of Bizarre Magick is Carl Herron, better known as Brother Shadow. Seek his books out. He is a master at mingling storytelling with magic. His book Some Shadowy Paths and Byways is a must. Any book by Robert Neale (even the Origami one!) will also prove to be an incredible investment in storytelling magic.

As for me, I read any book of stories I can get my hands on. When I read an inspiring story, I work on it to see if magic can enhance it in any way.

Pleasant reading... A lifetime of it awaits you!

Martin

P.S. Might I add that Capricornian Tales is excellent, BUT Légendes Urbaines, by the same author, is out of this world! It comprises all of Capricornian Tales, and represents an excellent reason to learn French!!! (Other than because it is the language of love...) Hee Hee
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Cheers for your help guys!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Doug up there came up with a great list ... and Brother Shadow is certainly a wonderful addition to any Bizarrist!

:comply:
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
If you are looking for inspiration then you might want to check out Man, Myth, & Magic and also Mysteries of the Unexplained.

I just picked these two book up at Bob Little's Super Sunday and I find them to be interesting and inspirational.

Good Luck
George
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Sir T
Thanks a million for the excellent reply.
Sorry about the lateness of this. I've been away for a few days.
Keep up the good work
Thanks again
TJ
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
Poinc's "The Practioner". Great lessons in creating a character and magic stories
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Any recommendations of bizarre books? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL