The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Top Five Marketing Courses for Magicians (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
I bought the bronze version of Jim's course a couple days before his "Fathers Day Free Upgrade" special hit. Obviously I didn't know it was coming, but Jim sent me the free upgrade anyway! That was a classy move in my book.

So far the information has been good. Some of it I already learned the hard way (wish I woulda' bought the course sooner). Some of it I'm putting to use immediately. It's too soon to measure "results" but so far the investment seems worthwhile.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Don:

All understood and not taken as "mean" in any way. Your comments and directions are excellent and greatly appreciated.

I was not looking for a shortcut. I'm thinking (and maybe I'm wrong) that a decent course would not simply give me shortcuts, but rather help me think in certain directions that I would not normally look at and see things that I otherwise would not recognise. All of which are, of course, perfectly useless to me unless I act on them and integrate them into my personality and work style.

That being said, I took from your post that there are at least two basic different schools of thought, which would show through in the directions given. The result would be that I have things to implement that do not fit me as well as something else might, and I wind up frustrated and resenting having spent the time and money. Someone else might take it and launch big - to me, an ill-fitting premise would be a boat anchor.

Does that make sense? Or is my lack of real-world experience showing through?
Ed
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think you might be too new (inexperienced) to determine that phone selling is not for you, once and for all. I percieve it as though you are giving up without trying very hard / very long.

Sometimes you have to try (or at least learn about) lots of different things to determine whats not for you. That is why one of my approaches is to read lots of different material, and learn as much as possible.

In regards to magic courses. Don't you already have Jack Turk's PT birthday course? I seem to remember reading that in a post somewhere. What are you doing with that information (before you go looking at buying more)?

- Donald

P.S. At one time, Jim Snack made an excellent observation that kids entertainers should get Eric Paul's course first, and then his course. Many agreed with his assessment. So, that might be one thought. However, you can only buy used copies of Eric's course now. It might be harder to track down an original copy, but not impossible.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
Don't you already have Jack Turk's PT birthday course?

No - I'm on his email list.

And, quite sadly, I "discovered" Eric Paul only late last year.
I did see that video presentation - I think it was one of his last before a convention. I might check and see if I can get his course somewhere.

I've been thinking seriously about Jim Snack's course. I did get his five free emails, and have exchanged a few other emails with him.

Part of the problem is available funds to purchase. The other part is that I'm not yet actively in business, and so do not have a forum to practice what I learn. I hope to rememdy that situation in a few months.

As for experience, I've done a few things in the 35 years I've been out of high school. I've even tried an entertainment business before. So I've got a bit of experience at banging my head against brick walls.

Ed
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2010-06-22 18:36, Ed_Millis wrote:
I am NOT good with typical "sales": finding the soft spot, setting the hook, overcoming objections, closing the trap - er, sale.

Ed -

I'm pulling up this earlier quote from you.

You don't have to sell your show that way at the beginning. Especially if it's beyond your abilities or understanding, or not your style.

Just try a simple description on the phone, quote rates, and ask if they'd like to book a show.

Write out a script first, if it will help.

Also, ask the customer a few questions early in the phone conversation, to show genuine interest and gather relevevant information.

You can do this, even without buying any courses to start with. I can think of a number of magic business books as well, but I don't really think you need them either.

Book some free shows at first, then book some shows for a starter fee, and build your part-time business from there. You can market for those shows in various inexpensive ways to start with.

- Donald

P.S. Jack's PT Birthday Entertainer Course is one of the less expensive products mentioned on this thread. It's only $49, and occassionally comes on sale as a downloadable version, for less.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Quote:
Part of the problem is available funds to purchase. The other part is that I'm not yet actively in business, and so do not have a forum to practice what I learn. I hope to rememdy that situation in a few months.

What prevents you from starting to accept work? You've been delaying this for a while. Why not do a few birthdays for kids on your street (for example)? This isn't a business where you hang up a sign and open your doors. You can ease into it.

Some people wait until the time is "right" to make a move and, usually, the time never comes. There are opportunities around us every day if we look for them and are willing to act on them.

Perhaps you have good reason to delay (or perhaps you only think your reason is good). Regardless, I sincerely wish you much success!
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Ed,

Scott and Donald are offering you excellent advice. First, make the decision to start building your part-time performing business today, not three months from now. It all starts with making that decision. Then, as Scott suggested, get out there and start doing shows, even if that means doing a free show or two at a nursing home or hospital. If you act is any good, a staff member or other employee will pick up your card and you'll get a paid spin-off booking, and the ball will start rolling.

Regarding marketing and business courses, you are correct that a decent course will help you think in certain directions that you would not normally look at and see things that you otherwise would not recognize. There is no "perfect fit" when it comes to information put out by other magicians, and there is not a single path to success. Simply learn as much as possible from those who have traveled this journey before you, pick strategies and tactics that appeal to you, and start blazing your trail. Don't fall into the trap of "analysis paralysis." As I often teach in my seminars when someone does not know what to do next: "Any action beats inaction."

Break a thread...

Jim

PS: A note to Café readers looking for a marketing course, I haven't advertised it, but anyone who invests in the downloadable Bronze version on my Success in Magic course during the month of June, is going to get a free upgrade to the Silver Version that includes the dozen audio seminars. I've been thinking about phasing out the Bronze version because the information is the audio seminars really updates and completes the course. You may see that next month.
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Ed, as many above have said, you got to get out and "Do It!!!"

I'm not sure what you are wating for.

Do you have a product (show, act...whatever)?

Is there a market in Yuma for your product? You may have to decide with your product how far you have to go to get work for it.

Start promoting, letting folks know what you do etc.

As far as Eric Paul goes, try Google videos, My Space videos etc. He has countless videos up on marketing techniques and strategies that you can access.

Blair
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree, the best way to do something is to just simply "do it."

Until you become a man of action, nothing can help.
And then once you do become a man of action, you won't need much help.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I greatly appreciate the support from all who are responding. I really didn't mean to hijack a general-purpose thread and turn it into a "help Ed" topic! You guys are the best!!

"Just do it" -- I have been, as much as I can at the moment. I've done a few free shows at libraries and for friends. I do not have insurance yet, though, and that's a biggie for me. I've also got a full-time-plus day job that is currently working me 50-60 hours/week, Mon-Sat. 'S hookay - I have a job!! And the OT is going to pay for my insurance and business license (if all stays on track).

In the meantime, I'm scouring for business stuff, putting together a few new audience-involvement routines, working on a web site (not online yet - the one that's up there is a mess!), roughing out a business card, and putting together an applicatin for a street festival coming up in Oct. Oh - and trying to keep life flowing (family, church, friends, etc.), and even get a bit of sleep.

I do tend towards "analysis paralysis", but I also know that no business is ever built that way. There's so much to learn that will only come by walking the path and experiencing it. I have learned a few things about myself, though, and try to stay out of my own way. (One of my favorite quotes: "Success comes by finding out what you don't do good and DON'T DO THAT!")

Cheers!
Ed
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Ed -

While insurance is important, I performed for many years before I had it. There are many venues where you just don't need it.

I can't speak as to business license. I don't even know if you need that. I don't have one. Yes, I declare my business income and expenses for taxes, but that is a different topic.

The time you spend on too much research and then some other downtime (watching TV, surfing the web), could be spent performing and growing your business. This is your dream... live it! I promise you that you'll feel happier and more energized.

You have Sundays open for shows. Try to book a show for every Sunday, whether it be donated or not. Just do it. Take action!

There are some things that I'm not good at in business, but I still do them as best I can, because I'm not in a position to pay someone else to do it (yet, maybe not ever) or in a position to avoid the task. I wash dishes at home, too, but I sure wish I could pay someone to do that for me. Smile

As for quotes, here is one of my favorites:

"God gives every bird his worm, but He does not throw it into the nest." - Swedish Proverb

- Donald
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Ed, What I find interesting is that you are looking at doing this part time, not that you are jumping to full-time. So you are talking about a no-risk situation.

With that being said, I'm really not sure what your issues are.

B
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Ed:
I want to help you gain some focus.
Since you are aiming for part time, forget about:
- the website (don't "need" one)
- the business card (put your name and number on a piece of paper)
- the license (doubt its needed for a little side income)
- the insurance (OK...you make your own legal decision but I doubt that those who perform a few small shows here and there actually has insurance)
Anything else still in your way?
All the above can come when you are already making money and reducing your time at your other job.
Seriously, the list above are not real blocks to starting your side-business in magic (they are imaginary blocks to progressing). You just think you need them. You really don't. You're ready right now.
Even the show. You have something so get going and perform and improve along the way. The show won't actually be that great until you perform it many times in front of an audience anyway. No excuses here.
OK...now you're free to do your thing. Congrats! Now get going! This is a great day for you. You are now officially in business! It's as easy as that.
magus-inc
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of magus-inc
Donald you are correct there are certain element of the courses that you suggest, Jim Snack and Lou Sorreno that are suitable from people from any country, I have been given both courses. But on the other hand, the 'nitty gritty' is primarily USA based, and these thing just don't work in the UK.
Perhaps we are much more cynical over here but the question I asked is , is there any courses that suit us in the UK ? By purchasing the above courses, it is worth approx 10 dollars rather than the price they are trying to charge !!!
.....follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you........
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
I guess I'm confused by "these things just don't work in the UK." Are you talking about these kinds of strategies?

-- Client-focused, attention-getting headlines
-- Direct-response copy that speaks directly to the prospect
-- Using Adwords and SEO techniques to get found on the web
-- Creating packages of programs for your customers
-- Focusing on the market first, then developing a show
-- Bombarding prospects with social proof/testimonials
-- Video demos of your programs posted online

What makes any of these US-specific? I've seen similar approaches used all over. When I was in Singapore in 2009, I saw multiple ads in the local paper using exactly
these kinds of tactics.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I'm also confused by some of the things in magus-inc's post. While the examples in my course are based upon my experiences in the United States, topics like business planning for magicians, fee setting strategy, promotion, getting your act together and showmanship apply anywhere. Furthermore, the individual coaching and email support included with my course are worth much more than $10 he suggests they are worth.

But if that's what he feels it is worth, he can send me $10 via paypal to jpsnack@aol.com, since he was "given" both mine and Lou's course. I'm sure Lou would appreciate it also.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Good post Scott!!!

Blair
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Ed, it is virtually impossible to totally 'get' where you are at and what YOU want, need and desire in this thread. (Or at-least it is for me...)

Sooo… If you find this of value, I would be willing to chat with you personally and see if there is a simple, direct way of getting you close to YOUR desired dreams and outcomes.

If you would like (and you don't HAVE TO...) simple eMail me directly at Results@TheDean.net with a few 'windows' of opportunity to chat and a best direct dial access line and I will call you so we can chat and quickly see if we can move you closer to YOUR dreams and goals...

Sup to you, ok. No pressure one way or the other. (NO sales pitch... I don’t even have a kids-show course or anything...) just me trying to help is all.

“Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire."

Find Your Passion… DO Your Purpose… Make It Profitable!

Live “L.O.V.E.” Everyday!
Life Of Vibrant Expression!

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (Helping You Succeed) in Reno
<><

PS
Grab Your 100% FREE, No Foolin’ Success Event Playback AND Downloadable GIFTS Now?
http://www.EntertainersSuperConference.com

JOIN ME for Free Business Tips and Success Shares... and FUN-Stuff, of course!
= http://www.FaceBook.com/TheDeanOfSuccess
= http://www.YouTube.com/TheDeanOfSuccess
= http://www.Twitter.com/DeanOfSuccess
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ed you mention quotes, one of my favorite quotes comes from: Vince Lombardi, "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”

My other favorite comes from an older speaker named Earl Nightingale. "People are where they are because that is exactly where they really want to be - whether they will admit that or not."

When you put the two together we get this: "Until we make up our mind to do something, we just ain't gonna do it."

You seem to be a very smart person. I personally think all you need is a little more confidence to try. "You can do anything you set your mind to do" is not just a neat saying, it's a fact, but only when you're willing to try.

Just between us here, and this is my own quote, but it really is a million dollar secret: "You don't really have to own a pair of those tennis shoes to "just do it."

My suggestion is like some of the others have said. Maybe you just need to forget all the business details for now and enjoy the magic. Do what you can with what you got and grow as you go.

I honestly do understand exactly what you saying about it being hard to get things done while working a full time job. It can be very hard, but it can be done, especially when it's something you enjoy doing. We as humans do find a way to do the things we like doing, we make the time.

I certainly had a lot of bricks thrown my way during my early years, but bricks can be used to make a great foundation.

If I can help, let me know, and honestly I do wish you the best.

Ed, I strongly recommend that your very next move be to take Dean up on his offer. Talk with him and see where it goes.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:
On 2010-06-24 16:26, magus-inc wrote:
Donald you are correct there are certain element of the courses that you suggest, Jim Snack and Lou Sorreno that are suitable from people from any country, I have been given both courses. But on the other hand, the 'nitty gritty' is primarily USA based, and these thing just don't work in the UK.
Perhaps we are much more cynical over here but the question I asked is , is there any courses that suit us in the UK ? By purchasing the above courses, it is worth approx 10 dollars rather than the price they are trying to charge !!!

I have people from all over the world that are currently using the principles, techniques, and strategies that I share in my course, The Real Secrets, and they are using them with great success. The principles are universal to all human beings. People in the UK are no different. If you are in the UK and people aren't using the ideas in my course, then any one that does will be head and shoulders above their competition.

My course is a proven blueprint for success with testimonials from people that have applied the information. There is only one way to find out if the things I share work, and that is to apply the information and test it. There is no other way.

But I'm with Jim on this one. Since Magus was "given" these courses, he can also send me $10 via Paypal to Lou@LouSerrano.com

Life is a journey, not a destination. Set a goal, create a plan, execute the plan, and then start all over again. Those who take action will achieve results that aren't even imaginable to those who sit by the sidelines and dream.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Top Five Marketing Courses for Magicians (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL