The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic Requests during a gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
We all have requests of outrageous effects during our gigs like levitation and dumb things, but what about when your strolling and someone requests an effect that you did to them earlier in the event? I do an ambitious card with a folded card to wallet and people go ape sh*t over that routine and sometimes when I have a group of say 4 or 5 people around me one of them might have seen me do the ACR earlier and request it as "the wallet" trick. That is very anticlimactic and I often don't perform it upon request because of that. Sometimes what I will do is say no but I have something better and do the ACR anyways and that plays well. I'd like to hear what you guys do with requests because to me they are ant-climactic and takes away from the effect because there is no element of surprise.

Thanks!
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
It sounds like you have found an appropriate way to deal with the situation. Having a variety of effects ready to go is certainly the way to go.

In similar threads some people have shared insights into what and how to respond with out looking like you are refusing the request. Like saying I could show you that but it was pretty ordinary - I will show you this one that is even better.

Perhaps the new effect can look like you are commencing the same effect by taking out the cards etc but give it a different ending - I do a signed card to wallet and also "WOW" that appear similar in the beginning and both have a strong and unexpected ending. I would not do them straight after each other but as a call back they are great. Good luck with it.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
"Magic's like a good joke: I never tell it twice" - Works with all ages, 8 to 88.

And my favorite:

"You know when you have a dream that you wish you could get back to every further night you live? Yeah, that would be plain awesome, but you unfortunately can't. Such dreams are great because you can only live 'em once, and must cherish the memories of it. If you dream it back over and over again, it becomes reality, and reality is boring. Plus, you'd be living something that even though is not real feels good to be expéienced once in a while."

It shoots, it scores. And they won't ask you do "do that again", plus you get bonus poetic points.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I use the "joke" line all the time. It's something they understand.

"It's like telling a joke again, you already know the punch-line so it's not funny anymore."
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
What could be worse than a spectator bringing a friend over to you and saying, "Show him that trick where the card ends up under my drink!"?

I had this problem with a popular mental effect I do. I solved the problem by giving the trick a NAME. Now, right up front, I introduce the trick and call it "The Finger Trick" and I re-inforce/repeat the name throughout the effect. I should mention that it's only called The Finger Trick, because I tap their finger with mine during the presentation while reading their mind and a finger really has NOTHING to do with the method.
Now when I'm asked to perform it by request, they ask for "The Finger Trick" and the name does not tip the finale or cause the anti-climactic situation you described.
You could even name your routine "The Ambitious Card", because it is a good name, but you must re-inforce the name thoughout the effect so the audience remembers the name and associates it with the trick.

That is, IF you are willing to perform the effect again by request. I do it all the time because they pull their friends over and ask me to show THEM the trick. It's a compliment really, they want to share the experience they had with others.
Honestly, in my experience, they are not trying to figure out the method, they are just enjoying the impact the effect has on their friends, and if your sleight-of-hand and misdirection is good (and depending on the effect) you should not be concerned about your methods being discovered anyway.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 09:58, DDecae wrote:
What could be worse than a spectator bringing a friend over to you and saying, "Show him that trick where the card ends up under my drink!"?

I had this problem with a popular mental effect I do. I solved the problem by giving the trick a NAME. Now, right up front, I introduce the trick and call it "The Finger Trick" and I re-inforce/repeat the name throughout the effect. I should mention that it's only called The Finger Trick, because I tap their finger with mine during the presentation while reading their mind and a finger really has NOTHING to do with the method.
Now when I'm asked to perform it by request, they ask for "The Finger Trick" and the name does not tip the finale or cause the anti-climactic situation you described.
You could even name your routine "The Ambitious Card", because it is a good name, but you must re-inforce the name thoughout the effect so the audience remembers the name and associates it with the trick.

That is, IF you are willing to perform the effect again by request. I do it all the time because they pull their friends over and ask me to show THEM the trick. It's a compliment really, they want to share the experience they had with others.
Honestly, in my experience, they are not trying to figure out the method, they are just enjoying the impact the effect has on their friends, and if your sleight-of-hand and misdirection is good (and depending on the effect) you should not be concerned about your methods being discovered anyway.


Im not worried about being discovered, just the anti-climactic part
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Thank you all for your insight.
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Perhaps, for this specific situation, wehn someone requests the "wallet trick," you say "ok" and get out your wallet and pull out another trick that may be in it, such as a bill change, or something with your business card.
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1122 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 11:27, morpheis91 wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 09:58, DDecae wrote:
What could be worse than a spectator bringing a friend over to you and saying, "Show him that trick where the card ends up under my drink!"?

I had this problem with a popular mental effect I do. I solved the problem by giving the trick a NAME. Now, right up front, I introduce the trick and call it "The Finger Trick" and I re-inforce/repeat the name throughout the effect. I should mention that it's only called The Finger Trick, because I tap their finger with mine during the presentation while reading their mind and a finger really has NOTHING to do with the method.
Now when I'm asked to perform it by request, they ask for "The Finger Trick" and the name does not tip the finale or cause the anti-climactic situation you described.
You could even name your routine "The Ambitious Card", because it is a good name, but you must re-inforce the name thoughout the effect so the audience remembers the name and associates it with the trick.

That is, IF you are willing to perform the effect again by request. I do it all the time because they pull their friends over and ask me to show THEM the trick. It's a compliment really, they want to share the experience they had with others.
Honestly, in my experience, they are not trying to figure out the method, they are just enjoying the impact the effect has on their friends, and if your sleight-of-hand and misdirection is good (and depending on the effect) you should not be concerned about your methods being discovered anyway.


Im not worried about being discovered, just the anti-climactic part


That's what I figured, but I just mentioned it for completeness.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-11-12 12:27, JIMclubber64 wrote:
Perhaps, for this specific situation, wehn someone requests the "wallet trick," you say "ok" and get out your wallet and pull out another trick that may be in it, such as a bill change, or something with your business card.



Good idea!

You could do something that doesn't directly involve the wallet, and when they tell you that "this isn't the walltet trick I was talking about!" you could aswell be throwing said walled into your topit, asking "What wallet, again?".
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
morpheis91
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
155 Posts

Profile of morpheis91
Nice guys all great input, I'm going to place a packet trick in my wallet from now on.
Wilberto Casillas
https://phillymagic.com/products/chapslick
Use code at checkout to save: 'cafeslick'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magic Requests during a gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL