The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best DVD for 2009 ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
For me the best thing this year was the Manchurian Approach DVD set.

I literally couldn't do ANY work for about 2 weeks, it changed my perspective on EVERYTHING.

Gary
mwells
View Profile
New user
Salina, KS
35 Posts

Profile of mwells
I will add my vot for TA as well it is such an amazing set of dvds.
mwells
View Profile
New user
Salina, KS
35 Posts

Profile of mwells
A close second would have to be confessions of a needle swallower that was almost as good as TA.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Anyone else amused that the True Astonishment set is running away with the Best of 2009 vote when there is a thread with 8 pages of responses titled "Worst Effects on the True Astonishments Set"?

-Feral
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
TA set is overrated. Too many pipe dreams with little usable material.

Just because it came in a nice, shiny wooden box and cost a lot doesn't make it great.

It will probably win though thanks to typical crowd bahaviour.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Quote:
On 2009-12-24 13:11, Feral Chorus wrote:
Anyone else amused that the True Astonishment set is running away with the Best of 2009 vote when there is a thread with 8 pages of responses titled "Worst Effects on the True Astonishments Set"?

-Feral

TA has also a +1330 post reveiws with +83000 views on 45 pages!! A record on the Magic Café, no?
Smile Smile Smile
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Michael Vincent sets, pure class.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
I am amused only by the irony of the situation between being voted best and having a lengthy "worst of" thread. I have no opinion on the quality of the DVD's as I haven't seen them.

-Feral
Redsixer
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Redsixer
I started watching TA again tonight for the first time since it came out. I love this set! So many great things things to choose from. It re-enforces to me why I love magic.
magus-inc
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of magus-inc
There are so many dvds out there that it is an impossible question to answer but for value of money and content, Paul Gordon's DvD Card Startlers just cannot be beaten.

What other DVD series can give you 5 hours of tuition for £38. I can tell you as I have many dvds ... none.

A second point is that , this is no fancy frills, no set up audience whooping and cheering because they have been told to before recording starts. This is excellent and just cannot be beaten.
.....follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you........
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
I agree so much with magus-inc. I recently watched 8 card magic dvds over christmas. Paul Gordon's Card Startlers stands head and shoulders over the rest for content, value for money and style. I know I've said this before, but it's so true! And, the free book & trick "deal" I got was a clincher! JP
antonio123
View Profile
Regular user
Croatia
138 Posts

Profile of antonio123
Classic Magic of Michael Vincent
david blown
View Profile
New user
I'm palming all my posts except
71 Posts

Profile of david blown
When I saw which effects would be on the Bannon DVD I thought that this might not add much new to someone who owns already all of Bannons books. Anyone agree? I must admit I do not have seen the DVD but I'm much into Bannons work and do love the books. I'm more into books as DVDs anyways Smile

(for me, the best DVD was that one my girlfriend gave me with her and our two boys and a lot of smiles and laughter.. pure magic TO ME Smile
Aaron Little
View Profile
Loyal user
Lexington KY
263 Posts

Profile of Aaron Little
My vote is for The manchurian Approach. It is the set I personally got the most out of.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
T.A
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Matthew Wright - The Usual Suspect.
Why?
Entertaining performances.
The scripting is a masterclass. (check out the highly unusual coins across).
I have adopted and adapted one piece for close up work, and one for parlour.

Very close runners up:
Michael Vincent - Rhapsodies in Silver (depth and content)
Mark James - Supercharged Classics (achievable, fun, flowing routines)
John Carney - Master Sessions (Carney thinking & lessons)
Paul Gordon - Card Startlers (so much strong material - perhaps a few too many spelling & assembly tricks for me though).
Charlie
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
We can all agree 2009 was an outstanding year for magic DVD's. Hopefully 2010 will also bring a great selection to the market.
Northern California
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Quote:

-Feral

I'd have to agree. I purchased the set and was very dissapointed overall. There were definatley some interesting items for sure but in the end I choose to sell the set with no regrets. More power to those that enjoyed
NM
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 22:47, magicnorm wrote:
Quote:

-Feral

I'd have to agree. I purchased the set and was very dissapointed overall. There were definatley some interesting items for sure but in the end I choose to sell the set with no regrets. More power to those that enjoyed
NM

I third that. I was very much disspleased with the set, and for which I had to pay extra when it arrived here in Sweden. Was not worth the dough. A magical friend of mine here told me the same.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Quote:
On 2010-01-04 14:09, Peo Olsson wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 22:47, magicnorm wrote:
Quote:

-Feral

NM

I third that. I was very much disspleased with the set, and for which I had to pay extra when it arrived here in Sweden. Was not worth the dough. A magical friend of mine here told me the same.

I have not seen the videos but this seems like a classic case of a something trying to live up to the hype before it was released. We see this everyday in other media venues whether it is a movie, book, or record album. Before the TA DVD's where released their was probably 8 pages of responses from people who couldn't wait to see these DVD's.

I am not saying the DVD's are bad or good. I can only go by what is in the AoA books that I own. Sometimes transferring something from print to video doesn't always work.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best DVD for 2009 ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL