The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Shaking Hands ! LOL (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
315 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Ok,

so I have been working my way through the Royal Road to Card Magic for about a month now.... Only done chapter one but that's fine, I really want to learn this properly..

I just performed Poker Players Picnic followed by A Card and A Number for a couple of people I know.

It's surprising just how shaky my hands got. But both tricks went excellent and got the intended results (gasps of amazement etc)..

Then the interrogation came. One of the girls knows about key cards and she kept picking away at how the card and a number routine could of used that (which of course it doesn't) and the other talked about mathematics etc for the Poker Players Picnic.

I just kept reminding them that they both saw me thoroughly shuffle the cards before each trick.. Hehe they are baffled.

Performance #1 down... many more to come I hope.

Just had to share Smile
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Tiggod

Sounds like you enjoyed this positive experience and so did your amazed and baffled audience. How much better will it get when the hand shaking reduces?

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
You can shake one hand more than the other and then tell that hand to behave but when this hand cools down then the other shake badly and so on ... a good way to inject humor to cover the shaking.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Good job! You are also going about learning in exactly the right way. It's easy to get into the "hurry up" mode a move too fast to really build the foundation. Take it slow as you are doing, and it will all come together faster. The shakes will disappear faster too. The key to that is to perform...

Good luck-

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Cool stuff, Tiggod! Here's hoping you have a good time on the "virtuous spiral" of positive feedback -> confidence -> smooth performance -> positive feedback... Smile
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1140 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Congrats ... what's your next routine?

Wulfie
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
315 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Hi guys and thanks for the supportive posts Smile

Troppobob I hope it will get a lot better, I am used to presenting things to strangers but not used to trying to hide things and fool them lol... a bit more practice at performing and I will be fine I am sure!

James and Mandarin, it is because of advice from you two and others here that I realised taking it slowly and learning the basics is the way to go. Before I came here I was looking at buying some gaffed tricks and going straight to that as an act. Reading these threads made me realise that taking the time to learn sleights etc will be much more rewarding and will open up a much larger repertoire (though I still will use some gaffs of course). Also from the performance perspective this place is invaluable. I have a much better understanding of what it takes to pull of an effect.

Futurist I hope that it is all good feedback from now on! Smile But I'm just glad it went well this one time... I did actually have to start the Card and A Number routine again after the first shuffle due to shaking clumsiness... But they never figured out why I stopped and said, "Okay now you have to choose a different card" lol.. One of the girls was watching my hands like a hawk.. I said "look at me when I'm talking to you" (jokingly). She said "NO! I am going to watch your hands" but she still agreed afterwards that I thoroughly shuffled the cards.

Wulfie Smith, Citizen Smith was one of my favourite shows when I was young. (Freedom for Tooting!)
I have a routine lined up that I am working on but didn't feel confident with it all yesterday so only went with the two tricks.

I have

Kings into Jokers packet trick
Topsy Turvy Cards
Poker Players Picnic
Card and A Number
Invisible Deck or Brainwave (I have both)

My basic plan is to stick with these for now until I have them completely sorted. Perform them for a while then move onto chapter two of the RRTCM.

Hey thanks again guys. I had to tell someone who understood and you guys were it!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I, too, am trying to get over my performance anxiety. Today, for example, I did the Albo card trick for a waitress at the restaurant where I ate. She was totally floored. I was shaking like a leaf! I am trying to follow the prescription given me by a friend to perform at least one magic effect in front of a stranger once a day. It is hard, but well worth the effort.

I have talked to a few professionals in the business and they, too, get the jitters once in a while before a performance. So I feel there is hope for us mere mortals as well.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17126 Posts

Profile of joseph
I showed my friend Color Monte right after a Tim Hortons large coffee, and my hands were shaking badly....Watch the caffeine.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Quote:
On 2009-11-14 07:06, JamesTong wrote:
You can shake one hand more than the other and then tell that hand to behave but when this hand cools down then the other shake badly and so on ... a good way to inject humor to cover the shaking.

That's an interesting little tip James! Hadn't heard that one before. I also like the one "It was cold while I was practicing this"
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It is easier to get away with humor, isn't it?
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
Good on you tiggod, you are not doing my mistake of buying lots of props, but do you only do cards effects? as soon as you get involved more in magic, u'll find yourself juggling sponge balls, coins, cups and balls and ropes and kids effects...
Danny Vogler
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Danny Vogler
Ah, the shakes. I've been doing magic for four years and my I'm still working very hard on it.

When I first started, I was concentrating on moves too much. Patter was glitchy from concentrating on manipulation. I knew the patter wasn't making sense, or just didn't have any flow during the routine, so I lost confidence and the hands started to shake.

What's helped me the most is getting my mind away from the cards by focusing on a sensical story, or just not over thinking. There's also the rush from audience reaction which doesn't help the nerves. It's all in the mind, so I convince myself the trick was simple and the audience is crazy and over reacting. Hey, whatever works... Smile
Bean
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Bean
Just wanted to say, "Yay, Tiggod!" from a fellow beginner. It sounds like your performance went off well. And thanks, too, to James--I'm going to be using that idea.
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
All we can hope for is to learn, grow and enjoy each performance and the ride along the way.
Northern California
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
315 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2009-11-30 17:52, coolini wrote:
Good on you tiggod, you are not doing my mistake of buying lots of props, but do you only do cards effects? as soon as you get involved more in magic, u'll find yourself juggling sponge balls, coins, cups and balls and ropes and kids effects...

Hi Coolini,

at the moment I am just concentrating on card effects but I have books and dvds on much more. I just really want to get to grips with one thing then move on. I can't actually see myself just being a card magician as the stage stuff is what interests me most. But as I have learnt from hanging around the Café it's not so much what you know how to do technically, it's more about how you perform it. So I am just wanting to learn how to entertain with any sort of magic.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
315 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 13:02, MrJangles wrote:
Ah, the shakes. I've been doing magic for four years and my I'm still working very hard on it.

When I first started, I was concentrating on moves too much. Patter was glitchy from concentrating on manipulation. I knew the patter wasn't making sense, or just didn't have any flow during the routine, so I lost confidence and the hands started to shake.

What's helped me the most is getting my mind away from the cards by focusing on a sensical story, or just not over thinking. There's also the rush from audience reaction which doesn't help the nerves. It's all in the mind, so I convince myself the trick was simple and the audience is crazy and over reacting. Hey, whatever works... Smile

Yeah that's a hard one ay? I wrote out a script, I practised it, and I knew it off by heart. When the performance came I managed to get about a third of it out.... but it was still fun Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Shaking Hands ! LOL (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL