The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Ion Portable PA System for iPod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Anyone using this in for their shows? It looks like it would work at many venues. It can be found here to read more about it: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Product.......15809612

Posted: Nov 15, 2009 1:30pm
No one as any comments as to the 150 foot range of a speakers system? Will the IPod program of Jim Kleefeld's Sound Commander work with the Ipod setting plugged into the speaker system?

It says this can be put up on a tri-pod as well. Will this impove reception by the audience?

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Am unfamiliar with this little system, but anytime you can get your speaker(s) up and off the floor a few feet their range and reception will improve.
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Amazon.com sometime sells this under $200. You can see some reviews here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I51......0HBV8FV6
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
One of the reviews on Amazon mentions what I thought might happen...the way you plug an iPod into that device, it goes into the connector on the bottom. So the speaker takes up the connector, keeping you from using it with a remote control.

So that person used RCA cables to connect his iPod to the system, so he'd have his remote control work.

In other words, think of this as a speaker on wheels. The iPod connector is worthless if you want to use a remote with it. Look at other portable speakers in the same price range if you need one.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks for the info, I almost took the dive.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've never heard it but if it were me, I'd get one of the systems that has been well-reviewed on this site. Just cuz you can plug an ipod in without a cable is no reason to get it. Don't let that influence your choice.

The Carvin StageMate is more expensive but great sound and reputation.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I was thinking of ease of use and quality. If I could use 'Sound Control' with this unit on wheels would be good to just roll it in and go.

I am not familiar with StageMate, is it on wheels and can an IPod be pluged into the unit? Is it cost less then $200.00? Can it be put on a tripod stand?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
No, yes, no, yes
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Frank, Thanks for such a detailed answer.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Something that might be similar to this Ion system, is the PylePro system:

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PWMA230

And yes, sometimes you can find these for a lower price than the MSRP on that site.

- Donald

P.S. There is a wireless system on the PylePro site that looks almost exactly like the Ion system. Click Here.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Donald for your suggestions. It helps a lot.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I just saw this system at our KIDabra Chapter Holiday Party and Chris Capehart talked about it and loves it:

ION Tailgater Sound System for the iPod $150 at Target and other stores.

Looks good for the Street Magician.
---------------
Chris bought his at Target for $150. I see it on line and at other locations cheaper.

What was nice about it is that it is battery operated works with the iPod and good for small parties.

Features:
* Single-unit sound system for full, rich sound with 20W amp
* Dock for iPod fits most docking models
* Inputs for microphone and other audio sources
* Heavy-duty construction with carry handle
* Built-in, 8-hour battery with level indicator
* High-quality microphone included

Technical Specifications:
Dimensions (W"xD"xH"/lbs): 12.5 x 9.5" x 14 / 20.2 lbs
Input Voltage: AC 100-120V/ 60Hz 220-240V/ 50Hz
Output Wattage: 20W (THD: < 1%)
Output Voltage: 8V
Frequency Response: Aux Input: 78Hz – 20kHz
iPod Input: 63Hz – 77kHz
Time required to fully charge the TAILGATER: ~ 6 hrs.
Battery life: 8 hrs. at high volume levels
--------------
I don't own it but my initial negative thoughts are:

Weight: 20.2 lbs (I am not fond of weight. Weight Comparison with My Fender Passport 150 which weighs 22 lbs and a trip to the car, added setup time too, much more money)

Watts: 20 Watts, others sites say 16 watts, (Fender 150 watts, Mackie 150 watts)

1. The question: Am I willing to Give up my $400 Fender Passort 150 for a Battery Operated 20 Watt ION System for what I do? Answer No.

2. The question: Am I willing to Give up my 7 pound small $300 Mackie SMR 150 for a Battery Operated 20 Watt $150 ION System for what I do? Answer No.

3. The question: Am I willing to Give up my 11 Pound Similar size $150 Roland CM 30 watt (AC only) for a Battery Operated 20 Watt 20 lb ION System for what I do? Answer Yes (It will still fit in my Lefler Case, no added trip).

It looks nice, sounds nice in my small 22x22 birthday party sized room. Chris Swears by it!

BTW, since I got the Mackie, I rare use any of the other systems except for Conventions, and really large rooms. The Mackie works there too, but I will use my Fender Passport 250, or 150.
Dennis Michael
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I was at a Christmas party this past weekend, and the customer had an Ion system (like described on this thread, with an iPod dock). Here is my experience with it...

The customer had asked me a month or two earlier, if they could use my PA system after my show, to make the announcements for kids names to come and greet Santa. I told them it depended upon whether I had to rush off to another show.

When I got to the show, they had the Ion system off to the side playing some background music. They told me that they intended to use it for the Santa portion, and didn't need to borrow mine. They said someone from their group had bought it at Costco.

I used my own system for my show, and was about to put my system away after the show, and they moved their Ion system over to use it. It sounded horrible. You couldn't understand the person on the mic at all, calling the children's names.

In the end, they ended up using my system. They tried to use their mic in my system, and it didn't sound great, so they also used my mic. My mic is a basic inexpensive handheld corded mic from Radio Shack (The Source, in Canada).

So, the problem could have been their mic. Or it could have been their Ion system. Or it could have been both. But it didn't impress me, and it didn't impress them.

I don't recall how the Ion system sounded for the music.

- Donald

P.S. My PA system is an older Apollo 2060 (no longer made). I plan to replace it with the Mackie SRM150 at some point soon.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I've sold a few of these systems. They sound pretty good when used with a good mic. They are loud enough for your average birthday party or library show. The big negative is they have no equalization. Not even a tone control. This is important. I didn't realize this when I ordered them from my distributor. Instead of returning them I sold them really cheap and told each customer that they didn't have a tone control. Everyone I sold them to is still using them for smaller venues and are happy with the systems. Probably because they knew what they were buying, but I won't be selling any more. As a side note they are all using IPods with remotes that plug into the top.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Quote:
On 2010-12-23 00:23, Eldon wrote:
... they are all using iPods with remotes that plug into the top.

This would be the major purpose of it and I would recommend your own Microphone.

As with any 20 watt system, for it to reach a larger audience the volume must be turned up and as the volume goes up so does the distortion.

For the record, I personally would recommend this system for an individual that does small birthday parties, has music on an iPod/iTouch and use their own wireless microphone system. It is not designed for a school auditorium.

The one displayed above may be an earlier version because the one I saw was black and looked slightly different.
http://www.ionaudio.com/tailgater
Dennis Michael
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
I LOVE IT!

Ion Block Rocker PA System:
It’s reasonably affordable, I’ve seen it sell for less than a hundred bucks new.
It has a rechargeable battery built in.
Medium weight & size, convenient handles & wheels, good sound.
http://www.ionaudio.com/blockrocker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Ion Portable PA System for iPod (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL