The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Annoying texting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Every once in a while when working on a table, there are people who would text each other while they are sitting across each other on the same table! Usually these are teens. Judging from the reactions I received, they enjoyed the magic but you can't help wondering what the hell they are texting. This really annoys me. I am sure it must have happened to you if you work enough restaurants. what's your take on this?
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Texting is the worst invention ever. I absolutely can't stand it. I text alot, but I hate doing it. I've never had anyone text during one of my stand up performances, and I don't work restaurants. But that really must be irratating.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Make a joke about it. They'll probably laugh and stop doing it, so you kill two birds with one stone if you come up with a good enough joke that doesn't make them feel too bad.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 00:19, Maloney wrote:
Texting is the worst invention ever. I absolutely can't stand it. I text alot, but I hate doing it. I've never had anyone text during one of my stand up performances, and I don't work restaurants. But that really must be irratating.

Yes, it is not only irritating but also disrupt the flow of the performance. Imagine halfway during a routine three out of five people on that table start texting with their phones.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
They're texting about YOU! It's ok to be paranoid...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
Such an irritation!

I just look over and apologize that I didn't realise they were busy and go and do another table

My even bigger hate is going up to a table and discovering someone is actually on the phone - and they look up at you like you're crashing their private call

We got rid of smoking in public places which was a huge blessing - I no longer have to go home reeking of cigarette smoke

Next step - Ban mobiles in restaurants!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 10:38, james prince wrote:
My even bigger hate is going up to a table and discovering someone is actually on the phone - and they look up at you like you're crashing their private call

I really hate to break it to you, but you ARE crashing their private call!

Well either way it is a hazard you will run into, but it is one good reason to work only by request. People who request to see you are far less likely to do things like this. I am not saying they don't but it will cut it down.

Really think about it. You have walked up to their table, and sort of just cold called the table, and you want their undivided attention? Isn't that that a little demanding?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
During October, I work a big Halloween haunt, and on the early week nights when not on stage, I do street shows for the crowds that I gather. In the same area are other diversions, much like a carnival midway.

It is common for teens to come in a chaparoned group, and common as well for part of a group to be there for the beginning of the show and the rest of their friends show up several minutes later. Bear in mind that many of these kids are jumpy, scared kids that expect a monster to get them, so in some cases their attention span would be extreme even for severe ADHD.

During one of these shows, I was at a point where focus on the trick was reaching a critcal point for everything to make sense. All of a sudden, a couple girls came busting up to the front row, and started asking out loud what was going on. Some of the kids who had been there throughout and were very interested in the show, quickly quieted the newcomers. I just paused briefly and once things were back under control started in again.

Then, before any of the show starts to make sense to the newcomers, one of these girls who was literally standing right in front of me takes out her phone and starts texting. I started banging my wand on the table and said, "Hey! This show is like driving a car. You need to pay attention. Put your phone away!"

The other kids laughed, the adults standing guard behind them laughed, she put her phone away, and the show ended as it should. Problem solved.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
That's a good story, Michael.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
"Hey! This show is like driving a car. You need to pay attention. Put your phone away!"

We could all probably use some more "anti-cell phone" lines... Thanks for sharing!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
If it is a couple of teens, I joke around and pull my cell out in the middle of my set. I pretend to start talking on the phone about something random, or I pretend to text something about the latest hot topic of the day. Usually they get the clue and put their phones away.

It is a worse habit with the 20 somethings in the bar areas. It ****es me off, so I stop everything I do and stare at their phone. Everyone looks at the culprit and demands that he/she stop texting so I can continue. I never have to say a word.

One thing I never do is approach a table if people are already talking on the phone.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
This is what pressure was invented for, get the chris lyle 2.0 version perfect for situations like this
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Bad as it is, texting during your show isn't as bad as someone actually talking on the phone.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Agree. That is even more annoying and much more irritating.
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
313 Posts

Profile of jiayi
Man, that's a great suggestion, thanks for the tip! I can't wait to see their funny faces next time it happens.

Quote:
On 2009-11-15 16:56, Barry Donovan wrote:
This is what pressure was invented for, get the chris lyle 2.0 version perfect for situations like this
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-11-15 14:29, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
"Hey! This show is like driving a car. You need to pay attention. Put your phone away!"

We could all probably use some more "anti-cell phone" lines... Thanks for sharing!

"PUT THAT CELL PHONE AWAY OR YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHERE IT'S GOING."

How's that one?

Never use it, unless you want to be fired!
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Best line I used in a show...not for the faint of heart

Ask to talk to the person on the other end of the phone. Be pleasant and say "hello" and tell them that you are doing a show, maybe ask a question about the person who owns the phone...then say

"Ok, I have a riddle for you. What has balls and hangs down?........A bat. Another riddle...What has balls and hangs up?..." half second pause and hang up the phone and hand it back to the owner.

I did this during a festival, doing a street show to a guy talking on his cell in the front row.

Never had a chance to try it table hopping (and unsure if I would in that situation), but it's good to have on hand if you need it.

Another annoyance is Blue Toothing.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Hope you don't hang up on the babbysitter telling them a kid is sick.

Take life less serious guys.

Can't imagine why people hate magicians. Remember all these things guys when you are shocked nobody wants to see magic when you introduce yourself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 10:30, Dannydoyle wrote:
Hope you don't hang up on the babbysitter telling them a kid is sick.

Take life less serious guys.

Can't imagine why people hate magicians. Remember all these things guys when you are shocked nobody wants to see magic when you introduce yourself.

Oh, Danny...

I fear we all need to switch to decaf. Smile

I doubt much of what has been said above is given as broad-based advice to the novice as to how to handle such a situation, and assume much of it is either anecdotal, or fictional stabs at humor (fantasies not to be taken seriously). Rest assured, some of us are smart enough to know the limitations our venues offer, and wise enough to act accordingly.

It's also doubtful a 13 or 14 year old is talking to the baby-sitter, and highly likely an adult in such a conversation would turn and exit the main scene in order to converse in private.

But, in the good name of doing what is right... "Inexperienced magicians facing similar situations should listen to nothing said here, as it is very difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. Use your own best judgement. Your parents should have already taught you how to do that."

I'll go take my pill now...

;)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Michael, I have seen things like this happen. I really have.

First thing he does is force himself on a table where they were on the way home from the vet having had to decide to put the dog to sleep. BUT using the idea that "they re not qualified to decide if they want to see magic" he manages to wiggle in. They don't feel like protesting too much I guess so then when the phone goes off and they are giving dad the news, ol magic boy decides some really clever phone stuff is in order.

Is this the rule? Oh god no. Happens once in a blue moon. But it does point out that magicians are far more of an intrusion than we like to think.

I guess I do take things people write as actual experiences when they are presented as such. My bad. I did not know this was the "Fantasy Table Hoppers" section LOL. Good point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Annoying texting (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL