The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Doctors Bag, (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Is a doctor's bag allowed as hand luggage on domestic and international flights? Or too large?
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I believe doctor's bag comes in different sizes. Get one that fits the plane cabin above the seats.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Most are allowed but also a "target risk" for theft!

My wife is a physician and does not use one for that reason. It is seen as a threat to personal safety too.

Be careful!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I still use one for closeup "stuff". (But I'm also old! LOL)
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Bob, out of curiosity why is it a threat to personal safety?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There are people out there searching for drugs and prescription pads. A doctor's bag signals "pay dirt" to some who will hurt you to get it.

In Malaysia, hopefully you are safer than you would be in the USA.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Bob. We are safe in Malaysia as far as drugs are concerned. It is a major and serious offense here and it also carries the death penalty.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It carries a death penalty everywhere but the problem is that it may not be the death of the user or pusher. Often it is someone in the right place at the wrong time to deal with the effects of drugs, drug users and dealers.

It is one of those areas in which the USA is too arrogant to admit it is a third world nation.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
In my country, once you get caught ... that's it for the pushers and traffickers! I prefer it that way as countless innocent lives are destroyed because of these pushers and traffickers.
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
388 Posts

Profile of iugefu
The reason I asked is because Brad Burt sells them as closeupstorage, $184 per bag.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Many people are using the doctor's bag and if you find that it suits you, why not?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A doctor's bag is a handy way to carry small props. If you look carefully at the description on Brad's web site, it tells the size of the bag. If you were planning to fly somewhere with the doctor's bag, you have three options for getting it to your destination.

1) Put it INSIDE a piece of checked luggage. Add a card on the outside of it that explains what it is and what it contains. Put this inside a very large ziplock bag. Add your cell phone number to this, so if there are any questions, they can call you before they tear your baggage up.

2) Carry it on as your personal item. A bag the size described on the web site will easily fit underneath a seat or in the overhead compartment, even on a relatively small aircraft such as an Embraer 145, which has pitiful overhead storage.

3) Send it to your destination by FedEx ground (if your departure and destination are in the US). It will get there in three days.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I agree with Bill about airlines and luggage. If it is important try to have delivered by someone more reliable.

I will also tell you that leather doctor's bags are usually under $50. SHOP! (Try the college bookstore at a med school.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24260 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Bob, I haven't found any "real" doctors bags for much less than $100 recently. The real doctor's bags don't look like the stereotypical bags that magicians seem to favor. The best one I found was from Murphy's and it looked like the one Brad is having made.

I also found a really neat one at a truck stop for $35.00. It was a little smaller, but still quite serviceable.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The one I have now is very real. (My wife is a physician.) And I got it off the sale table at the college book store for $12.00! It was originally $39 marked down to $29.

College book stores that are part of the university instead of another business or profit center have very good prices.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Doctors here don't use them anymore.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
nonvpro
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of nonvpro
I have used a Doctors Bag for 20 years or more. I have always carried my Doctors Bag on board all my flights and have never had any problems doing so. Yes, it was looked at very closely, but it has never not been allowed on the plane.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
A funny story about Home Land security at LAX is that they took my wife's bottle opener away but allowed her to keep her scalples since she was a doctor!

Imagine: death by bottle opener!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
That's a funny one, Bob.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
James,

It makes you wonder why we need comedy writers. Life is their primary competition. However, the schedule is also full of surprises.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Those Schell bags are nice. They open wide with lots of compartments so you're not always digging for stuff. A little pricey though.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2949 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
Finding a used doctors bag should be relatively easy to find amongst the older physician population. They have not been fashionable to carry for at least 20-25 years. Most of my colleagues prefer to carry their stethoscopes, BP cuffs ect in lighter bags.
Northern California
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Doctors Bag, (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL