The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic books for BOR? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm just getting into performing at a higher level of show, and I've never done BOR before. I thought of getting one of those magic books for BOR. I'm thinking that it's good advertising, it's extra income from sales, and can't you sell advertising space in them?

I know there are a couple different magic books available for BOR sales, but I'm not sure I can find more than one or two. Can anyone provide a quick comparison of different features for some of them? Or point me to the ones you use?

Ed
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Hi Ed.
We sell the magic Color books from Graphics 2000. The first half is a color book of magicians performing magic tricks and the other half teaches how to do a few simple magic tricks with stuff you can find around the house.
Sometimes we sell a lot of them, and other times just a few. I would imagine that there's someone else out there that makes them, or it might be farly easy to create and print up you own.
Bob.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I checked the Café and found some mentioned: Dean Hankey's, Jeff Munton's, Mr. Greggy's, and the Graphics 2000 book. Several links were broken, though, and some of the reviews were a bit old. I was asking afresh to see if there was anything new out there, perhaps any changes not mentioned in the old posts, or any comparative insights.

Thanks for the tip.
Ed
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Dean has a great activity book (which I do not have, but have just seen a copy of). Great look. You will have to check out what is also out there. (I have a few products that I have purchased). I am sure many will post their favourites here.

HOWEVER........

.....if you are considering BOR, Brad Ross has put out an EXCEPTIONAL BOR info package, small manual, 2 cd's, AND a great 90 minute DVD walking you though everything, set-up tips, pricing tips, with a large amount on packaging, which when you see his product, and know the testing he has done (he had the ability to do this) you will understand how you can get the results. I do have this product and would highly recommend it, BEFORE you buy or produce any product to sell. It WILL save you time and money, and steer you in the right direstion. He also shows and explains what is out there for you to sell (and what I really liked, he is not just about promoting HIS products)!!!

You can take a look at it on his makemagicmoney.com site

I know of no other package similar to this, and it will give you LOADS to think about. It is one of those "programs" that will really give you a quickstart/headstart into the world of BOR.

I will not post any more about the product here, as I do not want to get into the detail that Brad gets into.

Blair
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Ed,

Jeff Munton is my dad - I think you meant me!

I don't know if one of the broken links was mine, but here you go.
http://magicsells.com/IMBS.html

I'l be happy to answer any questions you have by PM.

Cheers,
James
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

James' BOR mindreading book is a great add-on for adult events or part of a magic kit. (It is one of the items I use)

Blair
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Thank you Blair, I'm really pleased you like it.

Best regards,
James
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 16:35, Ed_Millis wrote:
I checked the Café and found some mentioned: Dean Hankey's, James Munton's, Mr. Greggy's, and the Graphics 2000 book.

Two more instant author magic books or magic activity books include Tim Sonefelt's book and CJ Johnson's book.

Let me know if you need current links to any of them. It's likely I can find a link quickly. Just ask on this thread.

- Donald

P.S. I created my own magic activity book, which has had various incarnations over the years. The most recent version drew from several different sources (all were legitimate to use), as well as some of my own unique content.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Brad in his package also discusses various books, in addition to other BOR products.

B
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Ok I was not going ot post this but this is magicians helping magicians I would like to tell you the best stuff to sell in BOR is not magic!

sure have some magic but don't rely on it.

think outside the box way outside
sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 14:34, Sam Sandler wrote:
Ok I was not going ot post this but this is magicians helping magicians I would like to tell you the best stuff to sell in BOR is not magic!

sure have some magic but don't rely on it.

think outside the box way outside
sam

Shamwows? What do you sell?
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Magic light items are always fun. Wands, satelites, t-shirts, etc. Take a look at what Disney sells, or the circus next time it's in town. There's lot's of "stuff"!

B
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 11:35, James Munton wrote:
Thank you Blair, I'm really pleased you like it.

Best regards,
James

I'll have to check it out.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Right check the circus and other shows that come th rough town.

I sell all sorts of light ups liek light up magic wands to lazer guns to yo yos
and of course my own magic set both full set and mini plus tee shirts.

but its the light up stuff that sells liek hot cakes. I cant keep enough in stock when I do these shows!

sure I want ot promote magic but I also want the money if were honest!!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

The light up stuff is fun, if you do it the way the circus does you tell your audience that it is one side against the other. And after intermission you will have the contest. This works great with wands, and light sabers.

I think for me it is a matter of mark-up. The dollar store sells some of these products now. So there is nothing special, and they are not taking home a "piece" of you. Your mark-up is also curtailed somewhat by this. I have used some of these products and find the mark-up is limited. You can, of course, make up in volume. But I am not sure I want to have that large an initial outlay. You may be able to sell the items at 3-4 times cost, but a self produced item can do 7-10 times your outlay cost (if you do not include your time to put it together).

As an example, James' book above, because of its' nature, a mind reading trick for adults with a "special" book, can command a higher price. Perhaps as much as 10 - 15 times it's cost. In a magic store an effect of this nature would sell anywhere from $10.00 to $20.00, so I don't feel I am "taking" advantage of anyone.

B
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I buy some generic lite up stuff and sell it for 3 times what I pay for it.

Ihave other stuff that is custom made and yes it sells for more but it also cost me more.

so I have no problem with the generic stuff and then having my sales people add my logo sticker to each one prior to selling. actaully they do this weeks before the shows so that we have them stocked up with my name on them.

sam
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Kenton Knepper has some books for BOR reprint that are more along a self help and motivational line. If you don't want to sell an actual book of tricks. FYI
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Quote:
so I have no problem with the generic stuff and then having my sales people add my logo sticker to each one prior to selling.

I'm surprised after all that trouble you are still making much of a profit! People often forget to factor in their time when calculating the profit.

Best,
James
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

James, I can see where buying the generic would work. If I was doing more arenas then buying by the caseload (truckload???), or even produced with your logo on it, would be the way to go.

B
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so I have no problem with the generic stuff and then having my sales people add my logo sticker to each one prior to selling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm surprised after all that trouble you are still making much of a profit! People often forget to factor in their time when calculating the profit.

I pay them per show so yes I have factored in the time and my profit margin is great.
I plan on getting some new custom made light ups so that there is no time involved but again I am not losing anything here with the generics. I sell so many that it is more than worth it.

not long ago there were 500 people in attendance at a school show and we sold about 145 light ups at $5 each - do the math!

my total cost for each one is less then $2.00

sure there are some better ways to go and as always I am working hard to improve each time out.

sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic books for BOR? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL