The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Andrew Mayne In Half (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
baal
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of baal
Hello, I just have check news at the hocus-pocus website, and there is a new amazing illusion from Andrew Mayne- In Half
demo looks amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0njpDi18RI
anybody already have it??? any reviews??
Simon
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Uh...

Perhaps its just me but it seems quite transparent in method...

I would not be putting this in my show personally.

J
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Great for sideshow or horror/haunted house walk-thru

Method is fairly apparent, but visually looks great.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Imagine combining one of Andrew's subtleties to the modern art...
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Simon, don't you just love reviews from people who don't have the item?

I don't have it but like the fact that it does not look like a magic prop.
It is something that would fit my show.

Awaiting a real review.

Kent
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I don't see a review here?????? Only first impressions just like yours.

Awaiting a real reply Smile
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Quote:
On 2009-11-16 12:56, baal wrote:
Hello, I just have check news at the hocus-pocus website, and there is a new amazing illusion from Andrew Mayne- In Half
demo looks amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0njpDi18RI
anybody already have it??? any reviews??
Simon

He requested a review... that's all I'm saying.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
ALL I CAN SAY IS WOW

Think of it in a playlet type scene.

What a great idea. Bear in mind, Harbin's first Zig Zag was made from cardboard as a prototype mock-up.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Baal, I will give you a review soon. Andrew Mayne is a really great guy though! I am putting on a holiday party for the base I'm currently stationed at here in Iraq. There's going to be close to 1000 other soldiers attending so we tried to see how much it would cost to fly some of my illusions out here. The Origami alone was quoted at 2 grand!!! Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyhow, I had settled on just doing my comedy parlor act. Then I decided I'd order in Andrew Mayne's Voodoo box and see if I could work it into the show. For only 14 bucks, why not?? When I ordered it I told him what I was doing with it and he said that he was sending me a copy of his "IN HALF" routine along with it! Like I said...WHAT A GREAT GUY!! After I get it set up I will let you know what I think and I'll give you an honest review. I'm pretty excited about it though.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
The cutshots throughout the demo don't give me a lot of confidence in this, or its ability to be done fluently live. Why not just post one shot of the full performance?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Here's a link to a more continuous presentation that I found rather amusing!
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
With proper outfit to look like a carny that video would be perfect. that was a sweet presentation though.

Best,
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think I figured it out and I like it even more.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 02:29, Pete Biro wrote:
I think I figured it out and I like it even more.

It is pretty good.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
sivartn
View Profile
New user
Nebraska
58 Posts

Profile of sivartn
I got the dvd in the mail yesterday, the method is clever, and easy. At the beginning of the dvd they show a straight through performance, it is very smooth and looks like it will play well in a real act. I have used Andrew Mayne's bisection and gut buster so I expected nothing but the best with this, and I got that. The DVD is very good about teaching every detail about building it and performing it, and even goes into several ways it could go wrong and ways to avoid those. But really the only way it could go wrong would just be the performer having no showmanship. This isn't much of a review, but like I said I just got it yesterday and will be trying to build it sometime next week.
Magic Roman
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Magic Roman
This effect is fun, and rather clever. I like to use it in a kids setting, with a kid style fort look. You know the kinds of forts you used to build out of boxes when you were a kid. Well I incorporate that into the presentation. It gives an excuse for having cardboard boxes, and looks cool.
Magically,
Roman
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Good ideas.Good for the young to be local neighborhood magician. Victory carton?
why not.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I can give a sleight reveiew.

We were asked to perform oddities at a famous concert hall during halloween last year. Before the costume contest, we performed this illusion up on the stage. It went over very well. I think there is one catch to keep in mind. I would NEVER anounce what you are about to do. I think its much better to just pull the boxes on stage and do the illusion without notifying the audience of what they are about to see. This catches them off guard and secures the secret if done correctly.

It played very well, and we had gasps when the upper body was lifted upwards. Make it happen smooth and fast and the audience wont be able to catch up fast enough to figure it out. Give them to much time and it becomes obvious in my opinion.

I give this a 8 out of 10 when it comes to simple, cheap, and effective illusions! Mayne is a genius when it comes to shock magic. This is really a neat idea and worth every penny if done right!
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
I ordered this a while back. I like it a lot, but am a big guy, and don't think it would be nearly as deceptive with someone my size.

So if you're small to medium, I'd say this would look great.
Mike
TrickyEric
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of TrickyEric
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 12:27, magicelam wrote:
I ordered this a while back. I like it a lot, but am a big guy, and don't think it would be nearly as deceptive with someone my size.

So if you're small to medium, I'd say this would look great.

Agreed, Mayne even apologizes for this in the video. He says it may be better to use an assistant for some magicians.
This is a really cool and well thought out effect as far as I'm concerned though. Personally, the assistant idea isn't a bad one, and I may use one myself if I perform this. I think the "half-man" illusion is clever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Andrew Mayne In Half (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL