The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » David Blaine Starters? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ShizNick
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of ShizNick
Did anyone here get influenced by David Blaine to do Magic?
I know I sure did. Watching him do all those neat tricks on the streets and seeing how people reacted to them, got me straight to my nearest Magic Shop, and bought all the things I needed to suddenly become a Magician.
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Well yes indeed. A time after I had seen the first show I found a site which explained the Balducci levitation David does.
I learned it and tried it out on friends, it went bad the first times but after about 2 weeks I mastered the angles...that was magic.

I also wanted to try out cards, so I of course bought a packet of cheap (bad) cards, and found a book I had before about impromptu magic (Jay Marshall).
Though I really couldn't get going with cards, even if I found Card trick Central, so I decided to go to a Magician in my neighborhood (with 10 years of magic, I told him that I was interested and he told me about a good book which could be found on the library (The Magic Book, Lorayne).

The rest is a long history which still isn't over.
Jonatan Bank
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
David Blaine was the man who was responsible for re-igniting my interest in magic once again, after a very long absence. He demonstrated how powerful magic can be when performed with the right level of showmanship & presentation. I really have him to thank for bringing me back to magic once again.

Even though nowadays I am more inclined towards the works of Hugard, Erdnase, Marlo, Ortiz, Le Paul, Daryl, etc. I believe that I would never have gotten to know these wonderful magicians had I not first been re-introduced to magic by David Blaine.
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Socrates
David Blaine has been responsible for getting many, many people interested in magic.

We must thank him for that.

Socrates
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Quote:
Got me straight to my nearest Magic Shop and bought all the things I need to suddenly become a Magician.

You should be careful, you can't suddenly become a magician, you can only suddenly become someone who does tricks.

Be sure to practice and learn about the theory rather than just buying things.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2949 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
In doing his thing, David has indeed made many peoples' interest in magic spark again, or for the first time ...

In reading MacGyver's comment, I'll add that it's important to want more than just "secrets" when getting into magic.

To become a truly good magician (and if you read Blaine's book you'll see what I mean) there should be plenty of all around dedication to the art.

An "instant" magician is in fact a guy just doing "tricks", and not a performer ... amazing!

:firedevil:
cyc
View Profile
New user
Montreal
57 Posts

Profile of cyc
Hi,

I was also "brought into magic" by David Blaine. I knew that I had to learn magic after I saw his special. I then searched the net and found card central and luckily, a message board (that no longer exists). That message board was happymagic; there were really nice people there, and got me started in magic by suggesting books and videos.
submagi
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of submagi
He brought me into magic. But now that I look at him and his camera trickery, etc and I really dislike him..
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I don't credit Blaine for getting me back into magic after a twenty year hiatus. It was actually my six year old daughter. I pulled a quarter out of her ear, and her reaction was all I needed to dust of some of my old books, purchase some new DVD's and stumble on this site during my web searches.

I will admit to borrowing copies of his specials from a friend to see what all the fuss was about.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2949 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I highly respect David Blaine and I don't see anthying wrong with what he's done. I know for a fact that during editing, at times, it was more important to preserve the "mystery" of a particular effect making it more difficult for those searching for "secrets" to figure out what he was actually doing. There were no "bad or sneaky" intentions in what was done. It was done to protect the integrity of our art.

Smile
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
I concur with Alexandre. My opinion is that David Blaine has contributed significantly to magic by reminding many of us once again how powerful magic can be.

Even though I am no longer into the particular brand of "street magic" which Blaine performs, I credit him for getting me hooked onto magic in the first place.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
The first time I saw David Blaine perform Magic, I was totally blown away. That's what got me interested in Magic. Smile
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
I have to admit...I have always enjoyed magic, but only ever seemed to catch stage magic specials on TV. While I enjoy that type of magic, it didn't create the spark I needed to pursue magic. After seeing DB on TV, I did some research and realized that it's close up magic I love. I've been into close up magic for about 8 months now and can pretty much thank Blaine for it!!!
magicpro
View Profile
New user
montreal
51 Posts

Profile of magicpro
Yeah, David Blaine got a lot of people started, but just remenber to keep the secrets to yourself and never show a trick twice. And remember, don't think with a lot of hard work you'll be making 4 million a year like Blaine. He had hook ups, so don't be waiting for that day.
But happy tricking
Thank you and God bless
Riceboi
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of Riceboi
David is ok, but Jeff McBride got me started!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
David Blaine got where he was by following an idea. He did things we have all done, but he did it differently than others, and that earned him his first special. He has built on his personna of the mysterious man of magic. To copy him may be flattering but to really emulate him you have to come up with something different.

Magic is much like an inverted funnel. At the start it is small and narrow ... as you progress it gets bigger and bigger. A few tricks do not a magician make. Learn the rich and full history, read books on magic history. Books by magicians of the long past. There is a world out there to discover - welcome to it.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Jeroen van Gorp
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
4 Posts

Profile of Jeroen van Gorp
Smile I applaud David Blaine. He also got me triggerd to magic a few months ago. I know that he does some old tricks but in a different setting. That´s what makes it so special.
I´m really hooked on magic now and try to learn as much as I can. Not just tricks but also the psychology of it. And of course, how to attract and maintain an audience.
I´m still learning and will try out my performance on the street. I think that is a great way to see what your performance does to people. Don´t you agree? David Blaine, thanks. Smile
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
Very well said, Frankft!
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
& Special Guest
419 Posts

Profile of CardFan
David inspired me because of his talent in doing great impact with simple and well know classicals. And whatever may be said, the public do not care if you are able to do Triple Tenkai; they just want to be astonished.
That's what he is doing.
The simplest of schoolchildren now knows truths for which Archimedes would have given his life...
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
Kudos to Blaine ... this Christmas I first saw his television special, and ever scince then, I have been wasting my money on magic. Now I do magic at my aunt's resturaunt ... thanks to him and a handful of others. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » David Blaine Starters? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.92 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL