The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Gaining Members (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skotster
View Profile
Regular user
Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania
109 Posts

Profile of Skotster
I wanted to throw this out here for some more ideas. Our local ring #158 has been on a decline in membership. Our monthly meetings have been averaging 5 people attending. All of us agree that we need to be more active on recruiting new members to the club.

Past attempts to advertise have generated interest, but not any memberships or even visitors to the meeting. I was looking to see if anyone here had ideas on how to grow our club?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Have you tried free lectures to attract interested non-members?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Creating a viable youth program can attract area teens and youngsters. It can also attract parents with a secret desire to explore magic. We have several MYI parents who have taken an active interest in our Ring. Many Rings are simply dieing out from old age. Bringing in the youth and teaching them I.B.M. skills and pride can give any Ring a major boost. That's my department - so let me know if I can help.

Visibility is a key concern. You have to be seen. As Bob suggested, free lectures supported with well-timed and well-written press releases can draw interested parties. Posting club meetings in the "Around Town" and "Meeting" sections of your local newspaper and cable TV operator, Parents' newspapers, Entertainment newspapers and so on can get the word out.

Arranging appearances at local benefits, fairs and festivals - without undercutting your local working pros - can bring recognition and members. For example, we co-host an annual benefit showcase for Habitat with Humanity with all the publicity we can muster. Our youth group is planning Toys for Tots and Coats for Kids benefit showcases.

Keeping your Ring information current with the national office also helps. Too often, an I.B.M. member or prospect will look for a club, but the national office has wrong or outdated contact information for Ring officers.

Look at the Ice Cream Social idea in Jim Snack's Success in Magic program. You could easily work this into a magical open house with a local ice cream business. Get them in the door and sell them on magic as a hobby.

Bottom Line: You gotta let people know you're there! Once they find you, you have to maintain a program that is fair, impartial, fun and supportive to pull them back.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Dr. Reneau
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dr. Reneau
Ring 252 has two public shows each year, spring and fall, and these attract interest. We also have a web site which gets updated monthly, and this also has helped attract potential members. We have also discovered, the hard way, the need to keep business meetings short or to schedule them earlier than the announced meeting time. Business meetings can be a killer.
We have attracted some young people and getting kids interested and reinforcing the interest are essential to a club's survival.
Good luck.
Eric Jamborsky

Dr. Reneau,
Headmaster,
Hogwash School of Really Weird Stuff
Robert The Magical Radway
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Robert The Magical Radway
Advertise!!!!

Our local ring had very low membership until people started getting the word out. Rings are great things, and a lot of people would be interested in joining if they only knew about them. If there is a local magic shop, see if you can advertise there.

Just get the word out. That is the best thing to do to increase membership.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I also Suggest that You establish a well connected web site so That when some one searches for magic in your area they find your site.
Believe you then that I do strange things
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Gaining Members (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL