The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » To the Stage guys here, what is your favourite onstage Induction for a large group? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
To the Stage guys here, what is your favourite onstage Induction for a large group?

And...

Do you do different inductions for different groups?

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The inductions are mainly variants of one induction. However the presentation may vary.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
My induction is done with the set piece on the audience. If I simply invite people up then I do it on the group on stage.

What follows is as much a flourish as anything else because my work is mostly done. It used to be a drop back which is great, effective and visual, but I have given that up for my own health and safety. I now tend to simply walk along using a variety of handshakes and hand fixation.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I was mentored by a hypnotist called Bently Evans. His induction was to get everyone look at their own nose for fixation. Then he would just shout sleep and off they would go!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ant, if your set-piece is your induction...

What you are saying is that the handshakes and hand fixations are just re-inductions?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Yes. The (handshake) induction is a reinduction. They obviously help to clean up anyone who is one the cusp. But if that is the case they may not be on my stage by now.

They are already hypnotised. I wholeheartedly credit Jon Chase with illuminating me to this fact.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I have seen handshake inductions look very visual. I saw Powers doing this after fixation on a sptlight with loud music. He started shaking their hand and pretty soon their whole body was shaking like rubber before fell into a heap. It looked great. He only did that with one though. It can look spectacular.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have one induction and use it every night.

Most hypnotists lose sight of the fact that it is a show. It should be a theatrical exprience. The induction is part of that "experience". Many new hypnotists want to get right to the "funny" instead of actually doing a show. Sort of like telling a joke, just by getting right to the punch line. It leads to not such a good joke. This is because they lack poper theatrical grounding for what it is thy are doing. Never forget you are doing a SHOW.

The idea that it is "long and boring" comes from a lack of abilit to make it interesting. So much time is spent with worry about the subjects (and there should be) that I have seen guys who forget the audience exists! I have seen guy who stand in front of the spectators so the audience can not see what is happening. People are craning the neck to see what is happening.

Worse yet they think the show is all about THEM!

ALl of those problems would go away if people spent a bit more time trying to study the "show" and worried less about the "hypnosis" part of it. Much of the same problem hapens in magic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2009-11-18 10:40, Dannydoyle wrote:
Most hypnotists lose sight of the fact that it is a show. It should be a theatrical exprience. The induction is part of that "experience". Many new hypnotists want to get right to the "funny" instead of actually doing a show. Sort of like telling a joke, just by getting right to the punch line. It leads to not such a good joke. This is because they lack poper theatrical grounding for what it is thy are doing. Never forget you are doing a SHOW.

I don't think "most" stage hypnotists lose sight of this. I would contend that most professionals with staying power are well aware of this. On the other hand, most IROBs (I Read One Book and now I am a hypnotist!) seem to act this way...as well as some of the "experts" who post here.

Quote:
The idea that it is "long and boring" comes from a lack of abilit to make it interesting. So much time is spent with worry about the subjects (and there should be) that I have seen guys who forget the audience exists! I have seen guy who stand in front of the spectators so the audience can not see what is happening. People are craning the neck to see what is happening.

Long CAN be interesting...once. Instant can be interesting several times. The big thing is to make it entertaining. However, I think that the main reason some performers forget the audience exists is out of fear that the participants aren't hypnotized or aren't "deep enough." It's lack of training and experience. Sometimes, when people repeat their poor training enough, bad actions become habits. They may lose the fear but keep the actions associated with the fear, including focusing so much on the participants that the audience is forgotten...and left feeling bored.

Quote:
Worse yet they think the show is all about THEM!

ALl of those problems would go away if people spent a bit more time trying to study the "show" and worried less about the "hypnosis" part of it. Much of the same problem hapens in magic.

I agree. The worst shows I've seen have the hypnotist standing center stage during the skits and constantly repeating suggestions (fearful that the participants won't move) rather than moving aside and letting the participants star.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I generally go for a five minute induction, with a bit of progressive relaxation, then a gentle nudege of the head at the crucial moment to tip them in. I don't like the violent inductions.

I have no problems with instant inductions, except that seeing fifteen instant inductions in a row would bore me. In an ideal world I would like to use two or three instant inductions, then a five minute induction on the rest.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Tony, it sounds like you have a great induction method. I completely agree that fifteen instants would be boring. In fact, I've seen some performers do that and it completely loses all impact.

A lot of people know prog relax methods, or at least the concept behind them, and think that it takes a long time to use the technique for induction. Doing one that's just 5 minutes long shows your mastery, doesn't lose the audience's attention, and can be very effective. If you do most of your participants that way, leaving a couple of people out, then do instants on them (they're half under from being on stage and seeing what you're doing anyway so it's almost more of a re-induction) may be more effective than doing the instants first. It gets the attention of the audience, shows "how powerful" you really are, and in my experience has a real impact on the audience.

MP, I agree with you 100% that if all you do is instants it can actually disappoint the audience because they expect something longer, what you're calling the "mystical" process. More, if a participant is expecting that process, he or she may not go as deeply into hypnosis as would be desired for the show.

"Hawley," I have no doubt that in your experience, with instants, "people drift out of this state very quickly." That's your expectation and that's what you get. I know people who do instants with deepeners and have no problem with participants achieving a deep state. They don't "drift out" at all. Since that's what you expect, however, that's what you get.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You know this is really a good point and I don't want to lose it. Craig says "that is what you expect so that is what you get". Man, dead on.

I used to fall into this trap, expecting a good or bad show or something to happen and it becomes a self fufilling prophecy. I realised I had the power to affect it. You are right. It is really a form of self hypnosis for the hypnotist LOL.

Good point sir.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 19:05, Dannydoyle wrote:
You know this is really a good point and I don't want to lose it. Craig says "that is what you expect so that is what you get". Man, dead on.

I used to fall into this trap, expecting a good or bad show or something to happen and it becomes a self fufilling prophecy. I realised I had the power to affect it. You are right. It is really a form of self hypnosis for the hypnotist LOL.

Good point sir.

Are we starting to agree on things? Whats up?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well it is easier to get at now that the problem has been taken care of.

I tell you though it took me a while to learn this lesson.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
I used to fall into this trap, expecting a good or bad show or something to happen and it becomes a self fufilling prophecy. I realised I had the power to affect it.

I used to fall into the same trap. Then I arrived at a venue and the sound system was banjaxed, so I had no music. Half my crowd had not turned up. It could have been a disaster. But I just thought to myself that I was so good it didn't matter what conditions I was faced with.

That change of attitude made all the difference. Now I refuse to entertain any negative thoughts. My self-belief infects my audience.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It does. I used to fall into it very badly. It is shameful but I did LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 05:15, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
I used to fall into this trap, expecting a good or bad show or something to happen and it becomes a self fufilling prophecy. I realised I had the power to affect it.

I used to fall into the same trap. Then I arrived at a venue and the sound system was banjaxed, so I had no music. Half my crowd had not turned up. It could have been a disaster. But I just thought to myself that I was so good it didn't matter what conditions I was faced with.

That change of attitude made all the difference. Now I refuse to entertain any negative thoughts. My self-belief infects my audience.

it seems a strange belief for you to have Tony? Are you saying your thoughts have direct influence over reality? To the point where they can affect sound systems and attendance of audience?

Hmmmm.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No what he is saying is that with a positive mental attitude you can give them the best possible show for the conditions you find yourself in. He is not saying that the sound system or attendence is affected, he is saying that the way HE does HIS part of the show can be affected.

He is saying (as am I) that if you project a sort of negative feel about the show, that translates to the audience.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks, Danny. You took the words out of my mouth.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
The hardest shows I have ever done were auditions. 3 people staring at you... and go. They have been sitting there all day and are not in the mood to laugh or even pay attention. Till you make them.

Me and my oldest friend call it pushing the "piano back." Getting it off stage so we had the whole stage for ourselves mentality. We also say "take no prisoners." Instead of a "oh this sucks, we're going to suck" outlook.

I don't know if your positive mentality helps the audience but it does help you and the show which then helps the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » To the Stage guys here, what is your favourite onstage Induction for a large group? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL