The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My first time escaping from a straitjacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Last month was my first time escaping from a straitjacket. I was exhausted. It is harder than I expected.
willhunter
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
140 Posts

Profile of willhunter
Keep practicing! It should get easier with time. Also, find someone more experience with the SJ to watch you and give pointers. I have come to escapes later in my magical career and find it to be the place I can really challenge myself. In my opinion with Escapes practice and experience counts this is no Hindu Shuffle.
aka Billy Boston
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank for the phone call, Will. Your advice is very helpful.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Mike,

HMM... I find the hardest thing with the straitjacket is making it look hard to escape....
It might be easier for us thin guys.... Smile

Check out my straitjacket video on my site....

Which jacket are you using?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
At times it makes me wish I was not muscular like I am. Something kept telling me not to weightlift as much. I guess it is too late now.

I was using my friend's straitjacket. I forgot the brand name he mentioned to me.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I agree with Curtis...The beauty of the SJ is the struggle or the perceived struggle before the escape.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Bill,
Have been seeing your post lately... I think we are stalking each other... Smile
Yes I agree the struggle is the beauty of the escape.... Some peeps make the SJ completely comical.... I don't agree with this... I think comical in the beginning, then the struggle and maybe some comedy towards the end.... Smile Just my thought....

Check out these three links regarding the straitjacket....

Tony Curtis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiLEmDzZSHI

Tony Curtis
http://web.me.com/magicofcurtis/Los_Ange......tis.html

US Military
http://web.me.com/magicofcurtis/Los_Ange......nge.html
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of Yannou
I found that just getting out of a straightjacket isn't exhausting at all. It doesn't take long and is not that hard if you know what you're doing (I learned it from the Jay Leslie DVD!). However, when doing it in front of an audience, you have to struggle! You have to trash around, get stuck, make the veins on your neck explode from the effort etc. And I too found that that part is exhausting, and necessary.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 00:33, magicofCurtis wrote:
Bill,
Have been seeing your post lately... I think we are stalking each other... Smile
Yes I agree the struggle is the beauty of the escape.... Some peeps make the SJ completely comical.... I don't agree with this... I think comical in the beginning, then the struggle and maybe some comedy towards the end.... Smile Just my thought....

Tony Curtis

My routine is loaded with comedy, but at the same time, the struggle is percieved as real. The sweat helps lol. I take the audience step-by-step through the process of getting out, making comical comments at those times and then the struggle happens at each point. By slowing it down with the "break" between each stage, I find it really plays up how hard it is.

Stalk ya later Smile hehe
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
It is easier for you thin guys.

Which makes it more impressive when us not-so-thin guys do it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
If I practice it enough I bet it will become easier.
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-11-19 20:51, Dynamike wrote:
If I practice it enough I bet it will become easier.

No doubt about it.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I remember my first time performing the straight jacket. Escaping in practice and doing it in front of an audience are two different things. It seems that some spectators get a little aggressive in tying you up. They forget it's just a show. Each performance brings new lessons for you to learn. But, that's the fun in doing it.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
IF you are exhausted at the conclusion of your escape then chances are good that your audience had a great performance. It needs to look convincingly difficult. When that happens every eye will be on you through out the escape.

Onward and upward!

Clyde
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2009-11-25 04:46, mtpascoe wrote:
They forget it's just a show. Each performance brings new lessons for you to learn. But, that's the fun in doing it.

I encourage my spectators to be rough. Makes the shows interesting and different every time for me (I include 50ft of rope with my escape)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » My first time escaping from a straitjacket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL