The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Resources for Learning the Pressure Fan??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AsL
View Profile
Special user
628 Posts

Profile of AsL
Can anybody recommend a good source for learning the Pressure Fan? Preferably a book or DVD that really focuses on this flourish instead of a source such as Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights or something of that nature that kind of just touches on everything very briefly...

Where I'm at with the "flourish"- I've been studying and practicing magic for about ten years and I've never been able to utilize the pressure fan as cleanly as I'd like. In my hands, the fan looks decent but it always seems to have some rough edges that I can't seem to properly clean up. I'm hoping that there's a resource that I've overlooked that may help me out with the fan. I don't mind starting from scratch if that's what is needed...

Any help and recommendations would be appreciated.

All the Best,
magicianguy4life
Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
Hey magicianguytilldeath,

Gerald P. Cestkowski has a bohemoth of a book called the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. It will not only teach you a number of variations on the pressure fan, but also how to close them, twirl them, twirl close them and probably how to eat mashed potatoes with them (though I'm sure you could independantly come up with your own method). It is a little expensive $80 or so if I remember correctly. In my opinion it is one of, if not the, most comprehensive work on classic, modern, and otherwise completely unique flourishes that a card worker's money can buy. The descriptions are thorough and you might find something more practical and manageable to replace the pressure fan if it's still giving you trouble. But there will surely be a number of people on the Café that can direct you to a less expensive source or better description of the flourish than you'll find in Jerry's book. Good luck with this beautiful display
Twitter:@Zachary_Heath
Instagram: @zachheathmagic
AsL
View Profile
Special user
628 Posts

Profile of AsL
Magicianguytilldeath<--- I LIKE IT! LOL

Thanks for the info Zachary. I'll definitely look into that book. I'm not much of a flourisher but that book seems to offer much that may be of interest to myself. I remember hearing a about Gerald teaching the pressure fan awhile back but I couldn't remember the last name for the life of me (and for good reason). Once again, thanks for all the info.

All the Best,
magicianguyTILLdeath ; - ) aka magicianguy4life
AsL
View Profile
Special user
628 Posts

Profile of AsL
Anybody have any other good resources for learning the pressure fan?
hitmouse
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of hitmouse
Hugard & Braue's Expert Card Technique has a section on this, I think, as does Walter Gibson's Complete Illustrated Guide to Card Magic.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1466 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I think anybody who is serious about learning fanning especially the pressure fan, should check out Jeff McBride's "art of card manipulation" series. Very detailed explanations supplemented with slow motion super practice sessions. THE best source in my opinion.
Mathias Kersting
View Profile
New user
Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Mathias Kersting
Jerry (Gerald) also teaches the Pressure-fan (along with other fans)in the Fanning-clinic of XB vol 1. http://www.xtremehandz.com/catalog/item/1177533/2120683.htm

Here's Jerry's website (where you can buy the book): http://www.flourishman.com/

And a list of what's contained in the book:
http://magicref.tripod.com/books/cestkowskiflourishes.htm

Jerry doing the pressure-fan (00:30): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD0Jpx6N4PY
Tom Gagnon
View Profile
V.I.P.
256 Posts

Profile of Tom Gagnon
I would try to purchase a copy of "Exibition Card Fans" by Goodlette Dodson. This little booklet, which was published in 1935, can be purchased from most used book dealers for a small fee.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1617 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I'm with Mr. Gagnon on the Dodson booklet. It teaches what the author called an Exhibition fan. The technique is slightly different from how most magicians make a fan. His technique uses far less pressure.

I've been using the Goodlette Dodson method for 37 years. You get perfectly rounded fans. There's also a bunch of neat fanning ideas (reverses, quadrapole decks and the like)

That little booklet is the best two bucks I ever spent.

PS. Gagnon knows more about spreading a deck of cards than anybody I've ever met. There's guys like me who think they know some stuff. Then there's guys like Tom Gagnon who invent, refine and lead the rest of us!

PPS. http://www.abbottmagic.com/Exhibition-Ca......fnbk.htm is where to go to get the booklet.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
All,

Please let's not forget Hilliard's GREATER MAGIC. Actually the description of how to do pressure fans occurs rather early in this watershed work.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 11:26, kentfgunn wrote:

That little booklet is the best two bucks I ever spent.

PPS. http://www.abbottmagic.com/Exhibition-Ca......fnbk.htm is where to go to get the booklet.

Geeezzzzzzzzzzz, Inflation sucks! I'm the same age as Kent so I want a copy for 2 bucks!
alibaba
View Profile
Loyal user
Hawaii
280 Posts

Profile of alibaba
After more than ten years of on-and-off work on the pressure fan, I've had a recent breakthrough. I believe it was in Expert Card Technique that the authors say (after describing the grip) to give the cards a "snap" to the right. I realized that I'd been trying to do the pressure fan slowly and beautifully, the way you can do it with a powdered fanning deck. A couple of weeks ago I did a pressure fan on old, untreated cards and got exasperated, so before putting the deck down I just sort of ripped one off, fast, and to my amazement I got a good one. So now I'm practicing the "snap" and things are coming along much better.
I'm as real as you think I am
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
If you've read more than one standard description, it's unlikely that the problem is a lack of information. What you really need is just continual practice to develop the knack. When I say "continual" I mean at least 30 minutes a day for a couple of weeks. I had practiced the pressure fan off and on for several years with limited success before I finally decided to master it. I have a desk job that involves a lot of reading, so I practiced it while reading for a couple hours a day for about three weeks. By the end I had a great pressure fan (and tendinitis in my right thumb). If you don't have a desk job, practice it while watching television.
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
BaoHoang
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal, Canada
140 Posts

Profile of BaoHoang
You can learn the pressure fan in the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes by Jerry Cestkowski as well as tons of other fans, cuts, arm spreads... The book covers all the basics Smile
Montreal Magician Bao
www.baomagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Resources for Learning the Pressure Fan??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL