The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When am I a magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Tony Miller
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
When you start learning your second trick.

Discovering your first trick sparked your interest.
Learning it encouraged your interest.
Being excited enought to begin learning another trick confirmed your interest.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
A magician is similar to a dancer, when your partner enjoy dancing with you, you are a good dancer and pple would like to dance with you...
therefore, when pple enjoy watching you perform, you deserve the magician title...
Mind
View Profile
New user
Bedfordshire, UK
76 Posts

Profile of Mind
I only started to view myself as a mentalist when people started to believe the claims I make, and not just brush it aside as a trick.

It took a long while for me to get there, but once people became convinced I could 'read minds' then I knew I was on the right path.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Any kid with a Svengali deck can call himself a magician

- but its when you think -to the very best of your ability about how to entertain and creat magic moments (rather than knowing a few tricks) that you become a magician.

weather anyone but the very greats - makes it is another question
huruey
View Profile
Loyal user
York, UK
205 Posts

Profile of huruey
The way I see it, you become a magician when you stop simply doing tricks and start doing magic.

It's more a state of mind - it's how you perceive what you do.

Joe
Joe Williamson
Chair of the University of York Magic Society
Free Memorized Stack Trainer: http://huruey.webs.com
cheereos
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cheereos
In my opinion, if you are able to entertain total strangers with magic, you can call yourself a magician, albeit not professional, unless you're paid.

Magic is afterall, an entertainment. If you can entertain, I feel you can call yourself a magician.
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
Quote:
On 2009-11-20 05:14, Irfaan Kahan wrote:
If you perform for yourself, family and friends - I would say that you are a hobbyist.

If you perform professionally, even part time, then you are a magician. Even you you are a lousy professional performer - you still are a lousy magician . . .

E.g. If you sing in front of a mirror only - then you're not a singer but a hobbyist or perhaps bored. If you sing professionally and earn an income from it, then you are a singer.

That's my opinion.

I agree
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Unfortunately, there are a lot of wannabes that call themselves magicians when they're really not. Personally, I don't let money enter the equation. Non-paid performers can be solid magicians, be it amateur ones (and I'm not using amateur in the derogatory sense commonly attached to the word).

I consider someone a true magician if:
1) The perform to strangers not just over the internet, but in person.
2) The can entertain a lay audience.
3) If they know a variety of tricks that is enough to keep that audience entertained for at least 4 well practiced effects.
4) Exception: people who design effects that allow other performers to entertain an audience without performing themselves are also magicians because they have the ability to create workable effects.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When am I a magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL