The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Performance Bombed.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
I am a student at Moody Bible institute have been performing for 10 years.. Had the chance to perform a mailbag escape ( Mark Cannon's ) version... I have added 20 feet of chains 2 sets of handcuffs and 7 combination locks...Escape is flawless...We share our testimonies and share what has happened in our lives and how God has set us free ending with the escape...
In front of 2 film crews the President of the School, 200 students, Dean of the school which came to book us for chapel that would have 1,300 students there...
When my partner put on the hinged cuffs on me he put them on backwards and with the way the chains are wrapped around me there was no way that I could get out.... Most humiliating experience that has ever happened to me. had to be dragged out stage left. Also the first time that this has ever happened to me...
What really bothers me is that I went around and had all these people come to see and listen to what we were sharing and man...So I guess the question is what should I do... We have been asked to perform there again... But I don't know if I should invite the dean of students and president of the school back ...

I need advice guys...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Do it again.

Being defeated is not a bad thing. It makes you human, eh? Coming back, deciding that the goal is worth the effort, succeeding...this is dedication, passion, persistence, all of which deserve the reward of applause.

There's also a formula, sometimes seen in circus performance, of success after failure. The failure is built in to the routine, because it makes the success just that much sweeter.

And maybe next time, use bridge jumpers. They can save a lot of work. If you're in a bag, people see the struggle anyway, not the work.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
willhunter
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
140 Posts

Profile of willhunter
Get back on the horse!
aka Billy Boston
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
Thank you Harley thank you Will...We will do it again ...
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2479 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
We have all been there. Listen to Harley. He has the voice of many years of REAL experience. Life is a hard teacher, learn well. Bring in that Dean and President etc. Show them that your can overcome your troubles and come out on top. I think this is a lesson taught repeatedly in the Bible, so they should appreciate it. Let us know how it goes.

P.S. when you are chained, you must be ready for anything. You have to assume something will go wrong, and be ready to handle it. We can talk more privately if you wish, but I find my butt to be an excellent resource when things go unexpectedly for me.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Make a joke.

Tell them you just finished your last performance a few minutes ago and you're sorry they missed it. So here it is again by popular demand... or something like that.

Everyone has been there. Good luck.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
That should only fortify your assertion that the escapes are quite real. Put some money up for the next challenge to benefit a school function or charity. Given the first experience, you might get a fair draw. I remember reading some lecture notes on making mistakes ... on purpose. The audience never knows whether or not they're intentional; but either way, they become part of the show .... so milk it as part of the act. Mistakes happen to everyone ... go for it! Now I haven't performed any escapes yet, but I'm about to get right down in it like you.

Dan.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Escapes and magic are different. You can must of up on an escape it makes it REAL!
AMazing Magic CO said it best....
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Get as many of the original audience as possible to re attend your event.

Make sure you do the same escape for them (But do it right this time)Play on the failure, act humble until achieved,,,then show them that you are as impressed with your own efforts as much as they should be.

NB,,,Re think your methods because escape failure in public unless pre arranged should never, I repeat, never happen.

Ken.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
This happened at a religious school? Well, several Bible passages come to mind in that case. Have you thought that maybe it's God's way of teaching you about humility, vanity or ego? Or that maybe it's not stage perfomance God hopes you will pursue as a Christian?....
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
Thank all of you for your advice I think that I am going to put up $1,000 to the school if I fail. We have been asked to come in again on Dec 1st. I am going to add the following to my scipt " Many people ask me if the chains cuffs and locks are real.. I think that my last perfromance proved that they really are." Kondini I agree mistakes should never ever happen...Chance, your right God did show me humility... Thank all of you for your advice...
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Aren't those hinged cuffs especially difficult?
I had a terrible time with them once but the arresting officer was flattered beause he paid extra for them. Smith & Wesson I think.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I agree with Ken. Make the next performance EXACTLY as the last one was. You can use the failure as a draw to get a bigger audience. Say "This thing's not gonna beat me!" It's a case of "Turn the other cheek" surely.....
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
115 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
Been there done that. At the last W.E.A.R. we performed at an anphatheater so, people walking by could see us rehearse. Well, rehearsal did not go so well. I could not get out in time before the blade on my guillotine was to come down. So in front of some passers by, I had to have everything stopped and let out. However, this made most of those people hang around to see what would happen at the actual performance. After the sucessful escape, many came up to me aferward and said they weren't sure I could get out because they saw what happened earlier.

It turned out to be a good thing and so I did not need to worry about what they thought before hand. It seems like after a failure, people want even more to see a success. Who knows? I may stage it that way in the future?
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Come on, you can`t fool a fooler,,,,you set it up that way to start with !! Right !
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
Funny Jazzy, Mick you and Ken are right It will be the same exact perfromance... Kondini I agree I think BB set it up that way..LOL
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
ChicagoHarry,
Let me tell you my performance Bomb this was and will for me be the worse day of my life and I relive it everyday!!! We were audtioning for the TOP cruise ship in the industry. they spent $10,000 to ship just my equipment over to the ship. They treated us like royalty. There was a change of plans when we got to the ship we were going to do 3 shows now we were just doing 2 shows one the night we got on board another one the next day. I wanted to give them the best show!
Before we shipped our stuff my sub trunk did not have a case I called my friend and person who built my trunk to ask what I should do. he said bolt the the T--- shut to the door and then cover the trunk with cardboard and plastic. I did that shipped it there check when we got on board to amke sure it was all there set up all my show for that night...I'm sure you can see where this is going. The cast and crew were at the show, the captain ALL the main people on board the CRUISE DIRECTOR everyone.
The first effect THE SUB TRUNK.... it was still SCREW TOGETHER I couldn't get out..the show went to hell. I have never been called back since!
You are very lucky take the oppurtunity and I know you will be way better than you know..God never gives anyone more than they can Handle...INvite everyone you know the pres. Everyone!!!
My 2 cents!!!!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Chicagoharry,
The lesson here I think is to dedicate more time in the here and now and master the art of coaching your assistant to do the right thing according to a plan. Ironic that your performance was to 'show how (your) God has set us free and yet you didn't escape.
You might have tried praying under the circumstances, as this technique has been used by many for trying to save lives, getting the job you want and making sure the car doesn't break down on a long trip.

The advice for situations like this is fake a 'black out.' Your assistant should have immediately called for medical assistance. After you 'recover' you can explain what caused you to pass out and that you will take it easy and try the performance again at a latter date.

This method may be in conflict with your beliefs as it would mean telling a lie,( for theatrical sake) and your own vanity but then again , performing an escape is by nature of the art of escapes, is a lie.

As to the line "God never gives anyone more they can handle" is out clause like that at the bottom of an insurance policy. Some people suicide.

Ian
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Though one magical author once referred to escapology as "the most honest form of magic; the escape artist claims he will attempt to get out, and that's what he does."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
Wow Anthony, I am sorry to hear that happened to you man... That is just sick... But thank you for sharing that... Ian the blackout is actually a good idea... I like it...Steve we are all just honest escape artists...lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Performance Bombed.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL