The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Topit Love (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
Hey Guys,

Alright, I am no stranger to Topit stuff. I did a lot of research on Topit patterns and whatnot before deciding on taking the Ammar approach. I played with it for a little while, then forgot about it and went back to the pasteboards.

Then, earlier this week, I took out my coat, as the weather was getting chilly, and there it was. So just for kicks, I put it on and played around. Now it seems, this time, I cannot get enough! I've been going Topit crazy, trying to incorporate its use into everything! Without making it a routine in itself, of course!

I seriously think anyone who doesn't topit is truly missing out. Even if you only use it sparingly, it's use can greatly strengthen your magic!

Sorry, I just had to tell you guys about this recent love affair! Smile

Josh
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Hey, Josh, I had an Ammar installed many years ago, and I loved it, though I had to be weary of becoming "Topit Happy!"

Some of the nicest uses for it are the subtle ones...

Bri
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lewis Davenport used to vanish a cat with his topit.

Hmmmmm... if the cat has claws, you could train it to hang on and wouldn't need the topit. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Pete, is that a big or small cat?
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Haha! I do not have a cat...and my dog is quite big!

However, I did entertain the idea of topiting a gerbil and other assorted rodents...

I got it! Start of my stage act, my topiting a rabbit from the local pet store!! I think that's when you know you've lost it. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are going to use a topit, check out Pat Page's video on its use.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
My favorite set of instructional videos on the Topit was done by Bob Fitch. I really think that Fitch is the modern master of this device.
http://www.fitchmagic.com/Storefront.htm

Michael Ammar's Topit book got me started. The Ammar VHS tapes that supported The Topit Book are also on DVD, too.
http://store.ammarmagic.com/topit-dvd.html

Carl Cloutier has his work on DVD, as well. I've done enough damage here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jay Scott Berry has some good work, as well.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

The problem is there are so many sources!

I never looked too hard at Carl's work on the topit because his work seems to rely on high energy, which is drastically different from my performing style. It's great stuff, it just didn't seem like my style, so I passed it up.

I seriously considered Bob Fitch's DVD, but initially it was a little out of my price range. I heard that his motions utilized his knowledge of choreography and dance...true?

I was just looking to buy Pat Pages DVD on Topit work. Smile

I never looked too much at Jay Scott Berry's, but I did hear it was very practical.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Without going into detail, Jay's topit has a lot going for it. You can't "overthrow" it, for one thing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
As Ken Brooke used to preach, "Don't get greedy with the principle." Use it once.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Sterling advice. The best use of this I have seen has been to ditch gimmicks and generally make magic a lot cleaner...
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

As I said, I use Ammar's Topit now, and I have never overthrown it. I've under-thrown it a lot!

I think more than patterns, I'm looking for different ways to throw into it that are really natural. I don't wanna have that infamous, "Oh, here he comes, he's gonna topit!" body posture/motion. That's what I've been really focusing on during my practice.

Pete, I couldn't agree more!

Mindyourmagic, I've been thinking a lot about that, too. I've begun looking to see what effects I didn't want to do -because of the gimmick- that might be resolved though topiting.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1123 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
When I first got into it, I abused it; vanished anything I could hold in my hand... It's highly addictive, and I still have to fight the urge.
Topits Anonymous, anyone?
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
SOS,

The Topit can be used for more than a resting place for gimmicks, much more. The few that have truly explored Mr. Page's simple little device have been amply rewarded.

If you're looking for well-thought-out vanishes, I mentioned several sources of good information. You should find Carl Cloutier's DVDs, as well. He will fool the snot out of you. You'll be watching him do a trick and, all of a sudden, your nose will start to bleed. Yup, he fooled the snot out of you!

KG
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Never used a Topit cause of my big belly. Any advice?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Ian,

The belly, this really isn't a problem. It may hinder some movements, but you can still benefit from the Topit itself. As Ammar says in his DVDs, it's really a matter of knowing where your Topit is and knowing where to throw. Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sylvester the Jester has a killer way without a jacket. Built in to suspenders. Check it out.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Any thought on the David Penn topit? It is cheap and has a DVD - seems you can pin it into your jackets.

is it worthwhile, or should I just Ammar it?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
If you're a professional, once you install the topit, you can deduct your suit as a business expense.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Topit Love (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL