The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Putting together an online magicshop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Is there any material/software explaining how to put together an online magic shop?
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you very much, Jack. I will purchase it.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
You're welcome. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Jack Skalon

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I purchased it. It has only 43 pages. I skimmed through the pages. It has a lot of important topics, but some topics covers just a little on the general information. Most of the 43 pages are wholesale suppliers.

The book is also copyrighted from 2003-2007. I noticed some of the links it shows have changed.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
A good start would be to sign up with Murphys.
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
Don't want to rain on your parade, but why? I understand it would be nice to have an additional income stream, but what would you offer that would attract customers vs the many existing shops out there? If you have your own products, that would be great, but if you're just offering customers another place to but the same stuff that everyone else offers, it seems like that time would be better spent marketing your act. All the time and money spent building email lists, creating ads, etc, would probably pay off much better targeting clients for shows.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
870 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I was going to open an online shop and starting thinking along the lines that tparrett62 mentions. As much as I would love to own a shop (brick.mortar or online), I couldn't come up with anything that would make my shop unique enough to draw customers over my competitors. I even worked as a demonstrator for a guy that owned a kiosk in a mall and also currently owns an online shop. It's a tough business. He ended up closing the kiosk (which saved me from doing the same thing). The internet is flooded with shops. So I canned the idea. I'm not suggesting that the case is the same for you Mike. If you do it, I hope it's a huge success.
Jack Skalon

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Unless you can work with those who builds props and accessories and ask for exclusivity for certain items. That way your online shop will be able to offer something others do not have. But be prepared for minimum orders.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7401 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If you have your own "tribe" (to borrow a phrase / concept from Seth Godin) already in place, then you might have some success with having your own online magic shop.

It's the same concept as having customer loyalty with your magic show business.

One reason a person might do it, is to take the idea of BOR to a more advanced level.

Your tribe might consist of people who have seen your show, liked you, and purchased some BOR from you there.

Then you take them to the next level like a magic club or an online magic store. They don't go elsewhere because they are in your tribe.

There's also a bit of a paradigm shift, too. Because you have to see yourself as different from just a performer, and into the role of a teacher / mentor as well. And of course, your tribe has to see you / accept you into that role as well.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Some of the suppliers, like Robbins, have minimum orders ranging from $200 to $500 and that's the wholesale prices. Others like Haines require you to buy at least 12 decks at once to get wholesale prices. Hope you have a big enough closet to store your minimum inventory until it moves.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 12:46, Donald Dunphy wrote:
If you have your own "tribe" (to borrow a phrase / concept from Seth Godin) already in place, then you might have some success with having your own online magic shop.

It's the same concept as having customer loyalty with your magic show business.

One reason a person might do it, is to take the idea of BOR to a more advanced level.

Your tribe might consist of people who have seen your show, liked you, and purchased some BOR from you there.

Then you take them to the next level like a magic club or an online magic store. They don't go elsewhere because they are in your tribe.

There's also a bit of a paradigm shift, too. Because you have to see yourself as different from just a performer, and into the role of a teacher / mentor as well. And of course, your tribe has to see you / accept you into that role as well.

- Donald

Donald, I never knew you were a mind reader. What you explained is one of the reasons I was thinking about doing it. I do not plan to make it strong nationwide, just locally.

The other reason is to help out my performance website with SEO. The online magic shop will be connected to it. It will help bring in more traffic locally. That is the main purpose. And I am not thinking about having a lot of storage space. I just want to stock about 20 different tricks. Each one will deal with easy to perform kid tricks.

I will also order the cheap magic sets with my picture on the package. It will make a good promoter for my entertainment business.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7401 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Dynamike -

I do have a question, and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to.

In your area, David Castle has already made somewhat of a reputation for himself as a magician & magic teacher (leaning more towards "revealer" in my opinion, and it would seem in the opinion of many others.) Now, I don't know if he runs any sort of online magic store (I've never looked really closely), but I know he has a ton of videos out there that teach secrets. I don't know what sort of tribe he has, and if it is just local or larger.

Why do you want to do something similar to what your competition is doing?

Don't you want to create a UNIQUE Selling Proposition (USP)?

Another way to ask what I am asking is this... How are you going to make your approach to selling magic different from his approach, in such a way as it really and truly makes you seem different to lay people? To many lay people, they might just see that you are both selling secrets, and therefor both the same (very common, not unique). You need to think how you are going to get past that in their minds. You might end up facing a battle of perceptions with the public.

It's not as simple as saying, "I'll be different." You have to think about HOW.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Hey Penguinmagic did it out of there dorm room at college and now is the huge empire they are today!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 19:53, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Another way to ask what I am asking is this... How are you going to make your approach to selling magic different from his approach, in such a way as it really and truly makes you seem different to lay people? To many lay people, they might just see that you are both selling secrets, and therefor both the same (very common, not unique). You need to think how you are going to get past that in their minds. You might end up facing a battle of perceptions with the public.

It's not as simple as saying, "I'll be different." You have to think about HOW.

My main purpose of the online shop is to generate more traffic in performing magic shows. I really do not care about the small amount I can make selling tricks.

If I wanted to push time into the tricks, I would not be revealing like the unmasked moron. Because when he reveals, the lay people already know the secrets. It will take away their interest in buying the tricks. Another good way to look at me selling too is I will be so much competition with him, it might put him out of business from revealing our secrets.
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 15:45, Paddy wrote:
Some of the suppliers, like Robbins, have minimum orders ranging from $200 to $500 and that's the wholesale prices. Others like Haines require you to buy at least 12 decks at once to get wholesale prices. Hope you have a big enough closet to store your minimum inventory until it moves.

I good friend of mine has an online shop for a few years now and he said a lot of the wholesalers are dropping their minimum for orders. I assume it is due to the economy and they are trying to sell what ever they can. But you should know going in that a magic shop is not a very lucrative business.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3127 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Yes Penguin stsrted with 2 partners,students out of their dorm room college in Michigan, where Oz Pearlman was also a student and they have buit up an empire.
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 05:32, Dynamike wrote:
I purchased it. It has only 43 pages. I skimmed through the pages. It has a lot of important topics, but some topics covers just a little on the general information. Most of the 43 pages are wholesale suppliers.

The book is also copyrighted from 2003-2007. I noticed some of the links it shows have changed.

Hey Dynamike, glad for your quick review because I almost bought this... Smile

But I see you mentioned that your purpose is to create an online shop to draw
more business to your show. Why not just get a couple of items and just use
them as upsells to your show? And it will not hurt to have these items on your
website for your clients.

In other words, instead of the direction of having a shop to draw to your show;
have your show be a draw to your shop... Smile
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-11-24 08:46, Rizzo wrote:
Yes Penguin stsrted with 2 partners,students out of their dorm room college in Michigan, where Oz Pearlman was also a student and they have buit up an empire.

Yes, but Penguin also did it at a time when the market wasn't flooded with online stores. Timing helps a lot when it comes to these things. They also did it with an injection of some serious capital from one of their family members.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
I will also order the cheap magic sets with my picture on the package. It will make a good promoter for my entertainment business.

Why would you put your name and image on a CHEAP product?

Do you want your name associated with cheap products ......

..... or would you rather have your name and image viewed as a high quality brand?
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Putting together an online magicshop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL