The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Info on HH UK Tour. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
A pile of paperwork was passed onto me from the estate of the late Alan Burford. Among the items are letters etc relating to Houdini topping the bills at various venues,,,from the following details supplied I have not been able to confirm,,any refs or verification info on them.

1904 Empire Bristol.

1911 Hull @ Cardiff.

1914 April or maybe May @ Oldham or maybe Cardiff (Burford involvement dureing this period.

The following years Burford involvement with Selbit and in particular the Wrestling Cheese Illusion.

Any help here on any or all would be appreciated.

Ken.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Ken, This is what I found...

1904...Empire Bristol...October 10th-15th Expose of Mysto's Coffin Escape

1911...Palace Theatre Hull...Jan 30th-Feb 4th Packing Case Escape on Feb. 3rd

1911...Empire Theatre Cardiff...March 13th-18th In Cardiff, Houdini visits Charles O Williams about the construction of a Water Torture Cell

1914...Palace Theatre Oldham...April 20th-25th No record of performance

1914...Empire Theatre Cardiff...May 25th-30th No record of performance

That's all I have here. Selbit crossed swords with Houdini in 1914 when he claimed that he invented the "Walking Through a Brick Wall" illusion, apparently bought by Houdini from S.E. Josolyne. The original illusion was "Walking through a Steel Wall" and was reworked by Houdini, even copyrighting it in a way by incorporating the effect in a short play.

He worked until four in the morning to set up the illusion, amd presented it first at Hammerstein's Roof Garden in New York, and the at Keith's Theatre in Boston.

Hope this helps..

Mick
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Cheers Mick, been up half the night with this !

Your ref`s match perfectly with the details I have here. The complication came in with the fact that A Burfords father was also A Burford !! This drove me mad and of course put all the dates out.

Can now say for sure that the info was passed and hidden from father to son.

Alan Burford lived in the Surrey area for the first part of his life then after gaining bomb disposal credentials made his money in Sydney Australia. After the war he returned to Manningford in Wiltshire where he is buried with his wife Evelyn in the local churchyard.

During his stay in Oz he returned several times to work as advisor to both Harry and Selbit. This tallies with your info on the dot.

Upon rtirement back in the UK he built a replica Cheese, this is the one which I performed at an early IBM Picnic show (Malvern Theatre). Then J Fisher (At the time P Daniels producer) Contacted him regarding giving performance rights to the BBC for PD to perform it. This was declined, Alan smashed up the illusion and buried the remains in his garden (Copper Cottage, Manningford) The remains are proberly still there now.

The plans were given to me (I still have them) The original Selbit Cheese is resting on the bed of the English Channel.

Could go on but would bore you with the other details.

Thanks Mick, you know your blurb.

Ken.

PS,,,How much would four of Harry`s autographs be worth !!!
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I've sent you a PM Ken.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
It must have vanished Mick ?
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Sorry Ken. Please PM me with details of what you have, and I'll see if I can help, regarding autographs
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3608 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Info on HH UK Tour. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL