The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Email vs. Postcards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
One of the Café members just got finished giving me information on who I should marketing to. I will start off with the project this week.

But I was wondering what is the best way to contact an organization? Postcards have been a strong way to make first contact for years. Do you think emails have out-rated postcards by now? What do you think is stronger in having a prospect call you?

Emails:
Pros - Quicker to do. Free.
Cons - Easy to get deleted. Might be targeted as spam.

Postcards:
Pros - Can be saved until the right time.
Cons - Purchase price. Mailing price.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I did an e-mail marketing campaign to all the colleges I regularly work for. It went out three times. No response. One mail shot to half the colleges got a good response. Lesson learnt. There is no delete button on a postcard.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have done email campaigns and they have done EXTREMELY well. It really is all in how you go about it. Like any marketing vehicle, you have to do the research first, have a qualified lead list and also have the marketing piece be specifically geared towards the needs, wants and solutions you can provide to that market.

With email, there is a lot more you have to think about. It can not be treated like a standard mailing cause the simple fact is it is a differtent media. It can work very effectively if you go about it the right way and do your homework and have a system set in place.

I have used email marketing as a part of my overall marketing stratgey and have received great ROI over the years. So much so that I have geared up my emailm marketing this year. In just 2 simple initial email blasts, I received over 10 prospects very much intersted and received that in less then a 12 hour span. that was only from a target email of just 75 leads. Not too bad.

Now I also do a 2 step follow up process. When I do, it is important to know the proper timing of when to send them and how to word them. I ahve worked hard over the years to test out different times and different wording, and have developed what I feel works best for my wife and I.

So the bottom line is that they BOTH can work very well. One is not better then the other. The best solution is using a combination of both and doing so effectively. Then track your results. having both as part of your marfketing mix, will serve you well.

If you or anyone has any questions, just PM me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Good look'n guys.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Kyle -

What markets have you tested emails in? Only Blue and Gold?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Good question. I ask myself this too...

I have learned that if you are sending an email. It is best to keep it short and state it as a letter and not an ad.

For example:

Greetings,

I came across your organization today on xxxxxxx.com. I wanted to quickly introduce myself I am xxxx a family xxxxx. Could you direct me to the person who handles booking entertainment for your group? Please feel free to forward this email to whoever you see fit....

Breifly more about me:
xxxx
xxxx
xxx
xxxxx

Cheers
website
phone number
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Good stuff here, Magi -- as usual -- thanks for the food for thought.

Leland
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2009-11-22 18:17, Dynamike wrote:
Postcards:
Pros - Can be saved until the right time.
Cons - Purchase price. Mailing price.

One other Pro for postcards is that they tend to get more attention / longer attention than an email, because they are snail mail. Especially if it's a colour photo, which is often hard to throw away.

Recently, at Eric Paul's Super Conference, some of the marketers were talking about this, in regards to the impact of print newsletters vs. email newsletters, etc. The same idea applies for other forms of marketing directed at suspects, prospects, customers, and clients.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I on the post card side of the fence. tehy work well and as th ey say a picture is worth a thousand words. email I think has become so how shoudl I say it NOt fun.

I get som much crap that unless it is something I was looking for I don't bother with it anymore. I coudl not care who its from if its not something or someone I am familiar the magic delete button comes out.

now concernering Kyles email (sucessful) email as he says by the way a good freind of mine.

Kyle I think your emails were successful because of who you sent the emails too. if I am not mistaken it was for you lecture stuff for magic clubs therefore I am not sure your campaign qualifys for what Dynamike is asking.

you are sending emails to people who either already know you or know of you or your letter refers to magic clubs and dsent to magic clubs.

agian I am not sure what other email campaign you have done. Please let us know what emails you have done!!

I would be surprised if you were to send emails to daycares or schools that you would get a good return.

Now I have done both a post card mailer followed by a phone call after the 2nd mailing and this has resulted in not only future contacts but many bookings.

I plan to ramp up this format for the upcoming summer shows. I already did one mailing of postcards last month and the next set going out early december again in mid january and then the phone calls start.

by the way if you need post cards printed let me know I have the best quality and prices on the planet!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9912 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Email or postcard campaigns may differ depending on the application. Using email for lead generation is quite different from using it to blast past, current or prospective clients. One is to introduce your self/service to them, the other serves as more of a reminder or update once some sort of contact, correspondence or initial interest has been made.

Since what is probably of interest to most of us is how well does one work versus the other in initial lead generation?
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Emails just aren't as effective as they used to be. People have LAYERS of spam filters that are hard to get through.

People don't see postcards much anymore so they are a novelty in themselves when they come in the mail.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
The great thing about postcards is that most of the time people ARE going to look at them, to at least see what the postcard is. If they are not interested, they will not read the back, but they have to see the front.

I don't have a problem sending out unsolicited postcards, but I do have a problem sending unsolicited email. Unless I've had prior contact with the person, anything else IS just spam.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
After reading all of your replies, I put a plan together. What do all of you think about the following procedure?:

First email all the prospects. If I receive no contact from the individual in one week, next send a postcard to the individual. Any comments?
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I would do it the other way around, since the postcard is the attention-getter, e-mail is followup. Also, you'd have to get the postcards printed in bulk so mailing them only to certain prospects seems like a waste.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Hi guys,

Let me try and answer as many questions from you all as I possibly can. it would be my pleasure.

Donald: I have used my own email marketing campaign for numerous markets over the years. This ranges from festivals to scout groups to civic organizations to YMCas and Boys and girl clubs and much much more.

The beauty is that it works for me and works amazingly well. It is a system I have developed over the years and refined to get it to work for me. It is a part of my overall marketing strategy and is just a mere tool in the overall marketing systems we have set in place.

Sam: Hi my friend. As stated above it was not sent to book my lecture or even sent to magicians for my products etc. This system and these emails I send out are going to suspects. These are people who have never heard of me before and have no knowledge of me or what I can offer to them.

However, even know they are suspects, the email system I use still gives me great results every single time. I not only get repsonse, but I get qualified repsonses and prospects reallyt wanting more information and wanting to book.

Now this did not happen overnight. It was a system I researched, tried, tested and refined over many years. it is as at a point now where I know ways in whioch to avoid my emails going into spam. I know how to create a subject line that gets interest. I know how to word my emails so it is not so much solicitation as it comes more acorss as a friendly letter that is giving them a solution to problems I know they have. I have created a call to action that works in an email environment and gets people to take action directly.

Neale: I have to disagree with you my friend. =) Emails are as effective if not more effective then they ever have been. Take a look at how many people are online every day. Consider how many folks check email and how often they do it. Email is an open avenue that is available 24/7 every day of the year and never closes to take a postal holiday.

It is a matter of how effective you are at creating and working within the email enviornment to get folks to open, take notice, read and take direct action.

This is a real email I just received today from an email campaign I sent out less then 24 hours ago. Keep in mind this is a new market and a lady who has never seen or even knew about me prior to the email going out to them.

"This looks so interesting! We would love to get some more information from you. We would love to know what the cost of the "(My New magic Program)" would be. This sounds like something our kids would love to do!"

As you can see this email got this lady completely interested and willing to take action and dying for more informatyion all from one single email sent to her. It can and does work if you are willing to study it.

Hope this helps. If ANYONE has any questions or more information, let me know. Happy to assist.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Kyle- I stand corrected my friend
good job then and keep it going.

Ihave not really done a lot of email marketing other then to send an email blast to current and past clients. the post card with a follow up phone call has been very good to me.

sam
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Kyle knows his stuff and it works !!
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
He is right once in a while:) LOL

kyle is a good freind and I enjoy talking shop with h im

HEY KYLE when are you goingto officially invite me to dinner!?
Jacoby
View Profile
New user
Canada
27 Posts

Profile of Jacoby
Kyle: If this is a woman who has never heard of you, or seen you... How did you get her email? I am not doubting you. But I have had some failures with email campaigns in the past, so I am interested to hear how that worked.

As for email vs. postcard campaigning. What I have done, is divided my press package into 2 different categories. The first category is the 'big' package, this is the one I will send out to clients who I have already spoken to, and want more info.

The second package is the 'small' one, and THIS is the important one in this subject. It is just big enough to give them something to SERIOUSLY consider, but not so big that it takes up time they don't have going through. Usually this is nothing more than:

1. A letter (with your own letter head) to the Manager/Organizer. Keep it brief, descriptive, and persuasive.
2. A few promotional pictures (on something similar to the size and thickness of a postcard)
3. A 25% discount coupon (If I am serious about getting this gig, and I know it will help me expand and even more)

Lastly, and in my opinion, the most important piece. It is a small envelope, with writing on it that says "Do not open until your first meeting with Jacoby". So NOW, even if they were barely considering me, they will want to meet with me even more, to find out what is in the envelope. Then, when I go to meet with them, after the meeting, I perform a prediction effect, have them open it up, and sure enough, it is the correct prediction. (Lately, I have been using Richard Sanders "Sugarless Bill", except instead of their bill appearing in a gum pack, it is in the envelope.. VERY strong"

That is my 2 cents. Hope it helped.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Sam: Just keep standing ands going.. but no need to stand corrected my friend. =) I think many folks just forget that handling email is the same as handling a postcard mailing or promo packet mailing. What I mean is you have to put the same amount of effort into it.

I think because folks are so used to emailing and doing ti every day, they do not take the time to think about it and develop a strategy first. They tend to just sit down and write something and send it and hope it works. Much more to it then just that.

David: Thanks my friend. Your check is in the mail.=)

Sam: We have to get you guys over for dinner for sure. That would be a good time. just have to think of dates and such. Would be fun.

Jacoby: I get the emails through my standard email and lead generation process. I have ways in which to research and gather leads and contacts. This then gets refined before I do an email mailing. There aare many effective ways in which to acquire leads and email contacts.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Email vs. Postcards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL