The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is it OK to perform Growing/shrinking head illusion in hospitals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

krowboom
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago area
456 Posts

Profile of krowboom
I perform in children's hospitals where kids are obviously sick, going through various medical procedures, etc. The show is in a play center and not in their rooms so they are reasonably well enough to be able to come down to this center. I have the growing/shrinking head illusion but am a little hesitant to perform it in this venue. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2913 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I would think it would be fine. It's a lot of fun especially when the audience looks at each other. When in doubt check with the medical staff and explain what the illusion does....Just my 3 cents!
Dave
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I would explain its an optical illusion and stress how FUNNY and COMICAL it will look.. this sets the minds to laugh vs. freak out and be scared in some cases.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
It is important to present age appropriate magic.Most pediatric units will have a fairly wide range of patients from toddlers to age 18.I would not present the same magic to a 4 year old that I would present to a 7 year old.Often times a family member is present and you can ask them if in doubt.
Northern California
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Most kids can't concentrate well enough to make this trick work. I have stopped using it for children's shows. I only do it for adult shows and mixed audiences. If you do it, be prepared for a long silence after the spiral stops.

Jim
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1069 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Krowboom ...
mmm ... quit whilst you're a head.

sorry, just had to get that in.
If it is the same illusion I am thinking of, using the rotating disc ... just use the bunny ....

If this does not make sense, PM me.

Wulfie
Tony Miller
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Use it.
Anything that can make a sick kid smile is good.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
He won't smile. He'll just ask you why the disc stopped,

Jim
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
I wonder why it doesn't work for you, Jim. I've seen a video of Brian Lehr performing this and no matter how hyper and unconcentrated the kids are, they notice.

Of course, an optical illusion can wreak havoc on your eyes and brain. I'd ask the opinion of the medical staff before performing this.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
It does work - it works really well. Especially in large mixed groups, like a fair or festival. But for a small group of YOUNG kids, I've had very little luck.

Jim
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
PS: You the guy(s) at Kidabra Pigeon Forge last year?

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is it OK to perform Growing/shrinking head illusion in hospitals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL