The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Website Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CatLady
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of CatLady
Hello Ventriloquists,
I have just hired a web designer to help me with a website and was wondering if you had any advice you could offer me.

What sort of information/media do you think should be included? Is there any element of your website that you wished you'd designed differently?

I'd love to see some of your favorite vent websites if you are keen to share.
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
I'd look outside of magic websites. See the kind of thing kids might be interested in or that Adults would like to buy.
Check your aspirations. Are you cheap and chearful, or are you the millionares magician? Your web site needs to reflect this.
creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
Take a peek at mine
http://www.woodynfriends.com
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I definitely recommend video if you have any.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
otherjohn
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of otherjohn
As a professional web designer and online marketer for the last 10 years, I must ask you what is your main goal in your website. It it to be just a "online brochure" or is it to market you and get you more business?

If it is just to be an "online brochure" then I have no recommendations. Sites like this are not going to get you business. These sites are built with the thought that you can't get much business online. They are usually done cheaply and reflect poorly on the owner.

BUT, if your site is for marketing your brand and image, then I have a few recommendations.

• Setup a youtube account and put plenty of videos on your site (and youtube). Be sure to include your website's domain in the video and on the youtube description.
  • Setup a facebook "BUSINESS PAGE" and promote that page heavily. Google will be changing how it lists websites very soon (in the next few months) and you will see listings from Facebook and twitter.
  • Point people to your "other" web pages, i.e. facebook and twitter on your main website.
  • Setup a blog on your website and update it regularly. A blog should hold articles concerning your craft, updates on your business, and personal tidbits. These all go a long way to getting your site ranked in the search engine and keeping it there.
  • Decide in the market you are trying to reach demographically and adjust some of your site to meet that need. For example: if you are trying a specific city or region then make sure you mention your areas in your site and have your business address (even if its your home) at the footer. This will help you get listed in
  • Google maps. Also, speaking of Google Maps, you can put your listing in their for free. When you setup google maps listing, be sure to put relevant keywords in the listing and your link to your website. These map listings are and will be showing up in searches more and more. For example if someone was searching for "Philadelphia entertainer" you might see a map showing on the google search page with a few listings of entertainers in that area. You want to be in those listings because they show first on the page.
  • Set aside a realistic budget to use for advertising. I recommend you take 20% of your profit and put it to marketing. Make sure you have a professional setup your google adwords accounts because otherwise you will be wasting money. In the end, you should be spending no more than 20% per client you get. 20% is a high range number, you can do this with less budget.
  • In the end, remember this website is a reflection of you. It should look trustworthy, professional, and speak to your potential audience at their level. Stay away from automatically playing sound clips. Sites made in 100% flash, and make sure your navigation is easy to use and figure out.

Hope this helps!
John
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Some great advise John.
Im putting a new web site together at the moment and I'm looking into auto responders.
I'll let you know when it's up and running.
otherjohn
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of otherjohn
For auto-responder I recommend using aweber.com. Its about 20 a month and will do everything you need and more. Plus it pretty dummy proof.
John
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
David Farr offered his Amazing System for awhile, but when I was ready to purchase, he had stopped selling. I looked at several autoresponders before deciding on AutoResponder Plus. They installed it directly on my web server and offered excellent customer support when I had questions.

There is a learning curve and it takes time to set up the sequence, but once it was done, I was very happy. And no recurring fees.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Sonny Vegas
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, Illinois - USA
199 Posts

Profile of Sonny Vegas
Check mine out. I did it myself with very easy software program.
http://www.SonnyVegas.com
Believe in yourself and the magic will come.

www.SonnyVegas.com
www.TheVegasBrothers.com
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Sorry to be brutal Sonny but that's just what it looks like. I think if you are making top quality puppets for the 21st century that's what your web site should represent.
I'm on the process of redoing mine at the moment, I'll post the link when its done.
thorsten dankworth
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of thorsten dankworth
Quote:
On 2010-03-12 15:19, Sonny Vegas wrote:
Check mine out. I did it myself with very easy software program.
http://www.SonnyVegas.com

:dizzy: And that´s how it looks like - a selfmade homepage but not a professional one. Sorry, but this is a perfect negative example of a homepage - unbusinesslike and oldfashioned, like a homepage of the first generation.
TonyPorter
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of TonyPorter
Some very cool puppets though.
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
The puppets look great! His web site doesn't. Does that matter? I think it does as it's the first idea that most people will have about your business. We don't like to admit it but we all judge on first impressions.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Cat lady,
Check out mine at http://www.drsolar.com I have very good listings. I kicked around with some low end designers for a while until I found a terrific artist.
Let me know what you think.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Doc, your site looks great, as does your show. I've found some video of your show on YouTube but if you have a link to video on your site I couldn't locate it. People, (and Google's search algorithm) love video. I'm working on getting some video on my site because I've gotten this same advice from several folks in the know about such things. My own site is need of some reworking and better organization.. I'm working on it.

http://www.mrpitts.com
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
CatLady
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of CatLady
Hi Vent friends,
I just thought I'd pop by to show you guys my new website.
http://www.sarahjones.com.au
I am really happy with how it turned out.

It still has a slight glitch with some firefox browsers (the links to other pages at the top don't come up) but that is being ironed out.

I will be adding more photos and video to my media page soon.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and if there are any other glitches or spelling mistakes etc that I might have missed please do let me know.
Cheers,
Sarah Jones
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Great site! Love the crisp, clean design/look.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Sarah I agree with Tom. Simple , clean and fresh looking. See you at conVENTion.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Sarah, I loved it! Can't wait to see the other pages...
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Website Advice (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL