The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mel Mellers new DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
My favourite magic comedian is back with 2 new DVS's:

Modern Marvel 1 & 2

7 effects on each DVD

http://www.rsvpmagic.com/

Anyone got them allready, would love a review.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Peo,

Russ here from rsvp (the producers of the DVDs).

The DVDs are available to pre-order and are due to ship the second week in December. Please check out the trailers to see just what the DVDs feature.

Best,
Russ - rsvpmagic
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Thanks for the information Russ.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
My favourite magic comedian as well. my xmas list is getting longer. its his gags / jokes that I like.
JOEMAGICMAN
View Profile
New user
New York
9 Posts

Profile of JOEMAGICMAN
I agree with you guys not only is he funny, his routines are great and use simple props that must of us have already.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I love Mel's humor and work. The dvd's I have, Tickling The Mind 1 & 2 and Undiscovered Wonder are beautifully produced as well as contain killer magic and mentalism.

MORE Mel Mellers is a good thing!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jarod
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
226 Posts

Profile of Jarod
Russ,

thank you for the trailer on YouTube! ... a wee little trick! Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edaAwv7oRls

Can't wait to get the DVD's!

Cheers,
Jarod Smile
It's not the Trick. It's the Magician!

Harry Houdini
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
More trailers on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/rsvpmagic

I'm looking forward to these DVD's !
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

Just to let everyone know who oredred, these have arrived and all orders were shipped yesterday.

Best,
Russ
jugglestruck
View Profile
Inner circle
Wales
1038 Posts

Profile of jugglestruck
Hats off to Mellers....
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1990 Posts

Profile of puggo
Initial thoughts / mini (long!) review. I have to confess that I am a Mel Mellers fan, so will leave the proper critiques to more neutral observers..

I received these 2 DVDs today, and would like to share some first impressions:

Quality - I have said it many times elsewhere, but if RSVP is on the label, that means you will get quality production values.

Crediting - Mel credits sources during each explanation

Performances - Performances seem to be mainly at lectures (?), although you still get strong audience interaction and all the gags (perhaps not quite as strong as in 'Tickling the mind' with a holiday camp type audience)

Explanations - Some effects (e.g. 'You could be') don't go into details of the mechanics of the gaff, as it is a marketed effect (Mel tells you from where to get the props). Otherwise, the explanations are detailed, including how to make certain props. However, the main reason for buying a Mel Mellers product (for me), is seeing how he creates a performance piece.

Thoughts of Chairman Mel - Some thoughts and insights into the (paid) magic world, including cruise ship work (mainly as a response to lecture audience questions).

The effects:
Vol.1
6 Card mystery - By far the best / most original variation of 6 card repeat I have seen... except it won't replace the 'king' of 5/6 card repeats, Bill Abbott's 5 card opener in my stand up set - BUT, both of these DVDs together are cheaper than the Abbott 5 card opener package.
Do as I do Plumes - Proof that a great performer can make the simplest of tricks into a performance piece. I would certainly keep this in my Children's party magic kit.
Mass distraction - An amazing Magic Square routine at speed. Well done, but magic square routines don't really appeal to me.
No water Underwater escape - No live performance, but still gives me ideas... A dry Houdini type no-water escape!
Lucky number - A slick center tear routine.
Eyeball - a quick visual bit of fun. Simillar (but different) to Geoff Williams 'If thyn eye offends thee'
Watch this - A watch smash gets the Mellers treatment.
Feather Flea Finale - A flea performs a feat of strength. A routine that got me thinking, what if I... (you get the idea!)

Vol.2
Bottle opener - Got a Nielson bottle (yes I have). Don't want to do the usual routine with it? (no I don't). Here is a decent presentation to consider (and I will!)
You could be - A Newspaper tear in reverse, with a twist. A solid variation.
Hands off - A more in depth treatment (and explanation) of the hand off illusion shown on a previous Mellers offering. A lot of fun, but I would want to pick the right spectators (not drunk!), so that the routine is not de-railed.
Personalitree - You identify which 'artist' drew which picture. Typical Mellers, where the effect is a vehicle for the performer's comedy.
Wee Trick - No live performance. Got 'Multum in Parvo'? here is a way of presenting it with humour.
Solved Disolved - Slydini silk routine
Pseudo card routine. A big routine built around a simple card trick.

Summary and thoughts (or my attempt at a constructive critique / review).
This is more of what Mel Mellers does so well. Take a basic effect or concept, and turn it into a comedy performance piece.
In some ways, I think that the actual material may be a bit stronger overall on 'Tickling the mind'. The performances here were generally not as sharp, due possibly to some audiences being a lecture crowd.
Repeated views may increase my appreciation of the set.

Will I use the material?
I will certainly look at, and perhaps adapt several pieces, namely:
Do as I do Plumes
No water Underwater escape
Eyeball
Feather Flea Finale
Bottle opener
Pseudo card routine
I could not just take a Mellers piece and more or less replicate it in my act. Mel has such a strong performace character, that is not something I would or could copy. Part of the value of the material is inspirational. Another part is the 'bits of business'. For example, in my rope routine (which is absolutely always in my show), I added a line Mel's patter (rope vs body part size!) when working for adults. It seems silly, but that line was easily worth the price of the DVD (yes, cheesy quote alert!) considering how many laughs it gets, and how many times I have performed it.

Overall: The set is good value. Mellers is a great performer, a concise teacher, and proof of what you can do with a few simple props / basic plot. I will probably make up the Do as I do Plumes for my kids show, and will slightly modify the bottle opener for my stand up act. there are bits of business that will be picked up, and other ideas that I will experiment with.
I would love to see Mel perform live, and to attend a lecture. Be inspired, get out your Tarbell, pick an effect, and give it your version of the Mellers treatment. Or just use what is here!

Charlie
Maynard
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Maynard
Thanks Charlie, nice review Smile
mrmuji
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of mrmuji
Thanks for the review! I was on the edge of purchasing it too.
Best Regards,

Bob
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1586 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Mel Mellers is one of the few guys whose DVDs are worth purchasing for the performances alone.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
I just received the DVD's and I agree with Charlie's review. (I became a Mel Mellers fan too ;-) )
When I get inspired after watching a DVD then I'm a happy customer which is the case with these DVD's!
Also hats off to Russ Stevens for the quality production values.
I'm Already Looking forward to Modern Marvels 3 & 4 Smile
magicfungi
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
3 Posts

Profile of magicfungi
I too am a fan of Mel's. However, did anyone else discover the discrepancy in the Magic Square(Distraction)? Makes me wonder if it was intentional subterfuge or just an "honest" mistake.

Mel always amazes me with his audience work and control. Very few can extend a 4 minute routine into 12 on laughs alone...but Mel sure can!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Mel includes my "Hands Off" aka "Slice of hand illusion" with a back-handed approach to the illusion. This effect is available again after a long absence. PM me about it.
Mel owns 27 of the boxes.
Available the end of this month.
My DVD instruction, which comes with the illusion, includes Mel's "take" on the effect.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
ades888
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of ades888
I discovered his work for the first time on this DVD set and was very impressed. I like the fact he takes pretty standard tricks/plots and adds great presentational ideas to turn them into more meaningful routines.
I am already using "You could be" - which I think is a great premise for the T&R newspaper. His thoughts on the traditional method are wonderful and is working well in the act already. A great opener or closer in my opinion. Nice and understated.
paulE
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of paulE
Great DVD's I hve both sets.his stage prescence and ad libbing along with his set gags are brilliant.
His audience management of the little girl is brilliant whilst maintaing a significant adult inuendo!
superb
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hello Everyone,

As the producer of this project, I'm so glad that you're all enjoying Mel's latest DVDs. He'll be making his U.S convention debut at Paul Stone's 'Innovention 2010' in Las Vegas on the 4th - 7th October, so pop along and see a real master at work!

Best,
Russ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mel Mellers new DVD's (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL