The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountains (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
Hi All,

I really love this effect and I am wondering how difficult is it to make your own?

Many thanks
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
The "silk fountain" can be created very easily with several loose silk hankerchiefs. Check out a book titled "Silk Potpourri" and you'll find it in there.

Scott Smile
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Jay Scott Berry has a silk fountain set up using diamond cut silks for a really HUGE production of silks in his "Illusioneering 2000" lecture notes.

Available here

and here:

http://www.misdirections.com/exclusive/berry.htm

Probably lots of other shops, too.
malini
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of malini
Yeah, Jay Scott Berry's one is really cool. I made it up myself and it looks great and gets a good audience reaction. Smile
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
Many thanks for all the help. I'll certainly get the lecture notes.
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
You can also find instructions on the Jeff McBride On Stage videos. He has lots of good tips & tricks on silk magic.

Smile
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Cool, I was wondering the same thing about making one. My grandma is adept at sewing and the such so it probably wouldn't be much of a problem.

Peter White of P&A silks did a lecture at Hank's Conclave where he showed how to make one— unfortunately, I was still sleeping in my room at that time. Smile

-Corey
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
In my version, all the silks are loose. No sewing involved.
Michael MacDonald
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
If you want, and a friend of mine did this, a button can be sewn into the middle of it. The silk fountain I use is also constructed of loose silks. I did use his 'buttoned' fountain once, and it handled nicely.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
What do you guys put in the centre of the fountain? Something as a final silk, etc.?

I have seen large 6ft square silks. Also, I sprinkle confetti in while I fold it up. This causes much amusement when it is unfolding.

(I use mine when I unfold my zombie. It starts overflowing over it. I use mylar confetti. This looks like part of the ball.)
It's really clever! Smile
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
If you want to have a sensational and breathtaking "Silk Fountain" use 36 inch silks from the SKS-Studios. This business has re-opened again and the late Harold and Thelma Rice´s daughter owns it now.

The silks are expensive, yes, but they look on stage FANTASTIC. They`re made for the stage and you SEE it. Years ago I started my "parrot production" with a silk fountain. I used loose silks. By the way, nobody seems to know anymore who was the inventor of the fountain. It was the Dutch magician MARCONICK.
Check SKS web:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com

TED LESLEY
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
Wouldn't it take ages folding up the 36" silks?

I agree, it could look spectacular, but I don't want to spend an hour folding up a silk fountain!
Smile
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I bought a silk fountain from Duane Laflin— incredible prop. He has a special release gimmick & another gimmick for a final production. I love his stuff.

Paul Diamond has a tape out on silks where he also shows you how to make one. Duane's silks are attached, nothing falls on the floor & the silks are very good quality. Costs about $100. It was worth it to me. I get a very nice reaction.

His website is http://www.laflinmagic.com
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Excuse me guys, but I have a little question down here. I have the McBride on Stage videos and I saw the description of the effect "Mountain of silks" but my question is this: Does the velcro have to be sewn to the silk or not?

Thanks in advance
MAGO68
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I love the effect. I dislike the set up. Well, I've got no choice.
mghia
View Profile
Veteran user
Kymystical
387 Posts

Profile of mghia
I made my own.

I wanted a P&A but Peter said I would have to wait for one. Actually he stated, "If Lance Burton had to wait, you have to wait too." His back order list can be months.

His hems and dyes are great.

Since I could not wait, I went to the city and bought my own silk with a heavy weight to match his. Rolled each hem, and bought professional dyes. I needed a wider range of colors for the silks than most shops carry. SO it had to be a custom job or I had to do it myself.

At the end I have a 60" inch square multi-color silk open up. Since I am only 5' it looks HUGE. I could steal a person from under it.

The cost still works out to be much less and the time it takes is long and rewarding. If you choose to go this route, you will appreciate why they charge what they charge to make a deluxe fountain.

To answer other questions, sewing them together is not hard and recommended. Do you really want to pick up the silks later or risk them falling to a dirty floor? OR if kids are in hand reach they will snatch them up on you.

Sewing through even 20 silks is easy and keeps them in the proper place and order.

Velcro works to hold the load but can be heard even on a large stage. Best to use a fabric snap.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I suggest you look at the Rice Encylopedias for the many varieties of fountains that can be made.

I agree with the 36" silks to 6' which is what I have used and made for years. It is a large enough number of silks to be effective but can be folded up in a relatively short time.

Sew the silks together with a loose basting stitch so if you need to replace one you can. The point about them dropping on the floor is well taken.

Color scheme needs to be thought out. I custom dye Dale Salwak's with several shades of blue and purple.

I'm not sure I would use the 36" art silks in the fountain but a big 6' art at the end could be seen and appreciated.

Velcro is a no-no around silks as it will snag the silk. A clip or rubberband can hold the restraining silk in place.

My website has movies of one being worked and a pdf catalog with more information. General Grant also does a very nice silk fountain as did Slydini.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2002-10-13 04:16, Ted Lesley wrote:
By the way, nobody seems to know anymore who was the inventor of the fountain. It was the Dutch magician MARCONICK.
Check SKS web:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com

TED LESLEY

Hi Ted,

I'm not sure about the Marconick attribution, but Frank Chapman published a silk fountain as part of an entire silk act in a booklet published in 1935, and Slydini was doing the fountain of silks back in the fifties. Slydini has everyone beat for weirdness - part of his gimmick for producing the fountain was a condom! The Chapman and Slydini routines are well worth looking at, and should be available from a good used book source, like John Greget, or Byron Walker, Or H&R (Dick Hatch and Charlie Randall).

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
530 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I have made my own out of the silks that I use for other routines. I would not sew them together unless you plan on doing this in every show and have plenty of silks. I did not want to buy a bunch of silks for one routine and not be able to use them in other tricks. They are very easy to make.
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
As previously stated, the Jay Scott Berry fountain looks great and works really well, I purchased a large batch of silks from the local silk store, this turned out to be very cheap. My only recommendation is, get them to hem the silks for you, I still haven't finished all mine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountains (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL