The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountains (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
schmitty65
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of schmitty65
Jeff McBride shows how to make one in one of the stage videos, it doesn't look hard to make just very tedious.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I must say that the best silk fountain I've ever seen is Yuyi Yammamotos Silk fountain to Peacock blendo. It works great and it is a strong final when you turn the fountain of silks into a large peacock foulard.

Jonas Karlsson
Vibono Magic
Sweden
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I don't think I read any reference to the production of a dove following fountain of silks. I have a silk fountain with self contained dove bag. Dove bag is attached to the folded silk fountain which has a velcro strap holding silks above dove bag. Fountain is folded and dove loaded through the bottom and zipper closed. Upon the last couple of silks unfolding, the dove is exposed to light and quickly flutters to the top of produced silks.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I couldn't make an 18' silk fountain for the price I bought it from from Joe Mogar (the knife guy). As I remember I paid only about $35.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Sean Osiris
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Sean Osiris
Hi Guys, I would like to know how many silks can I produce with Jay Scott Berry silk fountain.
Thanks,
Sean
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I've played around with a silk fountain but never performed it because unless there is some kind of impressive final load, it's really just more of a flourish or a 'pretty', right??
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Profile of Magicjohnathon
The Silk Fountain I purchased on e-bey actually has a great added feature, after the final silk appearance, a bouquet of spring flowers appears atop of the fountain! It's very beautiful, but as Dynamike said the only downfall is having to set it up each time.
It's really a cool effect though! I use it as a final load in my square circle. Smile
"If at first you don't succeed! Than skydiving is definately not for you"!
Magically Johnathon Marshall
Cliff G
View Profile
Loyal user
Madrid - Spain
296 Posts

Profile of Cliff G
I bought Duane Laflin's version. I use it as a finale after a silk production from a hank ball - a routine from Duane Laflin's Kids show video (my motivation for buying one). The effect looks great and with the final load possibility for a jumbo silk it really ends that part of my show off nicely.

Well worth the 5 min max. prep time!

Cliff
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
My first Fountain of Silks was a Marconic version. It was homemade from his published instructions. I used it for years Throught the late 60’s and 70’s) and hated the long set-up procedure. When it got ratty, tattered and yucky I bought a ready made one from the Café’s own Martini (Marty).

It was well made and served me for several years. However, it still had the same set-up problems (time) that the Marconic (and most in Rice’s work). My problem was that because of the set-up time (not an instant reset) I could not do back to back shows. I actually was using three fountains at one time (a homemade, Marty’s and one from Duane Laflin).

I gave up the effect by 1990 simply because of the set-up time. Then I found General Grants.

I believe that General Grant’s set-up is perhaps one of the best. The silks are free and many fall from the hand and float to the floor (or into an upturned parasol) as they are produced. The set-up is almost instantaneous (under a minute)! His is unlike others and original to him. His is also one of the more expensive out there!

Grant produces over 100 silks in his fountain. I think that his silks are 18-inch. I purchased his basic version (25 silks, I think it’s been so long since I first bought it) and added 10 24-inch silks and several different size silks (several nine, 12, 15 and a couple of 36-inch) to produces a load of 50 silks total. Sometimes I sprinkle in metallic confetti if I am on stage and there is no dance number following me (dancers slip on confetti) I timed the preparation just before writing this and it took me a big 45 seconds! Yes that is 50 silks of varying sizes in 45 seconds!

I end the fountain with a production. The production item is NOT loaded into the fountain but stolen under the cover of the silks. If you cannot steal from behind this cover you really need to rethink your career in magic! I have produced livestock (dove, parrot, dwarf rabbit, python, and rooster), but most often I simply produce a bottle of Champaign (in a bar I once produced a quart bottle of beer).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Harry is giving away some very useful info here. Using this method Lucy and I produced the same rabbit twice in the same set once and even the stagehands could not find the second rabbit to put him up. (He doesn't exists. We don't have but one rabbit at a time. And he happens to be a she too!) The cover is great! Please don't try it. We'll have to change our act. You'll like it.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Laflin has a nice $20 DVD solely on the silk fountain that includes everything from how to fold it to care, etc. P&A also has a video including the silk fountain, but it costs $50. Jeff McBride's Stage Magic series includes use of the silk fountain with some nice ideas. Laflin's fountain compresses nicely and comes with a self contained production bag with straps to hold it down and a loop to help in stealing it. It also comes with a holder for a final production of large silk or spring flowers. More than worth the money for me. Laflin uses 13 different 18 inch silks. It is very well made. Available at http://www.laflinmagic.com. If you mention you saw his ad in the Linking Ring you'll get free shipping on this item for a limited time.

One other thing. Jim Rhainho (spelling?) sells a silk fountain which comes with a dove production.
magicbear
View Profile
New user
Bellevue, Washington
66 Posts

Profile of magicbear
Harry,

In your post you wrote:
"I believe that General Grant’s set-up is perhaps one of the best."

So where can we find the Grant version?

By the way, all of your posts are great. In depth, the voice of experience and so informative. Thanks.

Hugh Castell
Bellevue, Washington
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
General’s email is GGMagic@aol.com email him and ask for a price list. Buy his DVD “Making a living stealing –Doves of Course” and see the silk fountain being performed. I defy you to see the steal of the fountain at the beginning or the dove production at the end of the routine.

His silk fountain is unlike the Marconick methodology that everyone else seems to use (most commercial, inexpensive, silk fountains use some modification of the Marconick method).

I warn you that his silk fountain is amongst the most expensive out there. But it does apparently produce 50 18-inch free falling silks. His silks are NOT sewn together and fall free as they blossom into view. I have added to my basic set-up and have over 75 silks in my fountain, several 36-inch, several 27-inch, and a dozen more 18-inch. Add some metallic sparkle glitter/confetti and it is a beautiful and dramatic production.
edcathome
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of edcathome
Martini, in his Europe 2001 Lecture Notes explains how to make the very same Silk Fountain that he allowed Supreme Magic to manufacture and market in the 1970's using 16 silks 18 inches square of various colors. His explanation consists of two typewritten pages and one page of very good illustrations. I think the lecture notes cost about ten dollars.
Peter C.
Member SAM 4
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For those who like the blooming flower effect of the Silk Fountain instead of the silks falling to the floor like Gen Grant and Slydini, you can get a tie tack from the craft store to put through the center of the stack of silks. This is in lieu of sewing. It make it so it is removable to clean and restack the silks.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1415 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I like the tie tack idea wmhegbli. But if you have as many silks as I have, it will not work but I love the idea just the same. I sewed mine together.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
I have the Laflin DVD and really like it. I made my own as he describes using 13 colors.

Harry
Would you tell me what the diameter of a 75 silk, silk fountian is? It must be a hand full.
I still learning how to handle the one I made with 13.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1464 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
There is also an inexpensive and simple silk fountain on my DVDs. It is included in the trick called "Sense of Color" I have used it onstage and close up.
It's hard to beat the ooooohhhhhh aaahhhhh factor of a silk fountain. Well worth the prep.

Scott
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
MrBob102
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
126 Posts

Profile of MrBob102
Quote:
On 2003-05-22 21:27, Paul Chosse wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-10-13 04:16, Ted Lesley wrote:
By the way, nobody seems to know anymore who was the inventor of the fountain. It was the Dutch magician MARCONICK.
Check SKS web:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com

TED LESLEY

Hi Ted,

I'm not sure about the Marconick attribution, but Frank Chapman published a silk fountain as part of an entire silk act in a booklet published in 1935, and Slydini was doing the fountain of silks back in the fifties. Slydini has everyone beat for weirdness - part of his gimmick for producing the fountain was a condom! The Chapman and Slydini routines are well worth looking at, and should be available from a good used book source, like John Greget, or Byron Walker, Or H&R (Dick Hatch and Charlie Randall).

Best, PSC
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Chris, sorry I missed your post and question. My 75 silk, silk fountain is about three inches in diameter and maybe three inches long when loaded and compressed.

It takes less than two seconds to load the thing (only true with a General Grant fountain).

I set it up inside a silk that has a pocket sew in and add that silk to a number that have been used in a Sympathetic Silks routine.

I totally agree with Scott here, you get a good reaction from the presentation of a Silk Fountain! I also agree that he gives away a great version on his DVD.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountains (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL