The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » My 15 minutes. The blockhead Examined (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Airbags. Don't forget airbags.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Harley, there's no need to call names towards Mr. Muggle
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If you'd had an airbag in your handlebar...

well, I shall go no further in public discourse.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2915 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Mr. Muggle,
Though your post was probably well intentioned, it implies an irresponsibility and lack of thought on the part of Jared and the rest of us that do this kind of performance. And that is rather insulting to us. There is nothting "easy to master" about our skill sets. It takes a good deal of effort to learn sideshow material. There is no flail factor in this world, so therefore most of us have a purpose in doing what we do. There is nothing casual about the choice of performing sideshow skills

Find that child that you mention in your post, bring him or her to me and I'll talk to him or her. As you can see from the various responses that your post has inspired, many here (myself included) feel there is no need to live in fear of what some child somewhere might possibly somehow do sometime.

Sideshow has been around for a long time. Much of that time the sideshow has been featured in circuses, carnivals and amusement parks. And who goes to circues, carnivals and amusement parks? Families.

There is far more harm being done by psychic entertainers than by sideshow performers. We don't confuse people as to how the world works. (Oh oh, get ready for the firestorm! Hi, Dave.)

What you get with a good sideshow entertainer is someone that presents reality at its most amazing. They demonstrate that with the right kind of training, risk and danger can be overcome and the results are remarkable. A good sideshow performer expands the audience's perception of what is possible in life and that is a very powerful thing.

When you see someone like Jared, you see first and foremost someone that knows what they are doing. And the message is that not everyone can do this. And that is a good thing.

Todd

Quote:
On 2009-12-07 06:22, Mr. Muggle wrote:
I hate to be the only opposing view in this thread but I have never been a fan of this type of entertainment. While congratulations are in order for your fortune, personally I would not want to take a risk of a child seeing this and trying it in one fashion, form, or another. Any kid can run and grab a hammer and nails out of the garage and later require serious medical attention. All to often TV is a form of babysitting and not monitored as it should be by adults.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
In my experience, children have a better sense of reality testing about this, than most adults.

The ones about whom I'm most concerned, tend to be adolescent males of the species homo sapiens.

Mr. Muggle, you know, if they learned card tricks, they'd probably get paper cuts. Those hurt! And please don't encourage them to walk down the street. They might stub their little toes!

www.bladewalker.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Sure...Take the high road Mr. Robbins...

Good response.

Gwys
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2915 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
When responding to something posted by someone I don't know, I like to see what else they have posted. Mr. Muggle made a post on a thread about Bill Abbott's Chico the Monkey. That routine is a cute bit where a monkey puppet does a magic trick. The arguement could be made that this routine promotes the fantasy that monkeys are a adorable animals the enjoy dressing up in human clothes and doing fun things like card tricks. The reality is that monkeys and apes are not human and can be very dangerous. Therefore, Chico the Chimp sends the wrong message and some child somewhere might sometime see a real monkey, think it will act like that puppet and if they might get hurt. Chico the Chimp should be banned.

By the way, I'm probably not I'm serious about this.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Considering I had my face mauled by a spider monkey when I was three...I am in complete agreement. Chico the chimp must be banned.
Monkeys bad.
G
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I'd be curious to know if by "this type of entertainment", Mr. Muggle meant sideshow, or the television program.

And Todd, please don't stir up the True Believers; I don't have the kind of free time I had last summer!
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
We're primates too. There is no such thing as a sane primate, especially males. That throws a monkey wrench into everything!

www.bladewalker.com
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
Like many, I started as a magician before getting into sideshow. Chico the monkey was one of my favorite effects that I used to perform. See the pattern? Misguided magic tricks like these are just the gateway into "this type of entertainment"

Muggle, I know freedom of speech can be a b*tch sometimes when you don't agree with something. But the notion of taking content off air that could be inappropriate for younger viewers is unreasonable.
I am not without concern for children trying sideshow stunts, if there are a lot of children present at one of my shows I take the extra time to tell them not to try it themselves. I would feel a little uncomfortable if I were involved with a tv show that glamorized this stunt without talking about the dangers. But if you saw any of it, you'd see just how much effort they took to show the dangers involved with the blockhead as well as all the other stunts. Plus its on national geographic, not exactly the first place a kid clicks to on the remote.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 09:42, Kondini wrote:

Yep and bikes should be banned too,,,,kids could fall off of them...

So there.

yeah, or get hit by cars...
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Dear Blockhead lovers,
I am very mad at the block head routine and anybody who performs this stunt. I also protest against any one who makes fun or light of Chico the Chimp. I personally use him in my show and he is a cute little friendly monkey.Back to the reason I am mad at the blockheads.The other night when my cute innocent Chico was watching TV he saw Jared on the tube.The next day when I was not looking he tried the block head stunt.He is fine but got scared when I started to scream since the nail went threw my hand. I think it should be against the law to sell nails to a chimp.

Thank you and good day,
Bernie Balloons
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
And where do you have your nails done? (Interesting way to point them red.)

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2915 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There's usually less traffic on the high road.

Quote:
On 2009-12-07 13:13, gsidhe wrote:
Sure...Take the high road Mr. Robbins...

Good response.

Gwys
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
[quote]On 2009-12-07 20:49, Todd Robbins wrote:
There's usually less traffic on the high road.

[quote]
Wonderful thought. Can I get that on a embroidered? Made into cards?

Just as John Adams said that it is easier to tear down than it is to build up.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 12:33, Todd Robbins wrote:

Though your post was probably well intentioned, it implies an irresponsibility and lack of thought on the part of Jared and the rest of us that do this kind of performance. And that is rather insulting to us. [...]

Thanks for your post on what appears to be an unwelcome and incongruent thought in this thread. My intent wasn't to insult anyone; but make a comment about TV programming and the danger this type of programming could have to children. My intent was to add to the conversation as this is a family forum and many youth read these pages via many sources. I should have expanded on my original comment and never intended to attack anyone's credibility. I do, however, find it interesting so many had such a hard time with my opposing opinion and responded with sarcasm when my post congratulated the success of Jared's act and addressed TV as a babysitting tool. In hindsight, my post could/should have been reworded to further dissect my thoughts and explain I wasn't attacking this form of entertainment; my apologies to anyone who misunderstood and found themselves offended.

Quote:
On 2009-12-07 13:40, Stephon wrote:

I'd be curious to know if by "this type of entertainment", Mr. Muggle meant sideshow, or the television program.

As stated above the comment was directed towards TV.

As to the comments about 'stupid kids', there are stories all over the internet of kids who copy things they see on the internet and TV every day. From dry ice bombs to jumping out of windows as superman, kids don't always understand they can't do as they see. In the last ten years, research papers have increased dramatically on this topic addressing this issue attempting to strengthen public awareness, modernize FCC programming policy, and strengthen advertisement laws. In stating this, I am not suggesting this type of entertainment be removed from any programming format but I am trying to show comments referring to "stupid kids" is irresponsible at best. IMO if a child has access to what appears to be dangerous information, a disclaimer should always be included just to be safe. To each their own.

Hopefully this clears up any mis-understanding - now do me a favor and leave Chico alone would you? He's a lover, not a fighter! =)
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2915 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Thanks for the clarification.

We are a bit touchy about all of this because those of us that do this kind of material are continually bombarded with the "what if some child try this..." kind of comments. That is why most of us DO put a warning in our acts. And I can not think of a single example of a TV show that I have done where there was not some sort of warning about the dangers inherent in trying to duplicate what in shown in the show.

And when presented with ancedotal evidence of someone hurting themselves, it is easy to dismiss the significant numbers of people that witness the performance and didn't try it at home. There are stupid kids out there. There have always been stupid kids out there (even before the age of TV.) And there will always be stupid kids out there. There is nothing to do about them other than present the public with the obvious, that this stuff is dangerous, and then allow them the freedom to make a choice about their actions.

I am glad to read that you do not feel a need to remove our kind of entertainment from public access. It would be a colorless world if we cleansed it of all that is problematic. It would be sad to deprive the very many to try and save the very, very few.

Todd
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 20:37, Bernie Balloons wrote:
Dear Blockhead lovers,
I am very mad at the block head routine and anybody who performs this stunt. I also protest against any one who makes fun or light of Chico the Chimp. I personally use him in my show and he is a cute little friendly monkey.Back to the reason I am mad at the blockheads.The other night when my cute innocent Chico was watching TV he saw Jared on the tube.The next day when I was not looking he tried the block head stunt.He is fine but got scared when I started to scream since the nail went threw my hand. I think it should be against the law to sell nails to a chimp.

Thank you and good day,
Bernie Balloons

Thanks for this...It made my day.
G
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'm sure you'll be glad to see this, Mr. M.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnew......urce=rss

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » My 15 minutes. The blockhead Examined (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL