The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » My 15 minutes. The blockhead Examined (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Over-protection:
This is a good thing when REAL safety to REAL danger is involved. 50 years ago the idea of a seat belt was preposterous. Now the average vehicle has at least 5 seat belts, two front airbags, side curtain bags, front and rear sensors, I could go on. Do you know why all these devices are on modern cars? Because hudreds of thousands of people have DIED in vehicular accidents.

Over-protection:
Where there is a PERCEIVED threat of POTENTIAL danger, this is a real problem. 50 years ago Superman was on TV and yes, I'm sure a few dumb kids jumped out of windows and subsequently were found at the morgue cape and all. I call this Darwinism, and if anyone wants to argue that... answer me if those kids that jumped put of windows would have became physics professors. Erector sets were the rage, complete with tiny chokable swallowed parts and sharp metal edges that later on could rust and cause tetanus. Now a stupid little plastic hamster is on the cutting block due to a small percentage of antimony and chlorine. Today we have this sort of watchdog mentality to make sure they can find danger in anything. Well, of course danger can lurk anywhere... that's why this is called "life", not cushy padded safety. Ban things that are bad? We can see how well that works, just look at the horrible state we're in due to Harry Anslinger and the advent of the DEA. Educate people of the dangers of the world? NOW you're on to something.... let's see how well 2/3 of the world can USE their brains.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Great piece! I have been on ships 17 days a month versus my old 8 days a month. So it is taking me longer to reply. I just watched it on the old DVR and I have to say it was well done. My wife, who has seen me do this stunt many, many times, didn't want to watch it at dinner for some strange reason so we watched some dancing show. But tonight I watched the show by myself and wanted to say Well Done Jared! I guess you should have trained your left nostril to confuse them on some of their theories.

TGN you killed me with the Midler reference. I thought it would be my last laugh of the night. Bette? From you?

Todd. First post WWTD? Second post produced another great laugh. You sir are the diplomat of our little forum.

Bernie Balloons. Have never seen you around these parts but your humor is always welcome by me. You did give me my final laugh!

Mr. Muggle. My father was a police officer for 34 years as well as an avid hunter and gunsmith. I do not own any guns. He always has a loaded pistol on his body and one under his pillow. I was raised to know that if I wanted to see them I could ask and when he got home from work he would unload them and let me check them out. Good parenting. I am always deeply upset when I hear a news story of a child playing with a gun and killing himself or another.

Sideshow performers, at least the ones I know, are family oriented. I have a 17 year old son who grew up with me eating fire and hammering things in my head. I never "played with" a gun and my son has never played with fire or his nose but after I told him about your post he now wants to try a dry ice bomb and to jump out of a window. I'll try to talk him out of it.

If TV is the baby sitter then go Darwin Awards. Lets build a smarter America.

Off to sea tomorrow. Later fellas.

Ted
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
Thanks Ted

I've thought of training my left nostril but thought preserving it would be more interesting for conversation; seemed to work for them Smile Have a nice trip!
MagicMatt12803
View Profile
New user
South Glens Falls, NY
11 Posts

Profile of MagicMatt12803
First off, congratulations to you Jared, for being featured on television. It's a huge stepping stone for many performers and gives you something really cool to talk about.

Second, thanks to all of you for opening up the dialogue on the subject of sideshow stunts. I believe the sideshow has a legitimate place alongside magic, clowning, juggling, and other variety acts. In the past, the circus sideshow played to thousands of people, many of whom were kids, particularly teenage boys I'm sure. I still remember my brother and I attending a sideshow at the county fair years ago when we were teenagers. I sure can't remember what rides they had that year but I never forgot the guy that hammered a nail onto his nose.

I've performed on and off for years and have truly enjoyed every minute of it. Recently I have had the strong desire to begin pursuing a more active performing career. I don't do a ton of shows these days but spend an enormous amount of time daydreaming and creating routines in my head. I find that my dreams often center around the sideshow stunts.

For that reason I am thrilled to see people like Jared take his art and share it with the world of television. It gives the average person an inside view (pun totally intended) of what it takes to perform these stunts. It can be routined to be entertaining, shocking, or educational. Perhaps all three. That is what I want to do. I love what Todd Robbins has to say about the subject with respect to the differences between art and entertainment. It rings a strong chord with me and what I want to do.

Since finding the Café and quietly dining in the corner while observing other patrons I am drawn to those among us that speak wisdom and common sense. It saddens me to see how judgmental so many of the members here are. I'd like to simply offer this observation; be open minded. Try looking at things (not just magic but other art forms and ways of expression) from a different point of view. You never know what you might discover, not only about others but about yourself.

Jared is on the right track. I don't know him personally but hope someday our paths may cross. I am seeking more from the sideshow and stunts associated with it than many. I have sought out appropriate training and am thrilled to have corresponded with people like Todd Robbins and Harley Newman. I feel the same way they do. Although I don't have the skill set to perform these stunts myself, I am confident that with their tutelage I will one day be able to call myself a friend and brother. I think these stunts provide an awesome and unique opportunity to do more than magic, clowning, and the other variety arts can do by themselves. That is to view the world with a child-like curiosity and to question reality. Only then can one truly discover their potential.

Thank you again to everyone for sharing your thoughts. I love the Café for that reason and I'm sure to become a regular patron.

Matt Reynolds
South Glens Falls, NY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » My 15 minutes. The blockhead Examined (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL