The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Brent Brauns variation of the Miller spin pass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shane
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of shane
I just picked this up. If you are not familiar with this move you should check it out. The move is very well taught and easy to do.

http://www.decksliesandvideotape.com/miller-spin-pass/

Shane
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1914 Posts

Profile of iamslow
This looks SWEET!!!
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Quote:
This has always been on of Brent's favorite sleights to read, reread, and read some more. Here is his interpretation of the move. He has eliminated standing the packet up and instead uses his left hand as the cover.

I believe Charlie Miller's original didn't raise the packet and used the left hand for cover. Richard Turner demonstrates it on a video, right around the 35-second mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWnO6cr8Ok
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Traveller,

I appreciate your input, but if you read the Vernon text you will see that not only does he talk about raising the packet, but the photo shows the packet raised. As far as Richards’s variation of the move shown at 35- seconds; it is just that - a variation. He uses his thumb to rotate the packet (instead of the fingers Vernon mentions) in an attempt to enable the left hand to become cover. I believe anyone who watched the clip of Richard would agree that what I am doing looks much more open and clean. Here is a quote from my blog when I first posted this video on Aug 17th:

"So many, many years ago I read about this pass in the Vernon book. It was only a few paragraphs and 2 photos. I was immediately drawn to it, not understanding why. Years later I learned who Charlie Miller was and knew that this shift could be so much more than what I had originally thought it was. In the Vernon description they talk about standing the packets up to cover the move. This seemed silly as it would flash the bottom card and ruin this shift that seemingly had been developed for the card table. I immediately stopped standing the packet up and started searching for another way to cover the move. At some point I was lucky enough to sit down with Howie Schwartzman and talk to him about this shift. When I ask if he could do it for me 2 things struck me. 1 he did not stand the packet up and 2 the shift happened very quickly.

When Howie performed it there was still no cover he tried to rely on the speed to cover the move. I later saw Richard Turner perform the move and he used his thumb to spin the deck instead of the fingers. This added cover but looked overly hidden. I then started to search for a way to cover the move but allow the packets to stay in view."

As an interesting note I should add that I actually agree that Charlie probably did not stand up the packet when performing the move. Having spoken to a lot of people about this shift some of which actually saw Charlie use it, most mentioned that it was written up in the Vernon book incorrectly.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion as to why I am releasing this. People that saw my video emailed me and ask me to release my work on this move. Most also agreed that my variant is one of the best they have seen.

Just my thoughts,
Brent Braun
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
I've read the text.

Like I said, I don't believe Miller stood the packet up during the shift. In fact, being somewhat of a stickler for table procedure, I don't believe he very often stood the deck up after any shuffling or cutting sequence.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Not to add more confusion... just a question... Did Kaps do something similar as well? I could have sworn Kaps did a tabled spin pass but on a forward motion. The reason I am asking is because I can't remember where I saw or read it. I have been doing it for years but vaguely remember my source. For the record... I think Brent's version is much better.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Rannie,
The only other shift I have seen like this was shown to me by a gambler. He called it the toss. I assume it was named as such because it was very similar to a Monte hype that was hidden by your left hand, and done while holding the long side of the deck. He did it fairly well and had a great cover he used with it. If anyone has info on this Kaps thing I would be interested in seeing it performed or knowing more about where it was put in print.
I patiently await more info.

Just my thought,
Brent Braun
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I first saw this on the Fast Company DVD and thought it was cool and definitely a fun shift to practice! I then read the Vernon take and remained interested but wasn't sure I'd use it in a routine and certainly thought it dangerous in real play...... HOWEVER, after downloading Brent's work and having a couple days with cards in hand my opinion has changed DRASTICALLY!

VERY nice adds and nuances man! Very well taught to the point of over kill (in a GOOD way)! EVERY angle is covered, detailed hand position covered (from every angle) and even a section of Brent teaching someone else (in the students hands)! It's like having a mentor going over everything as YOU do it and then having you do it again and again and againnnnnnnnnn! Smile

Instruction, excellent! Video quality, purdy dang good! Price, RIDICULOUS! I drop that much change in the ash tray of my truck on a daily basis! The only reason not to buy this is that you have no desire of adding it to your arsenal!

MMc
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Quote:
On 2009-11-27 16:43, braunmagic wrote:
Rannie,
The only other shift I have seen like this was shown to me by a gambler. He called it the toss. I assume it was named as such because it was very similar to a Monte hype that was hidden by your left hand, and done while holding the long side of the deck. He did it fairly well and had a great cover he used with it. If anyone has info on this Kaps thing I would be interested in seeing it performed or knowing more about where it was put in print.
I patiently await more info.

Bret,

I will make a video for you soon.
Just my thought,
Brent Braun
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
CONTEST TIME: The first 3 people that send me a pic of themselves holding a copy of the Vernon book that contains the original write up for the Charlie Miller Table pass win a free Instant Download featuring my work on this amazing shift as well as two bonus items "Yellow Six" and "The Chair Principle".
HINT: It is not... "Symphony of the Rings"
magic_man_ace
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of magic_man_ace
You perform it well; though, it looks like the old "spin pass" Al Lampkin published in "Cheating at Cards" in the 70's. The fingers were used to initiate the spin and the deck was not tilted at all.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.” - Tom Robbins

"One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” - Robert A. Heinlein
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
568 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Can you go wrong with this? For three bucks a nice move, an excellent instructional video, and two PDF's that cover some neat concepts. Three bucks? C'mon....three bucks???

Hats off gentlemen.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
braunmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of braunmagic
Fingerjack,
Thanks for the order. As far as price goes I know I discussed this in the gambling thread. Here are some qoutes from that thread.

"I am thinking it will cost around $3.87 but I have to figure out the rest of my production cost. Please understand I am in this to get rich not to make friends."

"Fortunately we were able to keep the production cost down. Uncle Charlie agreed to hold the camera for 2 Jamaican lagers instead of the 5 we had originally agreed upon. What does this mean for you? Well you can get the download for $2.87 instead of the original $3.87 we had thought. We could have lowered the price even more but we decided to keep it higher to keep it out of the hands of the mere curious."

So we agree that Three bucks is a lot of money, and since our market research recently discovered that most magicians are poor. We will be running this on sale. That's right order by the end of Jan and save 10% off your order*. That's a whopping $.28 savings, and before you ask of course we are still including the bonus items valued at over $3.17.

Even thought our accountant said it could not be done we are even including free shipping on these instant Downloads.

Please order now with prices this low we expect to sell out of these downloads soon.

Thanks,
Brent Braun

*In order to receive the 10% discount please contact Brent in our Marketing department at brent@decksliesandvideotape.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Brent Brauns variation of the Miller spin pass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL