The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Wholesale Magic Books for Magic Kits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ajsmola
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
35 Posts

Profile of ajsmola
Hey Café,

So I have done quite a bit of research on the Café for this, and also all over the web, and I can't seem to find an answer.

I am putting together my own shrink-wrapped magic set and I am looking to put a magic book inside that teaches several magic tricks, along with the ones coming in the set. Here are the two books I am looking for at wholesale prices:

1.) Royal 101 magic tricks (That might not be the exact name, but I saw someone here on the Café mention about it and how you can find them for pennies each).

or

2.) EZ Magic Tricks (Again, not the exact name, but I saw someone post here on the Café about finding them for cheap).

Does anyone else have any other suggestions, and where specifically I can find them? I have already looked into the D Robbins magic books, and they just look to small and old fashioned for what I would like to put in the set.

Thanks everyone, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

P.S. - I am also looking for BOXES to buy for my magic kits, and does anyone know of a good size to get? The set will include about 7 tricks from D Robbins, along with a magic book, and I'm looking to sell it for $10.00 bucks. Thanks!

Alan
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I've sold 1000's of the D. Robbins books, but I switched to a stock book by C.J. Johnson. You have the rights to the book, and you can customize it with your info. I got 5,000 printed for $1,500. The Robbins book is very old fashioned, has tiny print, and some of the tricks are inappropriate for kids.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Sometimes book stores have some great sales like buy 3 get one free, and even cheaper with discount coupon.
Dennis Michael
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You might want to make them yourself. You will need no more than 20 tricks in the book for kids.

Get a few 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and print the tricks on each page. Make 100 copies of each page. Staple the few pages required to make a book together. Have your personal information on the front and back cover with stock paper.

To save money, you can make the book a smaller size. Kinkos can cut the paper evenly for you.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I would add a proviso to Mike's recommendation. If you're going to go this route, you're going to need a pretty solid desktop-publishing, pre-press skill set, along with the computer and software to do page layout, and manipulate and create images to produce a professional-looking product from scratch. I have such as skill-set, and teach much of it at a small, local college. That being said, I have purchased the Ready-to-Reproduce, Instant Author kits to create books from the originator's works. Why? Because I'd rather spend time working on my act than creating a book from scratch. There's nothing wrong with Mike's approach, but as a practical solution to creating a BOR book, you have to ask yourself if you're a magician or a publication designer.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
ajsmola
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
35 Posts

Profile of ajsmola
Thanks everyone!

I have decided to do a test run of producing 100 magic kits, and I went ahead and purchased the D Robbins magic books to include in them. I have heard that they are old fashioned and small print, but I'm assuming that they still are full of quality magic. Also, for .35 each I couldn't find a better deal since I don't currently have my OWN book to produce.

All together, I think my set will cost a little over 6 dollars to produce, including having everything boxed, labeled, and shrink wrapped. I am planning on selling them after shows for $15.00 each, and ofcourse including a few bonuses and up-sell techniques from the Brad Ross BOR course.

Since this is my first run of magic kits, I'm sure there will be a few changes and improvements, but I'm very excited about all of this. Everyone has been very helpful, and I thank you all for the comments.

Maybe I can upload a picture of the final set if any would be interested?

Thanks!

Alan Smola
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Alan,

I'd be very interested in any advice you can give.

1) Photos - yes please
2) What are you including in your box
3) The source for your boxes
4) What you think of the Brad Ross BOR course

Thanks
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hi Alan,

I will reply to the question about the Brad Ross BOR product. If you are starting out, or even advanced, and you want to sell any product (even non-magic) in a BOR situation Brad takes you step by step. 2 cd's and the DVD, with a small manual, BUT it will save you an amazing amount of time and $$$. It is the best product I have seen out there. There is very little (if anything) held back. I am not sure what the current price is, but in some spots it is still be advertised at $97.00. As he included this full program in his IT factor, I broke down and bought the entire package. (If it has gone up by the time you want to order you may want to look at this option - buying the IT Factor training course)

Blair
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Hi Alan,

I have a little pitch idea for you. The back cover of the D Robbins book is blank. We always tell the audience that we had it made that way so the cast could autograph them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Wholesale Magic Books for Magic Kits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL