The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » NDO vs ShuffleBored vs Sam the Bellhop...which finishing move? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-06 13:14, ddeckmann wrote:
How about ending with ACAAN?

Though it can be brilliant, and little could follow it, I would not use it as a closer to an expanded card set.

I would use it as the last thing I use cards for in an act/show that includes far more than just cards though.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
ddeckmann
View Profile
Loyal user
Paraguay
202 Posts

Profile of ddeckmann
Agree!

sometimes, the only thing I perform with cards is ACAAN.

Last night, I started with my mnemonica, did "4 of a kind" and broke the stack to do some other things... I don't feel any guilty about no breaking the stack with a trick that would break the stack...

I only know ACAAN and "4 of a kind" (tamariz). I'm still working on shufflebored...
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Wow...love the fact that this topic got some new posts! thanks again!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-08 09:41, ddeckmann wrote:
Agree!

sometimes, the only thing I perform with cards is ACAAN.

Last night, I started with my mnemonica, did "4 of a kind" and broke the stack to do some other things... I don't feel any guilty about no breaking the stack with a trick that would break the stack...

I only know ACAAN and "4 of a kind" (tamariz). I'm still working on shufflebored...

I am assuming by "break" the stack, you mean destroying it/loosing the order. Not sure what you mean by not breaking the stak with a trick that WOULD break the stack though.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I like doing the version of shuffleboard that involves having two cards selected as well. I do the shuffles slightly differently, mainly to incorporate the middle packet in the shuffle sequence (which does nothing to alter the outcome) But it's a very strong version of the trick, and it seems absolutely impossible that you could have any knowlege of the cards that the spectator selected.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
Jonathan C
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Jonathan C
NDO is great closer and in many cases unriveled... However I find it a little tedious to get into (I use mnemonica), therefore I usually go for zen master' by Darwin Ortiz.

If I have a table available I'll allow the spectator to riffle shuffle the cards and give them a complete cut before the routine... Then under the guise of memorising the deck I reset the stack with a cull. Although this method deviates from darwins original description, I find it's better suited to my style.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
This is going to be slightly off topic, but I think this is important. The mnemonist asks us about endings for a "card set."

In the real world, working for real spectators, no one is going to impose a requirement on you that your magic has to be all card tricks. You do that to yourself. And if you choose that course... it's fine with me. However, I feel that a "set" of magic is going to entertain more people if you mix up the props you are working with. That said, I have several "closers" that I use. I didn't choose them. My spectators did by reacting strongly to these effects. And, *** few of them are card tricks. That's because really great card magic makes people think. And there's nothing wrong with doing that when you have an intelligent audience in front of you that is sober and willing to use their gray matter a bit. But the average run of the mill audience is not in that head space. They want entertainment that doesn't require them to work. So, if you want to close strong... dig out those sponge bunnies.

In short, if you want your audience to like you, make them laugh... not think.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Thanks for your post Mr.Loomis...great as usual. I understand what you mean. my biggest closer for my stage set is a thumbtie or magic square, for close up and walkaround...bottle production and jumbo coins. maybe I shouldve clarified earlier on what I was looking for as far as some ideas. I was thinking a formal at the table card act, something that would be peformed for a magic castle audience kind of thing.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To the mnemonist,

No problem, I actually did understand, I just wanted to make a point about commercial magic.

If I did want to do an all card set, and assuming that I have a deck in Aronson Stack order at the end, I would do either Simon Aronson's complete three phase poker deal, or just the Draw Poker hand. If I was pretty sure that my audience were not poker players, I would probably end with card to impossible location like signed card to wallet, or card in lemon, orange, or Kiwi.

Ending with the deck in new deck order is very strong... no doubt about it. But, it puts the ending of your show down on the close up mat, and I like to end with something which will allow me to do a big applause cue and draw a good round of applause. Card from wallet allows me to finish standing up, with the wallet in my raised right hand and the signed card in my raised left hand. Tradition applause cue position and you should have little trouble getting a nice big hand.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
the dealer
View Profile
Regular user
las vegas
188 Posts

Profile of the dealer
Wow....very good post Mr.Loomis...you should charge for this kinda teaching...hahah
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
To the menmonist,

Okay, send me what it's worth... oh wait, I don't work that cheap any more.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » NDO vs ShuffleBored vs Sam the Bellhop...which finishing move? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL