The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Acme Portable Hole Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Although you are dirty after the trick, no one will want to check the cards, as long as they have the 'hole' card in their hands, they'll be busy fiddling with that. Just case the deck and you're done.

What I can say I like about this best is that it isn't like a regular card trick. It's so unique in that way - to my knowledge anyway!

To those that are worried about the spectators knowing how it's done, it's best if you perform it in a place where there isn't a direct source of light above you, i.e. directly under the sun, etc. This will allow the all the cards to look the same - those who have this trick will know what I mean.

I've never had a bad reaction to this trick. Period.

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of doiron
I can't quite understand Boat's comments.

I've been doing this trick in restaurants and other walk around situations for a very long time now and it goes over tremendously. I've had people ask to see it again at second visits - so that would seem to indicate I'm fooling them, not me.

I can only assume that the magician Boat saw perform this might not have spent the time on it that was needed before showing it to prospective customers. I've certainly seen sales people "jump the gun" when demo-ing a new effect.

Of course, haven't we all? It's a temptation.

This trick is a nice change from more ordinary card tricks and I recommend it.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
I agree. His argument simply doesn't make sense.

Its a great trick!
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Hi guys...

We all have our own opinions on things. However that opinion is created by what we see and what we hear.

The first time I saw the trick, I knew exactly how it was done. Now, of course, that doesn't mean the lay people know how it's done. But I feel if I can figure it out, so easily, they will too.

As I also said, on this occassion, the laypeople who were seemingly so impressed with the trick left the store. Outside they were talking about how it was done and they were exactly right. So that really doesn't make me want to buy it right away.

So that's how I arrived at my opinion of this effect.
Obviously you guys are performing it all the time so you would have more knowledge of it than I.

But I still wouldn't get it myself.

Best,

Al
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
"But I feel if I can figure it out, so easily, they will too."

Im sure you'll figure out a double lift when you see one, however when I do ambitious card no laymen has recognized my double lift. Your perception and thier perception, by default, is different.

I, was in no way bashing your opinion, just stating that laymen shouldnt find this obvious, at least in my experience.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Layman only find obvious, that which is obvious.

I ain't bashin ya Boat, but just to let you know, maybe you had a bad 'trip' with this trick, that's all. It just so happen that the first encounter you had with this trick wasn't a good one, i.e. the performer didn't do his homework or did a bad job at executing a really good trick - which does happen once in a while, no one is perfect. But for me to ask you to overlook that would be naive, cos I know you now feel turned off by this trick due to that experience.

And you are entitled to that.

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Just make up a good patter and you're ready to go.
It fools all of em'.
Best,
Michael
Tetkom4
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Tetkom4
I got the Acme portable hole as a gift from my girlfriend this past June. It's soooo amazing, that you know how many times I have used it?? 3 TIMES! Excellent investment if you ask me! Honestly, in my opinion, the trick is as cool as a PTA member in Leather Biker Pants and driving a minivan with wood paneling.

Altho I agree with you Logan, I guess it is amazing when you perform it in the dark.
You think that trick was good? you should see what i can do with my...............
pbg739
View Profile
Veteran user
San Jose, Ca
340 Posts

Profile of pbg739
I have had my fair share of purchases that have left me quite disappointed. I attribute some of this to writing great ad copy. I saw this demo, and it wasn't until I saw this at a session I had with my student and another friend of mine that I fell in love with this. Tetkom, perhaps you are just not finding the right venue. Where are you performing? If it's in the local coffeeshop perhaps you should try it in a library, or in a srolling venue. I did it at a retirement home and they aboslutely loved it. Just my 2 cents.

Peace
Pete
Tetkom4
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Tetkom4
In a Library? @#$%, even if I did it in a "School for the Gifted" they'd get the trick while looking for their Blue Kool Aid and Protective Helmets. And your student must be a total packet trick slut if he keeps on breaking out "Great tricks" like that. Does he even know what a Classic Pass is? Or is he just busy doing flustration counts and Elmsley?
Either way, I will reiterate.

The inventor of this trick should be tried and found guilty of being just plain LAME.
You think that trick was good? you should see what i can do with my...............
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
Is a funny trick if suits your pesonality speak about cartoons and bizarre things, but is not a complete killer (The audience understands how the hole disappears).

Darío
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
I agree with you a hundred percent Dario. How could anyone not know how the whole disappears?

However, I'll give the people who like this trick the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe the second part fools some people.
Neoglobin
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Neoglobin
Hi,

They way play this routine, people get fooled badly by the disappearing hole. Why, becuase I don't present it in the fashion maybe some do. Some people think actaully there is a slide on the card that covers it, but when I let them touch it they are gobsmacked.

Its all in presentation. Like they say : A good presentation can turn the 21 card trick into a killer.
Magically Yours,

Neoglobin.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Just bought this, and it went straight into act with great success! this kicks ass
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well from the varied opinions on this on both sides of the coin, it sounds like a crap shoot to me. I was thinking of buying, but now I just don't know who to believe.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I am on the same boat as you daffy itsounds like it would be a pretty great effect but with what people are saying I'm stuck in the middle.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Twilight Zone. that's the name for it.
Boat
View Profile
Loyal user
255 Posts

Profile of Boat
Hey guys. I think the best way to decide on this trick is to go to your local magic shop and watch someone do it live. If you still think it rocks, then get it. If you see what I see then forget it and move on to something that looks half decent.

Best,

Al
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
What sort of patter ideas do you recommend with this trick?
Every one might just want to remember is it is what the spectators think that counts the most.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-12-27 08:37, Boat wrote:

Hey guys. I think the best way to decide on this trick is to go to your local magic shop and watch someone do it live. If you still think it rocks, then get it. If you see what I see then forget it and move on to something that looks half decent.

Best,

Al

Um, Nice advice...except for the fact that I don't have a local magic shop here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Acme Portable Hole Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL