The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are the best tricks to do at a kids show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
What are the best tricks to do at a kids show?
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Take a look here. It has great information on children's shows thanks to Den.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......7&15
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
I have found that cards are not good for anyone that is younger than eight. They don't seem to know which ones are which. That is why big bright and colourful is somtimes best. Coins work well. Now you see it, Now you don't, is a good trick, and maybe a coin matrix.
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The best is of course relative. I tend to shy away from strictly kids magic as it often talks down to or demeans them.

I stick with standard stuff and let my personality and patter engage the kids. I do cut and restored rope (my Karate Routine) sponge balls to square (super in a kids face close up), linking rings, etc. In fact the longer I am in magic the more I look to the classics.

My advice is to start with tricks you like and are comfortable doing, begin to add and weed as necessary.

Look for those happy accidents the place from which so many great lines and routines are born.

Really like kids and your magic will go over.

It isn't the tricks so much as it is you. They either like and identify with you, or you are just a grown up acting stupid.

As for card tricks - six card repeat never fails to go over with any kid old enough to count to six. Smile

Bueno Suarte (Good Luck) and may all your performances be magic.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I agree with Frankft..Just do your favorite magic routines and have fun with the kids. I do pretty much the same magic in my children's show as my adult show, I just change the presentation slightly.

Also, remember that the best tricks for children actively involve them, even if it is something as simple as shouting a magic word.

The children will participate in the show, so plan for it by building participation into your routines as much as possible. You really have to manage their participation or it can get out of hand.

Oh yes...one more thing...nothing beats producing a rabbit!

Jim Snack
http://www.success-in-magic.com
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
unklepaul
View Profile
New user
hemel hempstead, uk
84 Posts

Profile of unklepaul
My favourites from my (new) act are as follows:
Magic colouring book, the kids do love this, and with participation the routine will involve every one of them.

Change bag & silks; classic, colourful magic that looks as beautiful as it plays. Seems like real magic yet easy for all ages to follow with great participation potential. I chuck in a breakaway wand gag for comedy fun.

PomPpom prayer stick: a lovely colourful prop that repays your efforts grandly. Easy to follow, baffles the adults & me! great fun to do.

These are my all time favourites. I also love the cups n balls, but am not yet competent enough to perform this, but am looking forward to the day when I can surprise them with that final load!!!
good luck

Paul

Smile
om mani padme hum
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Axtell's Magic Drawing board and Special fx drawing board are just Fantastic...
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
donsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of donsmagic
I have had great success with Duke's Dye Version. It packs small but plays big. I use two children from the audience. If I'm doing a kids birthday party, I write Happy Birthday (whatever the child's name is)inside the paper tube so that when I unroll it to show it empty there is the message. The kids love it!
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Maybe not very original (but then again, probably these tricks are done a lot for a reason!), I love the colouring book as they can all participate and help to make the trick happen, I love run rabbit run (and other "they see, you don't see" tricks) for you can play along for a nice long time. And useally I have as much fun with it as the kids!), and also I love baking cookies in a dove pan for we can make a mess on stage and all get to taste!

Also I like sponge rabbits or sponge cut into other animals as the kids can relate to it.
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Not to be rude but as you work for the magiccafe I thought you would know about the search function or the sticky topics at the top of the page.

steve
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
Steve,

I do know about the search function. I posted this topic almost 3 years ago. Smile

Shane Wiker
Billy Bo
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of Billy Bo
Holy mother of god I didn't even notice the dates. except my apologies. its amazing how some threads make a late appearance
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1210 Posts

Profile of Michael238
How did this appear from the dark ages?
Someone is pretty good at the search engine!
www.mikebrownmagic.com
<BR>http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=885780636
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
Kids always seem to want to see the Comedy funnel. It's my most asked for routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What are the best tricks to do at a kids show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL