The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Film Canisters (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RodHousley
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of RodHousley
Possibly coin holder. I use small storage cases like that for my coin tricks and miser's dream coins.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Back in the olden days they were made of aluminum. The perfect size for a modified Party Popper (extra confetti, a pinch each of flash cotton and sparkle powder, Replace the cover with flash paper).
Lengthen the string as needed. Put the string through a hole in the bottom and mount the can wherever.
My clown character had a shredded umbrella that produced an instant snowstorm.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16969 Posts

Profile of joseph
I know someone who stores film in his.. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I use one in my closeup case to hold a TT.
Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
I use one to hold groups of small coins.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
The film canister is one of the magician's items of necessity, similar to a wire coat hanger.

The oval ones are best used to hold TTs. I have one screwed to the bottom of my table to steal the preloaded TT when needed.
The circular canisters are great holders for the 1.25" balls for the C&B. I have an extra plain and an extra chopped ball mounted under my table. Simply drill out the bottom of the canister, then carefully cut a channel down it's length to connect the hole to the top rim. This enables the canister to adjust to a small range of diameters and allows you to put a finger into the bottom and slide toward yourself to acquire the ball. The channel will also allow you to use a screw gun to mount it.

The caps can be used as hold outs for small items.
The canisters are great silk pulls. Drill a hole in the cap and use it as a retainer for a silk pull. It can be unloaded with one hand.

There are about a million and one uses for the entire canister. There are also many uses just for the cap. My mentor and I once came up with a list of uses for the film canister in one brainstorming session. Just apply a bit of imagination!
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
In a silk routine I use a number of Palmo balls. In a 1 foot cube, I needed to steal one from the front of the box by draping a silk over the front edge and removing it later in the routine. I found a film canister fits the Palmo balls I had just right. I used some velcro and mounted them inside the box at the top edge.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1652 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2010, joseph wrote:
I know someone who stores film in his.. Smile ...

What is film?
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
I have diabetes and check my blood glucose at least 4x daily. The containers that the strips come in are perfect size for quarters, nickels, dimes, & pennies.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1155 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I use one to keep a stack of .50 cent pieces ready for Misers Dream. They wouldn't fit normally, but I cut out about a quarter inch wide notch vertically from top to bottom. The cap won't fit but I don't need it, I just store it in the bucket with other stuff till I get to the show and set up. You can easily scoop out the coins and maintain a stack.
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
I have no film canisters to check sizes, but might they work well in place of leather cones or dice cups or cylinders for routines like Stack of Quarters/Halves, Leipzig’s Pride, Ramsay’s Cylinder and Coins, or Al Schneider’s Cone and Coin?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Karnak, not they will not work for those purposes.

The late Johnny Thompson has a unique method to make a cone out of a dollar bill on one of his DVDs. Works great for Lipzig's Pride.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1565 Posts

Profile of Ihop
As a photographer I had tons of film canisters. They came in handy for magic. Then came along digital photography. No more film.
I also collect coins. There are coin tubes in various sizes from dime size to Eisenhower dollar.
Try a coin dealer. The tubes are cheap.
Ihor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Film Canisters (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL