The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Guest Lecturing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Hey guys,
Yesterday I visited a college class that a friend of mine teaches. The classs is on occultism and it's expression in art with a focus on performance magic.

I did a ~30 min. bizarre show and a Q&A (not a Q&A act, just a Q&A) on various occult topics.

This was a lot of fun and I would like to do more shows like this. I'm quite knowledgeable on the subject, but have letters of diplomas.
Does anyone have any advice on how would I go about doing lectures of this sort or similar? Or even resources to learn more about this type of performance/lecture/talk/thing.

Thanks
Courntey

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 6:58pm
Doesn't anyone do lecture/shows? Would be willing to give me some thoughts or point me in the right direction?

Even if your not into bizarre, I'm sure he practicals are all basically the same.
Thanks
Courtney
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Seadog93,

I'm looking for help myself in constructing a lecture/show; however, this link may be of some assistance:

How To Give A Magic Lecture

Magic Inc.
http://www.magicinc.net/index.asp?PageAc......odID=609

Walter

Posted: Dec 2, 2009 9:23pm
Seadog93,

George Parker performs similar shows. I sent him an e-mail requesting help in constructing these types of shows, maybe he'll chime in. Would you and others be willing to pay for this information?

His website:
http://www.georgeparker.nl/index.php?id=3851
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Walter,

Thank you for your response. Man George Parker's site looks great. I don't know if "How to give a magic lecture" would work for me, because I'm not interested in doing lectures for magicians per se, as much as lectures for 'lay audiences' that include or are preceded by a show.

I would certainly consider paying for more information, depending on how much it was and the format it came in. I am not, at this point, willing to invest to much because I'm not really thinking in terms of making a lot of money doing it so much as having fun doing at making some extra money along the way.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
That sounds similar to my show http://www.thebadscienceshow.com.

The main piece of advice I can give you is to know what you’re talking about. There are too many educational shows by people who don’t know a *** thing about the subject!
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Nicholas J. Johnson,
yes I agree completely. I've been studying these subjects consistently since I was 12 (17 or so years), so I'm pretty comfortable with that aspect.
I couldn't get to your site through the link you posted. Could you mention what type of locations you talk and how you go about getting bookings.

Thanks Smile

Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Seadog93

"I don't know if "How to give a magic lecture" would work for me, because I'm not interested in doing lectures for magicians per se, as much as lectures for 'lay audiences' that include or are preceded by a show."

The information in "How to give a magic lecture" could possibly be used as a template to construct a lecture- show for a lay audience.

Walter
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Natural Mystic
Ah, thank you again. In that case I think I'll order it this weekend.

Posted: Dec 3, 2009 3:43am
Based on discussion in the bizarre section of the Café, I'm thinking I should have asked a different question at the beginning.

Can anyone tell how I would go about finding out whether or not there would be an interest in the type of lecture/show I would be able to provide?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Guest Lecturing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL