The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pop up Table, by Makmagic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Has anyone purchased this item and able to comment.
Is it a stable table?
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Yes. We sell it and are very pleased with it. It is more sturdy than the other styles of popups, but not as sturdy as a fixed table base.

It will work well for most uses - except for maybe a heavy cups and balls since there is a little more movement than a fixed table.

this table is great for busking and someone needing a mobile closeup setup.

Depending on your needs, you might be better off with a Eureka table or one of the Lefler table bases.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Thank you. Is that material that holds up the table top?
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of iugefu
And I take it there is some restriction on the weight that can be inside the case, whilst in use? Or could one pack a kids show in there? Square Circle, die box, that sort of thing?

thanks Mark for your unbiased views.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21793 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
After studying the photo, I would say this does not have any room for props at all. It is a pop up table, meaning you unlach the lid and pull up. The workings are inside th case and extend in some way.

The top extension flops out for additional table top room.

This is my take on this table. Correct me if I am in error.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
You have some storage space. Its not a lot - you could not fit a square circle in it for example.

A few decks of cards, other small items like that.

the frame that pops up is a metal and wood panel system - its pretty sturdy on holding weight - but the design by nature makes it somewhat swaying to each side - just like the instant magic tables.

This is for highly mobile close up guys - great for production and manipulation guys - you can toss the stuff in the center opening when its setup.

this is NOT for guys that need to beat on a table and use it heavily - for that look at a traditional table top with a Lefler base or a Eureka base. If you do busking and do light card stuff, or just need a ditch box for props, this is good.

Honestly, I prefer a Lefler table base with a $25 tool briefcase from Home Depot on top. Looks great - sturdy - cheaper. We sell the Lefler bases and they are the best out there. Eureka bases would be the second option but Lefler bases are so well made and priced well that to me, there isn't any other option.

The pop up table is nice - its great for specific uses... but at the end of the day, Id rather have a lefler setup... its more diverse.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Looks similar to a type of table Jeff McBride uses. Are his tables custom built for him or are they available to purchase ?
Dave
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21793 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 12:10, dlcmagic wrote:
Looks similar to a type of table Jeff McBride uses. Are his tables custom built for him or are they available to purchase ?
Dave

This has been discussed a number of times on the Café. Again, the table Jeff McBride uses was sold on the market unfinished a number of years ago by a name brand manufacturer, who is not out of business. I could search my years of magic magazines, but being they no longer make them, I see no reason. He had the top and bottom cases put on.

The table without the self containing cases is out of your price range.

Here is the table currently being offered by Daytona Magic, it is similar the one Jeff McBride uses. Without the added case to the top and bottom. Notice the price $295.00 just for the table. You would have to take it to a wood craftsman and have the top and bottom box added as in Jeff McBride's teaching video.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21793 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2009-12-05 19:16, mmreed wrote:
You have some storage space. Its not a lot - you could not fit a square circle in it for example.

A few decks of cards, other small items like that.

the frame that pops up is a metal and wood panel system - its pretty sturdy on holding weight - but the design by nature makes it somewhat swaying to each side - just like the instant magic tables.

This is for highly mobile close up guys - great for production and manipulation guys - you can toss the stuff in the center opening when its setup.

this is NOT for guys that need to beat on a table and use it heavily - for that look at a traditional table top with a Lefler base or a Eureka base. If you do busking and do light card stuff, or just need a ditch box for props, this is good.

Honestly, I prefer a Lefler table base with a $25 tool briefcase from Home Depot on top. Looks great - sturdy - cheaper. We sell the Lefler bases and they are the best out there. Eureka bases would be the second option but Lefler bases are so well made and priced well that to me, there isn't any other option.

The pop up table is nice - its great for specific uses... but at the end of the day, Id rather have a lefler setup... its more diverse.

So the black section in the photo is really an opening? If so what is the depth and size of the opening?

dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 13:37, wmhegbli wrote

The table without the self containing cases is out of your price range.

Here is the table currently being offered by Daytona Magic, it is similar the one Jeff McBride uses. Without the added case to the top and bottom. Notice the price $295.00 just for the table. You would have to take it to a wood craftsman and have the top and bottom box added as in Jeff McBride's teaching video.
[/quote

Bill, 1)I appreciate your concern for my finances but how do you know it is out of my price range?
2) You made reference to a table from Datona Magic. You did not give a link.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Wow,
MMREED Has a great price on the table !!! And free shipping for a limited time !!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21793 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dicmagic, because the foulard with lights was to expensive by your admittance. The table is about the same price.

I did give a link, Daytona Magic, I figured that you would do a search. But have I again done the work for you, maybe I should start changing a fee for being a personal shopper, I hear that is an occupation in large cities. Smile

http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/TAB......PEN.html

dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2009-12-09 20:49, wmhegbli wrote:
Dicmagic, because the foulard with lights was to expensive by your admittance. The table is about the same price. (Quote)

Bill, thinking something is expensive and being able to afford it are two different things. I own many large illusions having paid thousands of dollars for them and find it worth it. A foulard with lights for $300 is in my opinion a bit high.

Quote) I did give a link, Daytona Magic, I figured that you would do a search. But have I again done the work for you, maybe I should start changing a fee for being a personal shopper, I hear that is an occupation in large cities. Smile(Quote)

Bill, I did actually do a search for it and found it. Just giving you a little old fashioned hard time as you often give to others. But I know you mean well inside.
I think being a personal shopper would be a great job for you being you have
4,728 posts !! As always Bill I appreciate your help.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21793 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Dicmagic,
Yes, and these 4,729 post are actual answers to the questions at hand, none of my post are WOW!, I agree, Gosh, that's Great, etc.

They are detailed answers that I hope will actually help the poster solve their dilemma. I don't think many can say that.

Maybe if more people would read my post with a smile on their face, they will not be so negative, and see the words as they are written. I have no agenda but to offer a solution.

dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Bob, You're the best !!
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1452 Posts

Profile of elimagic
This is a very good table. I have it myself. Although I wanted a more sturdy base, so I rebuilt and replaced the whole middle section with sheets of semithick aluminum, The table's base is semi strong, but I wanted something more durable. It is just thin plywood, but with replacing it, which was fairly easy, it is now much much stronger. This is a great ditch table for and close up or stage manipulation act.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Are there table plans available to build our own? This or any other table plans?
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Check out Bill Palmer's post in this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

Also check out Cellini's DVD: "The Are of Street Performing-Volume I."

He gives some ideas including ideas he used over the years. I thought the "suitcase" idea most brilliant!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
Years ago, Hocus Pocus offered a pop up table. When closed, it was a thin, purple case with silver trim and the center support when extended was a crackled finish hour glass shape. Does anybody remember this or know if it's still available?
Zaubern Smile
Magic Alaskan
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Magic Alaskan
Check out this table, it's sturdy and fits in a backpack:

http://magicsax.com/page3/page18/page18.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Pop up Table, by Makmagic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL