The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Phantom of the Wallet by Peter Duffie and Martin Breese (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
The "spirit" cards going on top of the deck after the signed card is lost in the deck doesn't look good ( to me ), but I think the spirit writing part of it could be spooky/entertaining and sets them up for the surprise finish.

I wonder if three is a way around having the blank cards go on top of the deck? Maybe not and that's why they use the spirit writing angle. I'm sure some will say that they will never suspect, but I find lay people very observant and analytical and they do back track things like this.

I think this is an older trick that got re-released. Does anyone use it? I did a Café search but can't find anything.

http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com/vide......DEO1.wmv

Mr. Regal likes the trick. I wonder, if this is an older trick re-released, if Mr. Regal still uses it.

"The minute I saw Phantom of the Wallet I purchased one. What a simply clever solution for Signed Card to Wallet!"
- David Regal

A spectator selects a card, signs his name on it, after which the card is lost back in the deck. He is shown two blank cards. These, you state, are special printing plates that only spirits can write upon. The printing plates are placed inside the leather wallet. After a moment, the spectator removes the plates from the wallet and is amazed to discover the name of his card written on both printing plates. A great trick! But there's more. The performer now calls upon the spirits to teleport the signed card from the pack, across the ether and into the wallet. The zippered compartment in the wallet is slowly opened and the spectator removes the contents - it's his signed selection! A fantastic trick!

* No palming or other difficult sleights.
* Automatically resets.
* You can use any poker deck.

Comes complete with superb special wallet and full illustrated instructions.
~Joe
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Joe, what you need to think about is the fact that the signed card come out of a zippered compartment in the wallet. Having the blanks "kiss" the deck isn't really an issue. By the time you get to the signed card, they will not have remembered the blanks touching the deck. Or if they do, it will seem unimportant in retrospect.

You could also do a nice Bendix Bombshell routine with this wallet.

I might purchase this myself as the wallet looks like it has loads of possibilities. It's been out of stock for a while. Nice to see Martin Breeze it putting it out again.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
Cameron, thank you very much for writing and letting me know how you feel about it as I very much value your opinion.

JM
~Joe
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Wayne Dobson has a nice booklet out concerning several good and easy effects to do with a similar wallet. It looks as though they'd work with this one as well.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1447 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Nothing that a T** P*** or a C** couldn't take care of, if your that concerned with it. I certainly understand where your coming from, however I do not think it would be an issue. The spectators are not expecting the card to appear in the wallet, so placing the cards on the deck momentarily should be ok. Especially, if the card was lost in the center.

I wouldn't do this after an ambitious card routine, because I wouldn't want the spectator to associate the card being on top after being placed into the center of the pack. I would definitely use a little misdirection while the cards kiss the deck. Or even better place them there while you move the wallet, so there is justification to put them there.

I love the bendix bombshell wallet. It is one of my most treasured props. I think the principle is simply outstanding, and clever. I really think that this effect is a clever use of the bendix wallet. I think I will be picking this up. Smile
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1139 Posts

Profile of indomagic
So is it same as Bendix Bomshell wallet ?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6120 Posts

Profile of motown
I liked this effect when I saw it. The one thing I would change is to use 2 cards that are blank on both sides. I think this would be a good routine to use an Heirloom deck because of the spirit writing.

It would be nice to get the routine without the wallet, since I already have one.

I wonder if this is written up in one of Peters books.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Yes, it is a small Bendix Bombshell.
Michael Schwartz
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Michael Schwartz
I just received my Phantom of the Wallet (primarily for himber routines) and have trouble understanding how I would do a no palm card to wallet with it. When I think of a no palm card to wallet, I think of the design and function of the JOL No Palm or JOL Plus wallet, which is not the way the Phantom is made. Unfortunately, the insert that comes with the Phantom does not address this. Can someone please enlighten me. Thx.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Michael, the main routine that come with the wallet IS a no palm card to wallet. It is not a Mullica style wallet and can't be used that way. Have you looked at the main routine?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Michael Schwartz
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Michael Schwartz
D'oh! Cameron, you're absolutely correct. I suppose it would help if I actually read and thought about the complete routine that comes with the wallet. I think I had a completely different handling stuck in my head and wasn't being receptive to this routine.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
Bangkok Thailand
840 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On 2010-02-03 00:20, runawayjag wrote:
Yes, it is a small Bendix Bombshell.
This is a Z type wallet with a zip pocket.

Tony Curtis
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.

Click Here
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Another review can be found here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Carsten
Optimists have more fun.....
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2535 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I really like this routine but wish the wallet was higher quality. Does anyone know of a small bendix bombshell wallet on the market that is high quality? Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Phantom of the Wallet by Peter Duffie and Martin Breese (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL