The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Live "Sam The Bellhop" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Nothing terribly original with me, and of course Bill Malone's approach is the very framework from which I work, but anyway . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDuMbDIocPU
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1630 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Good, but drop the Zarrow until you do it correctly. Maybe look at a strip-out shuffle, I know Doc Eason does it that way.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Lol. Yeah. That what the 400 people cheering for the trick said. "Drop the Zarrow."
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I was actually posting this in order to share the synergistic performance value-from a show I had no idea was being filmed.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
I thought the patter and flow of the trick was very good,and did more than justice to the original!
Only someone who knows the Zarrow would be so picky as to point it out.An average Zarrow will fly past people not in the know.I know full well,because mine is decidedly average,yet I've never been called on it!
Good enjoyable stuff!
I must say though,I've always wanted to see a slow performance of this,rather than a flat out high octane one.I think it could be took to another level with that presentation.
Cheers,Ray.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10786 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Futureal I think only an magician would comment on a shuffle ,a lay person would not even pick this up, I thought Ron did a excellent job and sold the effect.
I tryto watch the routine as a lay person not a magician, as a magician I could pick up flaws by any one including myself. lol
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Watching Bill Malone do Sam the Bellhop was the first time I'd seen the trick and really fell in love with it. I thought you did a great job but I've got to admit .... when the video started, my first thought was ... what happened to all your hair???
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Thanks guys. Like I said, I had no idea the thing was being filmed. This would actually be the third time I had done this, and so I was aware of both the theatrical need to accommodate the spatial gaps by slowing the thing down. I also opted for a more "open" approach to the cards to avoid cluttering--thus, my Zarrow was somewhat compromised for the sake of making the audience work less. You're seeing the direct feed from the camera--the one that was ultimately projected onto the screen.

My Zarrow under fire involves more speed, and the hallmark "crossover" that usually occludes audience view. Notwithstanding, I was very happy to receive the recording. I'm hoping to have one with me doing my own story deck effect, Apologies To Dickens.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Oh, and Rockwall: I had to think about that for a moment. Then I busted out laughing. A little slow on the uptake, I am.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3213 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Ron, it took me a minute to get the hair joke to. Anyway I enjoyed the pacing of your handling of this effect.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Thanks ROn, good thread.
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
WOW! Listen to that audience reaction.

Thank you for sharing that clip with us.
~Joe
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Shuffle issues aside only minor points. Tell that first guy to stop pacing LOL.

Second those mics are really worn way closer to your fact than that. They are designed to be invisible.

Lastly I would change the camera angle and I bet your reactions would be even better. (they were good as it is mind you)

I mean some of the 654 stuff was almost lost on it because of the angle. A bit higher, and problem solved.

As for technical card issues, everyone seemed to like it and the energy was really very nice if you ask me.

OH OH OH and throwing out the deck when you are done? Oh my great touch!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2973 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I enjoyed your performance. Very entertaining as was evident by the crowd. Nice card work as well...especially under fire with the camera and all those people watching. Most would not even attempt it for fear of failure.
Good Job.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Thank you, all. This was the third time I had done this for this show, but the only time it had been filmed. When I first rehearsed it, I must've not been fully engaged, because I kept gaffing it. Gaffing this trick is for me rare in normal performances, but the rehearsal goofs originally drove my blood pessure to stratospheric levels--because there really is no recovery. Although I did dream up one way to do it.

Oh, and pacing: again, when one tries this thing with that many people that far away, the pacing sort of begs itself.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Nice job Ron!

I've of course seen Malone do it and loved it! Rannie Raymundo has his own version that will blow your hair back and keep ya laughing and Curtis Cam did a strolling bit with Jumbo cards at the WMS this year that captivated us all!

I've seen a few other word for word copies of Malones but no comparison to his or the players I've mentioned. I can now include Ron's as one of the few I truly enjoy!

Again Ron, very nice!

MMc
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Ron,
I thought you performed the trick very well! The audience clearly loved it.

My only comments would be to work on the introduction to the trick (aside from the Criss Angel joke... that was good). Seemed like maybe you were winging it a little?

And at the end, give them a smile and a bow! You seemed to be in a rush to exit the stage, and thanked the audience with your back towards them.

Nicely done, though!

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8844 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I have to agree with the Godfather here, Ron you done good. And laymen worldwide would enjoy it and that's what's most important IMHO.

I actually saw Bill Malone do this some years back down in Boca Raton, Florida on a company cruise. Got a chance to sit and talk with him a bit as well and he was something to watch right up close. I still have the poster he gave me from his club there at the hotel and will always remember the good will and encouragement as to my own magic he offered. I think he would like your take on it Ron for sure, offering you the same sorts of encouragements he offered me. Smile

Good job and just keep getting better. -Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
944 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Thanks, guys.
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB
It's funny...one musician would never say to another musician "be careful with your phrasing it is not quite right" or worse yet "give me the guitar and let me show you how I play it" But magicians disrespect each other like this all the time.

Ron got out there in front of 400 people and did an excellent Sam The Bellhop. I would venture to say better than 75% of the people on this forum. If anyone wants to offer him some tips or advice do it in a PM.

I loved it Ron.
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Live "Sam The Bellhop" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL