The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Liquify by Bill Abbott and Richard Sanders (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Seems a good trick ...
drezmagic
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of drezmagic
Quote:

Interesting question. A possible answer is that the dvd doesn't come with a gaff, all it does is give you information. Once you have the info you can get rid of the dvd and still do the trick. So, discussions of ethics aside, you could purchase it and offload it and still be able to perform the effect.

Hmm... I like the way this looks and sounds. Do you need to build some sort of gaff? (as in, will I have to take a trip to some store to make this?) or is it barely anything to make at all?

Thanks
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-01-05 16:10, drezmagic wrote:
Quote:

Interesting question. A possible answer is that the dvd doesn't come with a gaff, all it does is give you information. Once you have the info you can get rid of the dvd and still do the trick. So, discussions of ethics aside, you could purchase it and offload it and still be able to perform the effect.

Hmm... I like the way this looks and sounds. Do you need to build some sort of gaff? (as in, will I have to take a trip to some store to make this?) or is it barely anything to make at all?

Thanks

There are two methods offered. The first you'll need something that comes ready made from virtually any convenience store (you probably already have one). For the second method you'll need even less (and you FOR SURE already have it).

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This was a great teaming of two creative minds ( Richard and Bill ). They have two hits right out of the gate with Liquify and Powerball 60.

I'm very much looking forward to more releases from them in the future!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-01-04 07:33, eddierush wrote:
Hello Magi,

Here's my Liquify idea:

I ask a person, "do you believe that words can come alive? Yes? Great! I wanna try a little experiment to see if we can make that come true." I open my bag and take out a few of books (two novels and a notepad). I put the notepad aside and ask them to choose one of the books. I hand them the book and ask them to riffle through the book and tell me how many pages are within. I ask two other spectators to each choose a single digit number. The resulting number is the page the first spectator will turn to. Now I address the first spectator, "Now, let's keep it a little simple this first time. Could you please look at and remember either the first OR last word on that page? Got it? Good! Now close the book and concentrate on that word. As you concentrate on the word you may begin to see the word in places you never thought to see it." If I'm outside, "Take a look at the clouds in the sky. Can you see your word in the clouds? No?" If I'm inside, "Look at the painting(s) over there. Can you see your word rendered in the painting? No?" Either way I then say, "Here, take a look in the water. Can you see your word in the water? No? That's alright. It doesn't always work the first time for most. We may need to use something a bit more concrete."

I look around for something and I find my notepad off to the side. I open the notepad and rip out a blank page. I then rip the paper in half and casually give them one of the halves. I then say, "I'd like to use this piece of paper and this water for our experiment. Because water is life I believe that we can use these two to help make your word come alive." I them instruct them to continue concentrating on the word and slowly place the paper in the water. If I'm inside I find some water and ask them to sprinkle the water on the paper.

I've performed this effect twice already. I'm looking to create a demo video (without revelation) to share with the community. It's definitely a part of my close-up, impromptu street, and parlor routine. I'm trying to reconstruct this routine so I can use it on stage - Using a large flip pad - spectator chooses flip pad page to rip out - light illuminates page from behind - water pistol to spray water onto page. It's still under construction though.

Please let me know what you think. I am always looking for ways to improve.

Thanks

Hey Eddie,

First, thanks for sharing. It's an interesting idea and a good tag line: "bringing he words to life". Have you seen the Disney film "The Pagemaster"? If not I recommend checking it out- you may get some good ideas from it.

So, a couple of thoughts.

First, I think it's always a good idea to remember the following rule: everything always adds or subtracts from a performance- there are no neutrals. So, when you ask someone to check how many pages in a book, something that has nothing to do with the routine, it doesn't add anything. And, if it doesn't add (and there are no neutrals), it subtracts. I would check the routine for little moments you might think about cutting to make the effect faster and stronger.

Second, I hate promising something and then delivering some not as strong. When you ask them to check for their word in the cloud its offering an amazing promise- that you might see your thought of word/image appear in the sky! Then, when you make it appear on paper, it feels anti-climactic. I think that's why having them send a thought into water is a nice idea, because a) it doesn't promise anything, b) it justifies the use of the water and c) it doesn't fail to deliver any promises.

That being said, here's what I'd love to see (not that you should care, lol): I'd love to see you choose two specific books that you could tie the routine to. WHY does their image appear on a piece of paper after you pour water on it? The choice of books could explain it while at the same time giving the trick a nice frame.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Ben

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I was thinking about an idea of using a blank sheet of paper and asking what the person sees. Hopefully they will answer nothing, being that there is nothing on it. I will ask them to examine it to make sure nothing is on it. Are you sure nothing is there? They will reply yes. Then I would say, This is what non believers see when looking at a bible. Even though the bible has words in it, it might as well be blank because they see nothing in it.

But, when we are baptized with water and the Holy Spirit, God removes the veil and we begin to see that there is something. Then the words, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." appear.

This is my rough idea of a gospel presentation for it, I'd had to fine tune it, but would this work using Liquify? Can it be done with several words at once?
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Quote:
On 2010-01-07 23:23, Gospel Dan wrote:
I was thinking about an idea of using a blank sheet of paper and asking what the person sees. Hopefully they will answer nothing, being that there is nothing on it. I will ask them to examine it to make sure nothing is on it. Are you sure nothing is there? They will reply yes. Then I would say, This is what non believers see when looking at a bible. Even though the bible has words in it, it might as well be blank because they see nothing in it.

But, when we are baptized with water and the Holy Spirit, God removes the veil and we begin to see that there is something. Then the words, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." appear.

This is my rough idea of a gospel presentation for it, I'd had to fine tune it, but would this work using Liquify? Can it be done with several words at once?

Yes it does work but you would need a big bowl to dip the entire piece of paper on it to get the words appear. But yeah it could work!
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Thanks Rpascual.

I think I will do better if I use a napkin or something that seems more impromptu, then do a b$%o switch to eliminate the suspicion of the paper being prepared before hand.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Gospel,

three things.

1. Yes, it would work fine. They could examine the sheet, see NOTHING, and then when you "baptize" the paper.

2. I wonder if it might be more "magical" if you forced something first (a word or object) and then through the pathway to God (baptized) the truth becomes revealed (or an actual biblical/gospel reference). If you don't like that then your idea is great.

3. I wonder if there's some tie in you could do with light and/or fire. Not sure if that trivializes your message...

Ben

Jack Poulin
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
186 Posts

Profile of Jack Poulin
Is it on the market right now?
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2010-01-09 10:55, Jack Poulin wrote:
Is it on the market right now?

It is!

head to Automaticmystery.com and check it out!

Ben

Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2010-01-08 16:43, Ben Train wrote:
Gospel,

three things.

1. Yes, it would work fine. They could examine the sheet, see NOTHING, and then when you "baptize" the paper.

2. I wonder if it might be more "magical" if you forced something first (a word or object) and then through the pathway to God (baptized) the truth becomes revealed (or an actual biblical/gospel reference). If you don't like that then your idea is great.

3. I wonder if there's some tie in you could do with light and/or fire. Not sure if that trivializes your message...

Ben

Thanks Ben for your great insightful input. I will keep working on the routine but in the meantime I have to make my purchase. The possibilities for routines and presentations are endless, which makes Liquify a fantastic trick. No one will be stuck with just having one or two routines for it. I also love reading all your suggestions, as it is clear that you not only have a mind for creative thought, but a true love for the art of magic.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Thanks Dan- I really appreciate the kind words.

I like discussing Liquify because, besides being a great piece of magic, it has a lot of potential for unique presentations. All you have to do is get the item and you'll have at your disposal the ability to contribute.

I'd love to see what people are doing with this thing.

Best,
Ben

discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
How about using Banacheck's "Letters of a Word" and using this to reveal the word? Regardless of how the word is forced, it still makes for a nice visual and tosses in some great mentalism.
Gimpdiggity
View Profile
New user
Jackson, Michigan
13 Posts

Profile of Gimpdiggity
Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I actually had to sign up for Comcast e-mail because the Café wouldn't let me use a Gmail account even after I contacted the administration. A bit of a hassle...hopefully it will be worth it.

Anyways...I have what I think would be a good idea for an effect with Liquify, if I could ever get the gaff to set up correctly. Ben Train, if you read this please check your e-mail that you have listed in your signature, I sent you a message there to try and get your advice on something regarding this effect.

Anyways, here's my idea for what I would like to do, it involves the Liquify method, obviously a cup of water, a candle, a deck of cards, and a wiregram.

I call the routine "Fire and Water."

Patter goes something like this...
"Did you know that fire and water are two of the most powerful forces in nature?? Both have been instrumental in forming the world as we know it today. But did you know that each of them can be used to harness a thought and transmit it to another object??

What we have here is an ordinary piece of paper and a piece of wire. [I actually have a vase with several flowers in it for the effect. The wire is wrapped around the flowers seemingly to keep them in a certain order. I take it off of that as I'm going through the patter. The paper is actually sitting UNDER the vase, like a coaster almost. I also take that from there when I mention these. That way it seems that both of these items are effectively impromptu, but obviously aren't] Here go ahead and check both of them out.

Now, Jim, I want to know...which of these two elements of nature intrigues you more?? The fire or the water?? Okay, the fire. Jane, I guess that leaves water for you. [This patter is in there so that they feel that they are getting more of a choice...but what I'm doing is figuring out which card I'm going to force on which individual. Jim chose fire so he'll get the card that matches the wiregram, Jane was left with water so she'll get the one that matches liquify]

Now what I'm going to do is to have you, Jim, select a card. Please tell me when to stop (or do whatever other force you would like). Do you have your card?? Go ahead and leave it face down on the table here. Now, Jane, your turn. Please tell me when to stop (again do whatever force you would like). You now have your card. Jane, you can go ahead and put your card face down on the table as well.

Now Jane, you were left with water...so what I would like you to do is touch one of the objects on the table, the paper or the wire...[simple magicians force, whichever one she touches she ends up getting the piece of paper] Jim, that means that you'll get the wire.

Jim, what I would like you to do, if you are comfortable, is to hold onto this candle. Okay? Alright. Now, what I want you to do is to focus your thoughts. Clear your head of everything EXCEPT for two things...one being the fire, and the other being the card that you thought of. Alright, are you focused in??

[as Jim says yes I begin to put the wiregram to work]

Alright...I told you the fire could do fantastic things if you put your mind to it!! Now Jane, you've been sitting there watching this and must be thinking that there's no way the water could be as impressive. Well, what I want you to do is to focus your thought INTO that cup of water. Just like Jim focused on the fire and his thought, just focus on the water and your card. Have you done it?? Okay, now, go ahead and dip your piece of paper entirely into the water...very good, now take it out...

Now you've seen first hand just one of the amazing things that these two powerful forces of nature, Fire and Water, can do...

It's a work in progress, and I haven't been able to actually perform it yet because of some technical difficulties (i.e. me being a bit slow) with making the gaffs. Hopefully I can get it all worked out in the end.
Ruben Padilla
View Profile
Loyal user
Narrative Strategist
206 Posts

Profile of Ruben Padilla
Nice work, Gimpdiggity. A very practical melding of two strong effects. Thanks for sharing.
magicpatoche
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of magicpatoche
Hi guys, I have a problem finding the right thing to do the thing. It not clear for me on the DVD what type of thing I need to get. Anyone can help?
Thanks in advance
P
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
P,

I can help. Send me a PM or shoot me an email at billabbott@sympatico.ca
Let me know what you are unclear about.

Cheers
Bill
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
After reading this thread I think the most unused gem is the pdf of receipt you get access to. This to me makes it a 100% portable and can do anytime. I make 50 at a time, doesn't take long at all as I use the quick method which is perfect for them.

The way I explain everything is after the force I tell them I need a piece of paper and pat my pockets and say wait here I have a receipt.... this is such a natural thing to have on you no one has ever even blinked at me.

I then tell them I want to see how powerful there imagination is but well need a conductor to help with the process. (of course this presentation if for when a glass of water is around...resturaunt, places that have patio tables and such and so forth)
I say "Water is a perfect conductor so hold the glass of water and I want you to really imagine the image and look into the glass and the slowly dip the paper in the water and hopefully we'll catch something."

They do.... and

Bam! They're jaws drop.

In the other thread someone mention they cant see themselves dipping paper into someones water... that's kinda the whole point you don't! They do it! Which they not going to care cause theyre doing it and the experience they got out of it is sooo worth it!

The great thing about this is I feel it easy to come up with different set up depending on any situation. Doing on the street I always carry a water bottle as of course it if I busking it nice outside. This is also such a natural thing to have and mixed with the receipt you really give that gritty street magic feel to your spectator.

For me this was automatically added to my tinkle trunk!

Thanks for the wicked effect!
rottenmagic
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of rottenmagic
Good effect. Very simple and quick to set up. Thanks richard and bill. By the way, you guys should check out richard and bill's other material. It's gold. Really like sanders' visi-bill as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Liquify by Bill Abbott and Richard Sanders (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL