The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Performing in Hospitals (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
Hiya gang.

I've been considering performing in hospitals to cheer up sick children/the elderly.

Does anyone currently do this? And if so, any tips/recommendations on, well, on anything? Tricks, attitude, who to contact to arrange such a thing?

Seems like something I could get personal enjoyment out of, as well as providing me with valuable performing experience.
JohnCollier
View Profile
New user
John Collier
49 Posts

Profile of JohnCollier
I have been considering this also. I asked a friend who works at a hospital to check into this for me. He said they would absolutely love any help they can get. Talk to the head of the volunteer department to get this rolling.
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
One tip, no sponge magic.

A friend of mine would do magic at hospitals, and the nurses look at everything you perform with. As soon as the sponge balls came out, the faces of the nurses looked like he just pulled out a jar of ebola.

Sponges are huge germ carriers, so cross that one off the list.
Nando
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
74 Posts

Profile of Nando
Zip on over to the "Magic of Healing" page: http://www.magictherapy.com. This is an organization dedicated to entertaining sick children.

Also, contact your local I.B.M. ring. Many are involved in the same. My ring does a monthly gig at the children's hospital, but because of an organ transplant, I can't participate.

What I can remeber about the performances are: No balloons (latex allergies), no animals (obviously), no flames, and have something simple and fun to touch them.

Hope this helps,
Nando
The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity.
-Robert Anthony
Hayze
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
83 Posts

Profile of Hayze
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to have to spend a good amount of time browsing magictherapy.com, very interesting site.
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
Hi Hayze,

I performed at the children's hospital in our city every Tuesday night for about two years and had absolutely the best time doing it. Most of the kids love any kind of distraction, especially if it's something besides video games and movies, they actually do get tired of those.

This hospital has a staff of several people just to coordinate the volunteers that show up. So getting in was no big deal, I just made an appointment with the person in charge and told her what I intended to do. Trust me, you won't be the first one to do this, so as long as there isn't someone already doing magic there, you've probably got the gig.

I went in once a week after dinner and walked around the rooms that I could enter. They have codes and stuff on the doors to let you know if it's an isolation room or not. You have to skip those. They are really good about telling you where you should and shouldn't go. They will know which kids could use a little extra attention.

You actually can do sponge balls and they are a big hit. After leaving each room, you have to wash your hands and I just squeezed a little of their special soap onto the balls and squeezed them dry—it only took a minute—and you're not in any rush or anything. The only thing they don't allow is balloons.

Also, be ready to do little parlour type shows either in the game room, sometimes it's easier to wheel everybody to one room, or sometimes like the whole extended family is in the kids room eager for any distraction. If the staff knows you'll be there on a certain night they will even promote you to the family, so they'll know you are coming (at least that's what happened to me).

All and all it was a great experience and I got a lot of working time with certain routines.

Highly recommended. Good luck.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Hayze,

Good for you for wanting to take part in a most notable project. Hospital shows are always a favorite of mine. A suggestion would be to contact the volunteer service of the hospital or co-ordinator of special events.

They will usually sit you down and make sure that above all you will be able to "handle" being in a hospital setting. Unlike TV movies that always glamourize illnesses, in real life it can be unnverving to some (kids with tubes running through their bodies, connected to machines, drooling, etc). Not at all trying to turn you off, just letting you know what you may possibily expect.

Effects that are very bright and colorful work well with the elderly due to failing eyesight. Cards are a bit difficult for them, same with the kids. Involve them by allowing them to blow or tap on an item if they have limited speech. You have involved them and the smiles you receive are priceless.

Good luck and I would be interested to know how it worked out for you. Smile
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
247 Posts

Profile of gocall911
I preformed for kids with cancer for about two years. They loved ever bit of it. Just be happy (even when it's hard to be). Also have fun, if you're having fun then so will the kids!
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
brainman
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of brainman
I do this job three times a week since eight years ago. I am a member of the Rote Nasen Clowndoctors: http://www.rotenasen.at/

I also know Michael Christiansen, founder of the Big Apple Circus Clown Care Unit, and know how much work it is. Achieve the aim of making sick children laugh or follow your actions with pleasure.

In the years I also met many of so-called "professionals" who had absolutely no idea of handling sick children.

You definitely do need other qualities (health, psychology, medicine, communication...) than only performing some "tricks" or do balloons (???). (I know cases in Germany where latex allergies or the swallowing of those rubber animals had very bad consequences.)

So many things to think about.

We always visit the children (from cancer to heavily psychological damages) as a team of two persons.

Also, we have many workshops over the years to learn and learn and learn. There are many very good clowning teachers out there but you must find them.

My favorite teacher is Lassaad Saidi, also teacher in the famous Jaques le Coque School.

Hope this helps.

Best,
P
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I have only been able to go work in our hospital once. The people at the hospital thought it was too disruptive. My clown group had permission and we all have years of experience. It is just the people at this hospital want things their way every day. Keeping the kids happy interferes with that daily routine. I plan on leaving here in the next couple of months and will try again there.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Quote:
On 2003-06-22 07:14, brainman wrote:
I do this job three times a week since eight years ago.
Smile It's people like you that made me want to get into magic, so I could give people joy while doing what I enjoy doing. Smile
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I would make very sure the kids and families want to see you perform. My sister was in the hospital a year and a half ago and we were in no mood for vistors. I'm sure the nursing staff will tell you which rooms to stay away from.

I would be prepared to be told to leave if the families aren't in the mood. I would probably prefer to perform in a large room, that way people could come if they wanted to. Or have the nurses ask if the people want to see a magician and then have a list of room numbers for you to go to.
Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Teaching a kid certain rope tricks will be good for those who need physical therapy.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Great topic. I am a nurse and do magic for my patients all the time. Much of the time, people will want to see magic, and are happy for the distraction.

Some points to remember:
  • Make sure you treat the patients as people, not as illnesses.

• Don't talk down or slowly to them. They are not stupid, just sick or injured.

• No blue humor, sarcasm, or obscure references. Keep it clean and direct.

• Don't forget to play to the families and visitors of the patients too! They are in this predicament as well, and could use the diversion. Also, you can use visitors as your volunteers if the patient is unable to perform with you. The patients love to see their loved ones partake in the show and get magic "done to them"!

• Think about what you will do during all of the interruptions (and there will be many, because there is usually a full agenda that the nurses and others have to adhere to).

• Sponge balls are fine, as is Professor's Nightmare, as is two in hand, one in pocket.

• No latex balloons, and nothing that has to go in your mouth or anyone else's.

• No fire, nothing sharp, no loud pops, bangs, alarms, whistles, buzzers, yelling, or anything that will make the staff think that something is wrong and come running.

• Other things that are good are card tricks that are easy to follow, all done in your hands (i.e. Color Monte). I do Die-Cipher II at times as well. Crazy Man's Handcuffs, Invisible Deck, and Vanishing a Silk are all great.

• Wash your hands as often as you can. No one has ever been told at a hospital that they are washing their hands too much. Wash them before, and after performance. You may even need to wash them during if you go from room to room or patient to patient in any way. A small bottle of Purell Hand Sanitizer in your pocket will endear you to the nurses (a.k.a. The Hygiene Brigade). Use it. A lot.
A good resource for therapeutic magic is a book called:

Applied Magic: A Beginner's Magic Book With Practical Applications For Therapists, Teachers, And Parents

Author: Kett, Michael; Illustrator Kett, Nancy; Illustrator: Kett, Nancy
Paperback
Published: December 2000
Xlibris Corporation
ISBN: 0738838268

Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss hospital magic further. I am as comfortable in a hospital as I am at home, so maybe I can help a little bit if you feel unsure or have any questions.

Best of Luck,
Nurse Jay Smile
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Great topic.

Here is another link about specific card tricks that could be used to entertain children in the hospital setting. There are also some additional tips about this overall topic.

Someone also noted that an ideal card effect for this setting would be the use of a mental photography deck. If you don't have your own routine, then Bill Malone's On the Loose Volume 3 patter, etc. is excellent. It's simple, very visual and looks like real magic. It can play to a crowd or to an individual in a strolling situation.

Mike
Illusions4Life
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
128 Posts

Profile of Illusions4Life
Great topic everyone, I am a respiratory therapist and I find that young children for some strange reason hate us respiratory guys. I have used magic many times to ease the tension with these kids to the envy of my fellow therapists. Many times the parents request me again because their children have so much fun with me.

I agree with Jay do not talk down to them or act as if they do not understand what is going on. Also I agree with washing your hands if not for your own well being as for the next person you go see.

Have fun and make some sick and hurt kids smile, many of them need it.

Jim
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Doesn't the IBM have something called, IIRC, Project Magic which does magic as therapy programs?

I seem to recall reading about it in Linking Ring Magazine, but I'm not at home and can't check.

You might want to check with them about the program and see if they have any materials that might help.

I did magic for about four years at Mott Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor, MI, for terminal kids back in the late 70's. Very rewarding, but the aftermath, sitting in the car crying because you know those kids aren't going to be with us for too long, is really tough.

On a positive note, I ran into one of the kids from there a couple of weeks ago in Chicago. He made it and is an amateur magician!

Even one of those meetings makes it all the more worthwhile!

Go for it!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Silvester
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Silvester
Thanks for the good advice of everyone! I also thought about hospital magic but I think you have to have a huge repertoire of tricks in your pockets? Otherwise these people who are ill longer, will see some tricks twice.
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Quote:
I also thought about hospital magic but I think you have to have a huge repertoire of tricks in your pockets? Otherwise these people who are ill longer, will see some tricks twice.

Silvester,

That's an interesting thought, but truth be told, most ill or injured people would gladly watch the same trick 20 times in a row, just to distract themselves for a little while. I have found that bed-bound and less-than-well people are great audiences no matter what you do (or don't do). Just be natural and it will be fine!

Jay Smile
Silvester
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Silvester
Good point Jay. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Performing in Hospitals (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL