The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » On What Magic is (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
As magicians we often get hung up on searching for what magic is.

For me it's when your 8 year old son is more excited about his father performing for his school On December 22nd than he is about Christmas.
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
ldrosenblum
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
103 Posts

Profile of ldrosenblum
Beautifully stated. As a father of an 8 year old myself, I can fully understand that type of magic. Have a great show.
Check out my new book on our 'perceptual superpowers': www.LawrenceRosenblum.com . It discusses new research on the psychology of misdirection and the neuroplasticity behind expert motor skills.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many people who came to our home used to use the word 'magical' about the way we have restored this old place, the way we do hospice care, the way my wife plays music and just the way that interesting things seem to happen when we are near.

Now that they know I am a performing magician they don't use the word any more, as if I have taken some of their "sense of magic" away by reducing it to a series of pretended effects. I can still see it in their eyes, but now they do not share their thoughts.

Are magicians the Grinch who stole magic?

now, instead of sharing an event of awe and wonder as before, they want to describe some crummy card trick they saw their nephew mess up and don't even explore what kind of effects I do. I am now "one of those" and some of the spirit is gone. Worst of all, they now want me to teach their nephew how to do it right for free. Bah Humbug!

You have a chance to show them what magic can be -- go for it!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy and I live on Magic Valley Ranch. There are unicorns in the pastures!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Thanks gentlemen

Why it's all about the presentation, building bridges, creating an experience
and I'm not a magician per see, I'm an entertainer, an artist who's medium is illusion. IF it all comes together just right .... then we have magic

Bob Sanders - what do you do with the unicorn poop?
I've heard there is a big market for it
Illusions By Vick
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
"Magic happens when you think something, and whatever you think happens"

Unicorn poop? Ha ha....
I thought that's what you need to apply on your hands to do a colour change
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Magic happens in the minds of the audience, AFTER it occurs in the mind of the performer. You have to believe it yourself before you can offer it to someone else.

BUT, it does take something physical to help it along. A trick, or flourish, or sometimes just the sound of a voice leading the mind to a place it never noticed before.

Without that sense of contact to the physical, it’s just a daydream, and while reverie is enjoyable and can actually have some real life benefits, it just doesn’t do what Magic does.

(I remember flipping channels one night and stopping on one of those shows where the husbands/wives trade places with another family. I watched for a few minutes as this self-proclaimed “witch” sat on a sofa holding a broom across her lap, as she tried to “think” herself into flight. It was very sad, really.)

Lucid Dreaming and Self-Hypnosis not withstanding, Magic occurs at the exact point of intersection between the physical and the intellectual. It is both tangible and ethereal at the same instant. And yes, it happens best in the heart of a child (at any age).

Last night before supper, I brought out two decks of cards and showed my family “Do As I Do”. While it’s so simple as to be (almost) self-working, my wife was convinced I’d used marked cards. My nine year old had the truth, “It‘s Magic!”

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 3:33pm
Just thought of something funsway will appreciate.

A few months ago, I was helping my nine year old deal with his anger about something that had happened on the playground.

Using some techniques that many here will know, after some “deep cleansing breaths”, I had him visualize an orange, first the shape, then color, then texture, and so forth, and finally the smell to hold it in his mind.

While we were working, my wife came into the room and asked if someone was eating an orange.

Well, in a sense…
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You bet -- and if you had produced an orange at that moment it might destroy the magical moment for your son and wife, but for different reasons. They will remember the event and file it away with "unexplained things" to be called forth when something else happens that they might consider magical. As magicians, we attempt to call up those 'warm fuzzies' by artificial means -- and often succeed -- not becasue we are so wonderful, but because the spectator wants them ot be called up to offset the boredom of everyday existence. Vick can set memories this month that will last a lifetime. I just worry about those kids who never see a live performance -- or ever read a book, for that matter. Where will they develope the imagination that will allow magic to happen?

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 7:29pm

A true magical story

Last year about this time I was shopping in a hardware store that also carried strange gift items. One was a nice wooden bathtub caddy with a rustic homemade look. It was priced at $23.00 marked down from $25.00. A young couple that I guessed to be newlyweds were discussing it, then counted out their bills and change, searching every pocket and purse fold. $21.47 “So close, he said – and then there is sales tax.” She sadly put the item back.

I walked up front to the only clerk and said, “In a few minutes that nice couple is going to bring an item up that is priced at $23.00. I know that it has been back there for several months. They could really use it for Christmas. I want you to tell them the price has been reduced, and that the actual price is $19.79. She looked at me strangely, pursed her lips, smiled and said, “OK – but why that silly price?” I showed her how to calculate the reciprocal of $21.47 at 8.5% sales tax. “That’s magic,” she laughed. “Will it work with any number?” She was greatly pleased at her new secret and couldn’t wait to tell the owner.

Then I went back to the couple and said, “I know that you really want that wooden caddy. Take it up front to that cute girl and ask if she has a special price for a housewarming gift.” The girl blushed and whispered, “It’s a magical time of year, why not?” And up they went carrying their prize. I couldn’t hear what they said, but the cashier loudly announced. “I can let you have it for $19.79.” The girl clapped her hands, but the guy said, “Well there is the tax.” Click, click, ding and $21.47 appeared in the glass window of the old register.

I was headed out the door by then, but the silence was deafening. My wife met me by the car. “Now what did you do,” she asked. She’s kinda psychic that way.

So, what’s that have to do with performance magic – “our magic?” Years of performing has given me the confidence to do such things and the presence to get my way. I also know that people want magic to happen in their lives if you give it a chance. It isn't all about tricks, you know.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Good stuff funsway, thanks for sharing. Great story about the Bathtub Caddy

This is my 4th year performing a benefit show for my son's school. I don't do many family and even fewer childrens shows so it is always special. When entering my son's school my name changes to Sebastian's Dad or the magician

Another thing that is making this year more special, it may be the first time my son (who works on weekends loading in, setting up and loading out at $10.00 per hour) actually wants to perform. I think it's mostly to show off for his classmates but he is showing an interest.

He's had magic kits and been around performing his entire life but never had a real interest (he did create my presentation for floating butterflies). I'm good with that as he can do whatever he wants as long as it's a positive thing, makes him happy and is going to help fulfill him.

One of my favorite performance pieces is my version of the Sorcerer's Apprentice, it's his to perform now
Illusions By Vick
bhayankaran
View Profile
Regular user
India
146 Posts

Profile of bhayankaran
Nice to hear its your son's first performance. 8 year old right? that's sweet!!!
Now who didn't start interest in magic as a way to show off?
All of us did.
And when he gets and stays interested that's when you ll be in trouble!
All my best wishes for your son's performances.
Do let us know those wonderful moments.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » On What Magic is (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL