The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Purchasing complete shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
Does anybody know where I would be able to purchase complete school assembly shows such as "Say No to Drugs", 'Self Esteem", etc.? Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Dennis Michael
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Just remember.... if you purchase someone else's show, you're doing THEIR show... not yours.

Having said that, I bought every piece of material I could find last year on Anti drug shows. I combined several ideas, inserted my own personality, and came up with a show that was different from those that I looked at.

This year, I'm looking at effects that could easily be adapted to an anti drug message. It's harder this way, but I won't have to worry about other magicians asking "who's show" I'm using. It'll be mine.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
khuber
View Profile
Regular user
SLC Utah
125 Posts

Profile of khuber
Good advise .. Thanks Guys! Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have never thought of buying another magician's entire act. Feels kind of wrong to me.
Smile
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
If someone wants to sell it and someone wants to buy it - what's the problem?
Mark
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
There's no problem with doing it, it seems to me to show a lack of imagination on the buyers part.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I have bought some ready made shows over the years. but only for the idea's I have never performed the shows.
Phillip
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Emazdad "There's no problem with doing it, it seems to me to show a lack of imagination on the buyers part."

Ditto
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
I need That jump start .
So I could see buying a show
and then making it my own .

Some times you gust need that Blue Print
to bulid you show with
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have also bought presentations, only to jump start my own brain. It's also the same reason why I buy magic books, videos, DVDs etc.

I remember the first set of multiplying billiard balls I received. The instructions included a 1" square yellow paper with four pictures. The first picture was a hand holding one ball, the second picture was hand holding two balls...and well, you get the idea. I had paid good hard earned allowance for this effect and as a ten year old dreaming to become the next Cardini...I had nothing. Anyway, today after buying about 10 different routines, I have my own and love it.

Anyway, the shows referenced above...some are good and some just were not me. You just have to watch and decide for yourself. And remember that to be creative you have to have a solid educational foundation in the subject in which you wish to be creative.

Steven
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Are we forgetting our priorities?

What is most important here The Magic or The Message?

I recently hire a plummer and asked him not to fix my pipes like the other plummers because that was copying, I wanted him to be original! Now does that sound absurb?

If a message is done powerful with a stock effect and for the most part focused on the Kid Crowd, who cares about changing a successful product. It something you are not striving to be the leader in that feild. It is a living in your area if you are the first to present it to the schools.

This doesn't mean you can't revise it to fit you and your personality or character, it just means stock items (breakaway wand) can be done only one way for it to have the right effect...It must break! Same goes for powerful message items. Sometimes there really is no need to change it, maybe add to it and make it more powerful, but if it is designed well and gets rave reviews, why change it?

If an effect with a message is remembered, which reminds the kids not to smoke and it works well, why reinvent the wheel to say the same thing?

This applies only to packages message programs, not magic shows. Also Kids Shows are not the same as evening shows for adults. Success and fame really hinges on how different (original) you are from the crowd (Sylvester the Jester, Doug Henning, Neil Foster, Etc.)

Note: Of the many, many, tapes I have on kids shows, I have yet found an effect I have done exactly because there will be something in it I want to change that fits me. This also applies to message programs, however, some of them are not far off from the original.
Dennis Michael
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Well said DenDowhy.
Jesse Dains
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Jesse Dains
I never copy a routine or even a trick I avoid reading books and watching videos. I never watch other magicians perform for fear of being influenced by them. I try not to use the same words they do. When possible I speak in another language. I avoid wearing the same clothes as other magicians. I saw another magician driving a car like mine so I sold it. I even do my rope tricks with rocks, so I won’t be accused of copying.
I’m wakening up I’ll be all right in a minute.
……………..Jesse
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Jesse, the escape jacket you're wearing...Is it real or gimmicked?

Smile

BTW,

Someone told me a while back he went to most of the Las Vegas Magic Shows and when asked how were they, he replied:

If you seen one, you saw them all!

How many different ways can you produce a tiger?
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
If you are looking for something to spark your creativity I reccomend Barry Mitchel's new book
"The Magic of thinking creatively" I only recieved it this morning and clearly have not read it properly yet.However what I have read is exelent it is nearly all on Theming and creating your own effects it is a 235 page hardcover book and it has all of Barrys comercial effects explained plus the thinking of how he got to the finnished items
One of my best purchases this year I think and I have not finnished it yet
Phillip
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Thanks Phillip,

I met Barry and I must admit, his mind works 24/7 when it comes to creativity.

He once said he hates magic and magicians, but he lives for the next year's shows because he loves to create a new program with all new stuff.

Asfor the hating of magic and magicians, I personally belive he said in a satire format.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Den has PM'd me to say that the Mitchel book is not on his website. Barry emailed me about a month or more ago about the book and I had a preordered copy so if you want one I suggest you email barry on BarryMitchell@aol.com

Thanks
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
A magician asked another if he went to conventions, when he answered "no", the 1st magician then said "if you don't go to conventions then where do you get your patter?"
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
There's a golf course called "Tour 18" just outside of Houston, Texas that duplicates some of the greatest golf holes in the world (#17 at Sawgrass, Amen Corner at Augusta, #18 at Doral, etc...) Because they are copies doesn't mean they are lousy golf holes. It's the closest I'll ever get to playing the real thing...

Same here. You bought the rights, now practice and do it well.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Purchasing complete shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL