The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight jacket advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
I'm looking into purchasing my first straight jacket, most likely a magician's straight jacket, so I'm curious has anyone ever brought straight jackets from http://www.realstraightjackets.com
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
One things for sure, there's a whole lotta copyright theft happening on that web site. I see pics there from at least 4 other jacket sites. About the only pic I don't see there is mine!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hmmm, a picture of Tony Curtis being Interviewed by Curtiss Lovell. That was a fin event. I wonder how he got the picture. Honestly, the jacket Tony is holding was made by this company. I also have a jacket from here. I will tell you it is very nicely made and fits well. The owner is easy to work with on specific customizations and the price is reasonable. What I cannot tell you is how the jacket will wear over time. And yes chance, many of those pictures out to at least be cited as to where they came from, if not removed for out and out infringement.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
Ok that's good to know, because Chance got me scared, I thought it was BS site, so Cliff, you actually used this site to purchase a straight jacket?
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
I never said they didn't make jackets. From the pix, even I'd like to see the deluxe canvas & leather model up close. But they sure do need some help with their web site!
James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
Oh no I didn't mean to offend, I was just concerned and yea I agree... I'm interested in the magicians version considering this is my first jacket
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
I'd have a chat with Clyde if I were you. http://www.mighellsillusions.com is his website.

He's a pro EA and also on here. A fantastic chap to boot.

Give him a shout before you make your choice Smile

Ros

PS
I highly recommend you learn to escape a real sj rather than using a gaffed one.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
I would also recomend Clyde, I bought one from him, and all his jackets are extremly well made, and good looking.

I also second what Ross said, best you buy a real SJ, and learn to escape from it. Reason being is that some Magicians Jackets will not pass detalied inspecition, should it be required. Plus the satisfaction of knowing you escaped a regulation SJ is satisifying. Furthermore, they are farily easy once you learn how, and henceforth a better investment as they are cheaper than Magicians SJ.
making the unreal, real...really!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
To answer the quality question...

I have seen up close, or been in straitjackets from Cannon's Clyde's and this new company. All three offer quality products that will serve you well on stage. In terms of long term wearing I can only speak to the Cannon's jackets which wear long and well. the others look and feel really good.

I believe all three companies make both regular and gaffed jackets. Stay away from the gaffed, you really don't need that, and it precludes inspection.

James - I did not purchase it online, I met him at an escape convention here in California, and got to look closely and "try before you buy" his product. My size is unusual, so he custom built certain strap enhancements for me, there was no extra charge for these enhancements. He also labeled the jacket for me with the name of a well known asylum. There was a VERY small charge for that.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
Thank you for all of your help, and I understand what you are saying about gaffed SJ's but my only concern is what if I just cant get out of them haha
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
You'll get out.

It'll take a little practice, but everyone can learn how to escape an SJ.

Check out Jay Leslie's DVD on the SJ. It's very good and gives you the info you need for success in escaping a straitjacket.

It may not be possible in your area, but try and find some folks with straitjackets and try them on. That's the advantage of going to a convention I suppose.

I personally use a Posey SJ. I had the straps altered to the old style roller buckle type, but kept the front and side loops on. This helps specs do up the jacket rather than have them stress over the friction buckles.

I've recently taken the side loops off... Regular street work with the SJ during the summer almost killed me using the side loops. I've kept the front loop on just because I think it looks nice Smile

Humane Restraint also have nice jackets, although I've never used one. Many here have and like them.

Personally I don't like the jackets with all the leather on them. I prefer the plain white hospital style. But that's just my own preference.

Good luck with it. And don't worry too much about the getting out. You will get it Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
Alright thanks for all the help, I'll most likely go with Clyde, hes been helping me with other escapes questions with no problem at all
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I purchased from there and they have great customer service. My first jacket got lost in the mail so they sent another one free of charge.

I did not however get a gimmicked one. The regular jakcets are easy enough to get out of and are inspectable.

I'd order from there again.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
Thanks for the info Maloney, may I ask which one you purchased?
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-12-13 23:27, James Kaine wrote:
Thanks for the info Maloney, may I ask which one you purchased?

Of course. I purchased a real standar straight jacket with leather straps. The thing can take some wear and tear too.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I second the recommendation on Posey. Something that adds even more credibility is the sewn on warning that it may only be sold to medical professionals. On more than one occasion I've had a spec notice it while I asked them to examine it for "trap doors or zippers" ;-) And personal opinion on how they look - I think the Posey, or just plain heavy canvas jackets look more authentic than the ones with leather patches, straps, etc, which can scream "gaff"... FWIW...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Because of that label, I often ask the folks tying me up, if they're doctors. Since the answer is "no", I point out that they're committing a federal offense, and there are a whole lot of witnesses...so many possibilties for blackmail, eh?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Quote:
On 2009-12-10 23:25, James Kaine wrote:
Oh no I didn't mean to offend, I was just concerned and yea I agree... I'm interested in the magicians version considering this is my first jacket

In my opinion it is the same amount of effort to learn to get out of a real one as it is to try to make a fake one look hard. I would go for a regulation style jacket. The feeling of release is much more rewarding as well. But just my opinion. This place has some decent jackets especially if you want something a little different looking. But the also have the standard look. http://monkeydungeon.com/
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
James Kaine
View Profile
New user
Newington, Ct
74 Posts

Profile of James Kaine
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it, and thanks London, ill keep that site in mind when I make my purchase.
James Kaine

www.jkaine.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
If you want to save some money on a good product:

http://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/hurestja.html
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Straight jacket advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL