The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Learning basic card sleights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

masterofthecoin
View Profile
New user
Michigan
13 Posts

Profile of masterofthecoin
Despite my screen name, I'm very interested in learning card sleights. I've got Royal Road to Card Magic, but I would also like to buy a video or DVD on card sleights. The problem is... there are way too many video's out there to choose from.
What video/DVD do you recommend, I get to learn the basics of card slights?

I'm a beginner, but want to become one of those guys who can take a deck of cards and do crazy things with it... just a little dream of mine. Smile ....So, what should I get?
Ray Eldard
View Profile
New user
Phoenix, AZ
90 Posts

Profile of Ray Eldard
It's admirable that you're looking for a tape on sleights rather than effects. Richard Kaufman has a nice video that I believe is called Basic Card Sleights or Basic Card Moves, something Basic, that is a nice starting point.

Also, Giobbi's Card College books are a fantastic resource. I know you asked about vidoes, but they're still worth mentioning.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Well, until Expert Card Technique comes out on video or DVD...

I feel many of the videos/DVD's show, rather than truly teach many sleights. But actually seeing the move done can be helpful. However, I am sure more qualified video watchers will give you some excellent suggestions.

I would recommend the books, Expert Card Technique by Hugard and Braue and the Card College series by Roberto Giobbi. Apart from giving you the sleights they give examples of tricks using them, and sleights are best learned as part of an effect then you have a practical use for them from the start.

Paul Hallas
The Pianoman
View Profile
Veteran user
Lliving in Scotland.
334 Posts

Profile of The Pianoman
Something else to consider, could be, check out the thread where the pros talk about the sleights they use regularly, ie.. Force, Top change, double lift, and you will be suprised at how few sleights they use.

It's very easy to think you need to learn every sleight just because it exists.

It all depends on what your trying to acheive in the end.

Regards Alan
masterofthecoin
View Profile
New user
Michigan
13 Posts

Yea...I understand that it's pointless to learn every single sleight out there. Then again, wouldn't that make you that much cooler if you did? I'm just looking to learn sleights for the purposes of being able to do flashy things with a normal deck of cards.
mikeB
View Profile
New user
UK
84 Posts

Profile of mikeB
I started with Royal Road and then bought a few of Michael Ammar's tapes to see how the sleights were used. Then onto E-books with Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, Expert Card Technique, Sleight of Hand and The Expert at the Card Table. Now I am slowly acquiring the Daryl tapes. I find, that for me, a combination of books and videos really works well.
Cheers

Mike
Your Reality Is A Figment Of My Imagination
Leeo
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
99 Posts

Profile of Leeo
I think you should be looking for something on flourishes, rather than sleights, if you're looking to do "flashy" things with a deck of cards.

I think I'm correct in saying that sleights should be used as a secret maneuver for an effect. Sleights should never be used to show somebody how cool you are with a deck of cards, they should be the secret weapon in a magician's armoury.

For example, you wouldn't show someone a double lift and then expose the method to them. I suggest you look at the Show Off videos, or Art of Card Manipulation videos. Here I'm sure you'll learn plenty of things.

In terms of card magic, a sleight remains infinitely more impressive if it is unseen.
Hope this helps, and I don't mean to preach!

Best regards,
Leeo
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
If you get Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights video series and Giobbi's Card College you will be knee deep in sleights for the next two years. If you want to go waist deep check out the Allan Ackerman video series as well.

I would recommend you stay away from the fourish videos like until you can back that up with some impressive card magic. Not to mention Show off is probably the most technically demanding video I've ever seen.

And I really don't feel it's pointless to be at least familiar with every sleight out there especially when you start constructing your own effects and routines. Smile
Yakworld.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
There are a couple of books which address this very issue... "Cuts, Counts, Slights and Subtleties," by Jerry Mentzer, tells and shows you different moves. Daniel Rhod has a more photographic book that's excellent as well... you can get it from many magic shops; I just saw it last week at Haines House of Cards http://www.haineshoc.com
in Cincinnati. Both books are valuable.

Beyond that, I'd recommend a couple of the Ammar tapes (or DVDs), to see how he implements the moves. I know I keep returning to the same point, but for my money, his instructions are clear, well thought-out, and have served me well.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
Rolando Santos
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga.
86 Posts

Profile of Rolando Santos
The Royal Road to Card Magic is a must have. Expert Card Techique is too after you get grounded in card magic. RRTCM is a bit better for getting started. The best book descriptions are in the Card College books. In order-- I would buy Royal Road and then Card College.

Now then, the Daryl tapes are the best for visual learners like me. In fact, I have played them so much, I will need to get them on DVD soon because the tapes are worn out.

The tapes have the added benefit of a one stop reference for just about every card sleight around.

Good luck

rolando
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Both "Royal Road..." and the "Card College" series mentioned earlier have a lot going for them. Accurate descriptions and the fact that they teach a sleight and then an application for the sleight. Teach another sleight and then an application that uses one or more of the sleights previously explained.

This "building blocks" method is perfect for learning the basics, building a foundation of sleights and moving upward to more difficult moves.

For this reason, these two books (and others that do likewise) are highly recommended for students at ALL skill levels.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
maurile
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
102 Posts

Profile of maurile
I learn better from videos myself, but Card College is so clear (both the text and the illustrations), it's really just as good as a video. (The purists will cringe when I say that a book is as good as a video -- and mean it as a compliment.) Smile

But if it's videos you're interested in . . .

For sleights, you can't beat Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights. However, the full set is very expensive ($200+). A much cheaper video that covers a lot of the same material, though not in nearly as much depth, is Richard Kaufman's Basic Card Technique. (Kaufman's video is to Royal Road what Daryl's videos are to Card College.)

But you mentioned "flashy things". For these, get volume 1 of Jeff McBride's The Art of Card Manipulation. Unless you do stage stuff, volume 1 is all you'll need (unless you get into back palming, which I think is on volume 3). Volume 1 has some fans, some color changes, some productions -- you know, "flashy things".

Hope that helps.
masterofthecoin
View Profile
New user
Michigan
13 Posts

Hmmm.....well guys, you pulled through once again with some great advice. I was considering the McBride and Kaufman video's...they looked very interesting. I'm still working through Royal Road, but I think with that book, some of these video's, and lots of time and practice, I can become pretty good myself. Thanks a bunch guys! I'll let you know how I'm doing with it..... Smile
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Here'a another nice little tip: slowly record the text of the technique onto a tape recorder. Make sure you have plenty of pauses between sentences. Play it back with cards in hand and you can concentrate more on what you're doing and figure things out a little faster.

This goes doubly for learning complicated routines such as a convoluted packet trick (like Bob Farmer's "Mutanz"), Slydini's newspaper tear, "Daryl's Rope Routine" or Kenner's "Three Fly."

I use it all the time and it's a great help.

corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
If you're looking for flashy things to do with cards, why not try some of Lee Asher's material. I know he has a video tape or two and he does some wild sleights and flourishes on those tapes (excellent effects too!).
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
The advice I give to all people with this question, get Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights (on DVD if possible). You will learn enough sleights to keep you busy for years and some nice tricks that use them. Check out foolerdoolers.com for some more info (Daryl's Site).

I would strongly recommend not getting McBrides Art of Manipulation vids (if you were even thinking about it) as they don't really teach you any sleights or tricks, just manipulations. They are a great set of videos but for a relative newbie to the world of card magic they will be hard and not all that useful to you. You will learn to use quite a few fancy flourishes but if you are just getting through TRRTCM you definitely will want to build up your sleight and trick repertoire first.

You might also want to invest in Expert at the Card Table, it's a relatively cheap book that is regaurded as a sequel to TRRTCM, it is a virtual library of card tricks and sleights.

May the cardboard be with you Smile
(yes I am a tired goofball)
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2002-04-04 15:43, r4bid wrote:
You might also want to invest in Expert at the Card Table, its a relatively cheap book that is regarded as a sequel to TRRTCM.

Correction: "Expert at the Card Table" was written by Erdnase decades before Royal Road. I think the book r4bid meant was "Expert Card Technique," which WAS written by Jean Hugard and Fred Braue, the same duo that did Royal Road.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Oooh sorry, big mistake there on my part. I really should have checked that before I posted, I always have trouble keeping track of book names. It's been awhile since I looked at either of those books, maybe I should go dig through my library.

Expert at the card table and Expert Card Technique are both great books anyways...
thelastdoctor
View Profile
New user
Dayton Ohio/USA
69 Posts

Profile of thelastdoctor
Thanks Geoff,

I never thought of that. What a great idea. Thanks again for sharing.

The Last Doctor
?who?
:stout:
The Last Doctor
?who?:stout:

I’m always looking for the perfect pint or sugar free Jelly Babies...
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Quote:
I never thought of that. What a great idea. Thanks again for sharing.

You're very welcome. I used the tape recorder method while learning Slydini's "Torn & Restored Newspaper" many years ago and it worked so well I've been using it ever since.

The more complex a routine is, the more it helps in getting it down pat.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Learning basic card sleights (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL