The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just landed my first gig! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
Yesterday I went out with a friend. a mutual acquintance was working at a bar, and I just asked if he needed some "magical entertainment". and he said yes!

second week of januari at a restaurant, doing magic at the dinnertables from 6 till 8. first one is free, if it goes well I can return and get paid.

I'm putting together my tricklist, and so far I'm going to do this (ive decided to skip the tricks I'm still a little uncertain of):

- pressure (telephone in balloon)
- biddle trick
- clip line
- sinful (coin trough soda can)
- that effect when you teach how to deal cards, and you get 4 kings, spectator 4 aces, I forgot the name
- ambitious card

reserve
- 2 card monte
- CMH+stargazer

I believe this will be enough, do you agree?

I would really appreciate any tips!

Servaas
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Servaas,

Congratulations!

6 Effects probably is enough.

Long term try to develop an off the table non-card effect for every card effect you do.

Watch out for drinking to calm the nerves, many a great Magician has lost his chops and or his health that way.

Have fun. Be amazing.

-Mary Mowder
piraino
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of piraino
Congratulations!

Quote:
On 2009-12-11 03:11, servaas wrote:

- that effect when you teach how to deal cards, and you get 4 kings, spectator 4 aces, I forgot the name

That's Shuffling Lesson.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
You have enough effects, but you may find yourself struggling to deal with the constant stream of performing and no time to reset given your list. I would make sure you have many more effects that don't require any reset. Still, congratulations! Let us know how it goes.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Congratulations!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Congratulations too.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Congratulations! (You never forget your first time!) Smile

Your choices look good, and that’s a good number (plus some reserves. Smart!)

Now don’t over-think it. Just do what you’re good at and HAVE FUN!

I don’t think I’d have alcohol at all, but do have a glass of water stashed somewhere in case of dry mouth.

Then be sure to come back in January and tell us how great you were!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Knock em dead!
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Congratulations! You are well on your way!
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

I don't plan to drink, thanks for the advice. ive tried to do some coin vanishes with a few glasses of wine in me, that wasnt a big succes.

how do you decide which amount of tricks you do? probably just your gut feeling right?
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear servaas,

Good call on the alcohol.

Lots of your questions may be answered in Table Hopping and Strolling Magic. Look for when to perform, dealing with staff, quick wrap up when food comes, kids at the table etc...

If you're a regular you'll want to preserve your Magic a little. I often do 2 or 3 effects in a routine or let the conversation lead me. My partner does longer sets but he is more skilled and has a larger repertoire.

Watch the spectators. Are their eyes darting around? Are they leaning forward? What kinds of looks are they exchanging? are they smiling? We can all read the signs if we have the presence of mind to look.

They would not have said yes if they didn't think you were fun. Relax and remember you are sharing something wonderful with the patrons. Approach the table like you're passing out free cookies.

-Mary Mowder
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
176 Posts

Profile of coolini
Good luck with your gig mate,

which ambitious card routine do you want to do, will you end with the card in pocket?
that's stronge but a lot of things can go wrong with an ACR...
and by the way I like Mary Mowder advice of approaching the table as if you are passing out free cookies...well said.
I hope you do great
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Quote:
Approach the table like you're passing out free cookies.

Wow, Mary, everything you've said is spot on, but THIS is a classic!
(Still laughing!)
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-12-11 17:50, coolini wrote:
Good luck with your gig mate,

which ambitious card routine do you want to do, will you end with the card in pocket?
that's stronge but a lot of things can go wrong with an ACR...
and by the way I like Mary Mowder advice of approaching the table as if you are passing out free cookies...well said.
I hope you do great

I have 2 options, one with the bent card, and one I came up myself (but probably existst already...), I torn the dupe of the first card, sign a second, and do a transpo where the first one appears again. the first one is totally impromptu, so I think I go with that one.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Adding sponge balls could be fun too.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Hi James
ive been thinking about that, its an option for future performances, because I want to have something cool for the kids also (and I believe spongeballs is very nice for the children?)
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Or those 3D sponge rabbits.

I would suggest that you bring along some spare items on that day. You don't have to perform them but you never know. It's better to be prepared than caught offguard.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
JamesTong is right, bring extra items but you don't have to carry all on your person. You can stash a bag in the server station. Also, don't bring anything you don't feel comfortable performing your first time. Go with the tried and true.

-Mary Mowder
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
4 tips I can give for bar work -

1)warm up on strangers in the street before the gig to get into "the zone" - don't use booze.
2)less is more - they'll come find you later if they want to see more.
3) Make sure its a performance and not just some tricks - have a structure and a build up to a finale.
4)have an invisible deck in your back pocket in case it goes wrong - it is the perfect out.

have fun!!!!!!!!- less than 1% of people ever make a penny from something they truly love to do - on my fist night of paid magic, the first 10 min were scary as hell and the next 3 hrs were utter bliss.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
You have found your place to be bad (we all had to at one time)

Focus on making sure you can get beyond reducing the art to little puzzles and work to make a presentation.

Study Tommy Wonder, his work will give you more insight into presentation and effects than you can ever imagine.

Instant resets, look to Tommy Wonder. Almost all his close up (pocket) work was designed to instantly reset

Again Do not reduce the art to little puzzles.

Be an Artist, show the public what magic can be.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 11:22pm
And Always leave them wanting more.
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just landed my first gig! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL