The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just landed my first gig! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
You should really add sponge balls. You can do them on adults too, call them something, maybe "oddballs" or "aliens", etc. The "two-in spectator hand none in yours" is a very strong piece of magic.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
Thanks vick

the instant resetting is something I'm thinking about

the part about finding a place to be bad, I get your point, but I feel that's a magicians point of view, the spectator can still have a blast. without me being the top performer yet
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Hey congrats Servaas! Knock em dead and let us know how dead they get!
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Paul Wilsons "the resturant act" dvd is great regarding instant reset - there is likley nothing new on there in terms of learning tricks - but its nice to have a set routeen of "whats in what pocket" to begin and end with. Plus the general tips for novice performers are so good you forgive the awful music.
Bean
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Bean
No advice whatsoever, just CONGRATULATIONS! Now, go knock 'em for a loop and let us know how it went.
djhart54
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of djhart54
Congratulations! Drinking water or apple juice ahead of time helps dry mouth. Avoid coffee, soda, alcohol. I keep a glass of water handy out of sight, then when I see an audience member/helper off stage and ask for a "big round of applause for...", I turn and take a quick swig - most eyes are on the helper. Have fun!
Phil Tawa
View Profile
Regular user
Mass.
103 Posts

Profile of Phil Tawa
Here's a set that works well:

1)T.tip streamer bu wrapping dollar around it and making a production
"cone" out of it. (remove it slowly for emphasis)
2) Dream queen
3) Multiplying 3-D bunnies
4) Professors nighmare
5) Kids Kards is fun.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
438 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
You've had some great advice here, I'd like to congratulate you too.
I'm trying to think of something to add - how about this:

1) There's a hot topic of debate amongst experienced magicians on the 'strolling' forum on how to approach a table. Many a beginning restaurant magician worries about this. Opinion tends to divide on whether to go up to the table and just 'hit' them with your magic, or whether you ask their permission first. I'm with the latter school personally. A great tip though is rather than ask 'Excuse me would like to see some magic?' is to (smile first!) and say "Excuse me, the management have asked me to go round the tables offering close up magic entertainment for a few minutes until your food arrives - would like to see some?" (smile again). Watch out for tables where they are giving you eye contact -it generally means they want you. Ask the waiters to ask if the customers might want you too!
2) Do you have anything for larger tables? A table of 10-18 guests is a different kettle of fish to a table of 4! (Especially if its long and narrow). I'd suggest 'parlour magic' items such as ropes or Sankey's 'Bigger Finnish' (I always do that one in my stand up act and at long tables in restaurants). Another one I like is called 'Rainbow Deck'. BTW, another option at long tables is to do 2 close up performances at each end. Experienced magicians will tip you to adapt your standard routines to performing them at chest height rather than on the table so that everyone can see.
3) Whilst it is good to have more effects than you need + reserves as you and others say (essential in fact), be careful about putting them all in your pockets. Apart from fumbling in pockets it causes confusion in one's mind about what to perform next (well, to me it does anyway!) Better to keep 2 or 3 things behind the bar/the till etc that you can go and get when needed.

Good luck - you're well on your way!
mrsmiles
(UK)
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Thanks all

I will go with properly introducing myself to a table.

for the rest of the month I will focus on the presentation of my tricks. larger tables isn't an issue yet, they don't have them there.
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Ok I did some test rounds yesterday, and my conclusions:

sinful is not going to work, it can create some sticky mess, and it needs a little bit more space, so that's out. I need to walk to the fridge to reset, that I didn't like either. still a beautiful piece of magic, but for me in a impromptu party going way.

pressure, I'm starting to like it less and less. older people fall for it, young kids and mentally disabled also(ive tried and tested that), but every person between 20 and 30 immediately figured it out.

I will switch out pressure also.

for the other effects, I have decent presentations for each of them, so I will spend the next days learning a cool visual non-card effect to replace sinful, and then I'm ready again.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

A few weeks further, and some stuff has changed:

I took the advice and learned a spongeball routine, and ive added my favorite card effect, the repertoire is like this now:

smoke
2 card monte
ambitous card
spongeballs
biddle trick
clip line

and the same reserves
mgcpwrs
View Profile
New user
San Jose, CA
53 Posts

Profile of mgcpwrs
Congratulations - that is great news!
Like Mary said - Be Amazing. (and have fun)
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Just did it, had a wonderful time. also a major learning experience. I will come back tomorrow and tell some more.

they want me back for a regular job 2 times a month, so that is very cool!
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
Congrats Man, that is the way to start!

Back in the day (over 30 years ago), that is similar to how my father started getting consistant gigs. As much as he sometimes looks and talks down about these initial jobs (in his career) I think he was probably making decent money considering tips and such . . . I think that is really "the moment" - when you realize "Yes, I just made some money doing Magic!!" nothing can come close to matching that . . .
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Looking back it was a profound learning experience. mostly on audience management level, its a lot different this way, but also more fun. I sense that the effects work better in specific situations, and also worse

the nerves werent an issue, only the first two performances. I had some real fun yesterday.

for the other performances I get paid, so that's good

also some sleights need some more work, my triple turnover was sloppier then normal

and when performing smoke. I noticed that everyone (!) had picked a red card, did it about ten times
realsennaho
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of realsennaho
Congratulations Smile
And I am happy to read that the gig went very well!
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
542 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Gefeliciteerd!! (= Congratulations)

Good to hear everything went the way it should go.

another Dutch Pro is born! Smile
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Way to go man! Congratulations on the regular booking ;0
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2010-01-19 16:22, TheMagicianGuide wrote:
Congrats Man, that is the way to start!
I think that is really "the moment" - when you realize "Yes, I just made some money doing Magic!!" nothing can come close to matching that . . .

No it's when you have the talent, the money is second, the art is first. If you chase the money your not fully realizing your art

and that is just one of the many challenges with most so called performers

Whne you perfect your art ..... the money comes to you

and that is part of the hard work of clubs, restaurants and so on
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2010-01-20 03:41, Servaas Koomen wrote:
Looking back it was a profound learning experience. mostly on audience management level, its a lot different this way, but also more fun. I sense that the effects work better in specific situations, and also worse

the nerves werent an issue, only the first two performances. I had some real fun yesterday.

for the other performances I get paid, so that's good

also some sleights need some more work, my triple turnover was sloppier then normal

and when performing smoke. I noticed that everyone (!) had picked a red card, did it about ten times

Well done sir, keep it up. Fun for them, fun for you. Give them art, an expereince, you represent all who have went before you, you owe your best to your audeince, yourself and to all who have went before you.

As much as I dislike strolling and feel it hurts the art (and tends to attract the worst performers) this is going to be a good place for you to learn.

How was your pocket management?

Have you gotten the Tommy Wonder material yet?

When you earn $, invest a % back into your act. Buy wisely
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just landed my first gig! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL